What's new

Raymond Davis Case: Developing Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which police report? The first one in which the police immediately asserted they killed men were known robbers, or the police report in court after the incident had become politicized so no official dared stand up for the Americans out of fear of violence or a maimed career? Isn't this similar to what happened after Mumbai, when the local Pakistani police quickly determined the home village of the surviving attacker (link) but were then compelled to clam up for months?

Perhaps now these Pakistanis feel that now they have nukes they can ignore such things, or make their own rules, or re-write the existing ones? I consider this evidence they don't think like free men but are stuck in a master/slave mentality. The powers-that-be in Pakistan must be very arbitrary and corrupt for people to think this way. Rule of law, as I see it, started decaying in the very first years after Jinnah passed away.

To the Pakistanis here, I'll say this: principles are what you fight for. A forum discussion is a kind of verbal battle. The principles Pakistanis demonstrate they are upholding are not kind or pleasant or just ones. When Benjamin Franklin emerged from the Philadelphia Convention and was asked what kind of government the new United States of America would have he answered, "A Republic, if you can keep it." Doing so demands a lot more from a citizen then merely marching with a mob to uphold the latest Five-Minute Hate; it requires the willingness to argue, justify, and strive for democratic leadership by contesting the will of your peers. Messy, but if you can't do that either out of fear or modesty or temper, then either you don't have what it takes to be a good citizen or your institutions are structured incorrectly and need revision. How many of you have held up the principles of international law which demand Davis' release?

So the court has different police report, perhaps it is possible when the CIA is behind the police reports. Just becuase you can talk like a sly fox does not make you honest, you lie, as usual with all your corage and determination which happens to be the inborn trait of most americans. You live under the shades of "deniability' but that does not wash away your crimes. With your master like tone you talk about "master-slave mentality", keep up your dirty work, soon you might be given a pay cheque from the CIA.

The old tug of war is on between PPP and PML-N--

PPP is in very awkward position now-- and PML is taking full advantage of it-
That i was thinking too.raymond davis case has more to do with pakistani local politics than the relation between usa and pak.Anyway nawaz sharief is never liked by usa and now Nawaz group has got the davis case to pay usa back in same coin.

Look what is she saying "even the technical and administrative staff has the immunity."

President Asif Ali Zardari’s spokesman Farhatullah Babar dismissed Ms Wahab’s statement, saying that it was her personal view.

“This is neither the policy of the party nor the government,” Mr Babar said.

He said the government and the PPP had “made it very clear that Raymond Davis’ case is before court and the court will decide the issue”.

Dawn.com

Last edited by a moderator:
What a sold out w-----re 3 pakistani died and she is preaching us let the arse free

that's not the first time ..... it started way back in nawaz period when he sold out KANSI .........
and about rahat indian has right to detain him ...........that was case of Anti Money Loundering.

President Asif Ali Zardari’s spokesman Farhatullah Babar dismissed Ms Wahab’s statement, saying that it was her personal view.

“This is neither the policy of the party nor the government,” Mr Babar said.

He said the government and the PPP had “made it very clear that Raymond Davis’ case is before court and the court will decide the issue”.

Dawn.com

May be Fauzia did not have breakfast or was drunk or hung over from the night before. Does anyone know when was the last time Fauzia visited a psychitrist? Please share.

May be Fauzia did not have breakfast or was drunk or hung over from the night before. Does anyone know when was the last time Fauzia visited a psychitrist? Please share.
lolz no one remembers its been a long time ....... i think she will visit when she joins opposition.

Why is this mr mastan is insulting us all I think he isn't very proud to be a Pakistani or maybe he's just arrogant but a very misinformed arrogant I must say

Sir,

I am a very humble pakistani---in your lack of understanding the use of the term---proud---it is not used just because of being---. You can be proud of the accomplishment and achievements of different people in different fields---but it is the dumbest creation of pakistanis to "proud to be a pakistani"---that shows some issues related to self esteem either good or bad---you get my drift----. I guess they are being proud that their parents created them----then you can be proud of your parents---.

Pakistan doesnot need you to be proud of its nationality----pakistan needs you to do things that it can be proud of your achievements---pakistan needs you to get to that level that it say---yes I am proud of my citizen---.

Nations are proud of its people who do extraordinary things---nations are proud of people who achieve the highest goals in life---people don't get proud of their nations just because they are born in it---that is the dumbest of all the things that the pakistani youth have created over the years---.

Why have they created it---because of their incompetence---. Why----for a nation to be proud of you----a pakistani has to work very hard---real honestly---and reach that certain pleateau with courage honour and dignity---well most these items are foreign to quite a few of my countryment----so they chose otherwise---they came up with the idea---what if I can be proud of my country---and I don't have to do all that.

So---that is the background of " proud to be a pakistani "---if you like to---we can discuss it further---.

And also---THIS TERM IS ALSO VERY UN-ISLAMIC-----a muslim is never a proud whomsoever---you can be proud of someone else----but not of yourself---.

Now as for Shah Mahmood Qureshi----I just talked to someone senior in the pak circle of influence---Mr Qureshi took a gamble---he wants to be the interimprime minister of pakistan---seemingly---there are issues with the current govt that it may not last for long----so he was trying to solidify his position for that post.

I guess he forgot that the position of interim prime minister goes through the office of the sec of state Mrs Clinton----

That i was thinking too.raymond davis case has more to do with pakistani local politics than the relation between usa and pak.Anyway nawaz sharief is never liked by usa and now Nawaz group has got the davis case to pay usa back in same coin.

Sir,

This is more of a game being played between PML N and PPP---pmln wants to cash onto the oppurtunity and wants to try to make the ppp look bad---. The problem is the the issue is bigger than what the pmln can chew and swallow---they have taken a bigger bite than they can handle and they are going to choke on it----actually they are choking on it----and the bottomline is----it will strangulate pakistan---.

Ordinary pakistanis will suffer---it is the fight of two bull elephants---the ppp and the pmln---the catalyst is Davis---and it is the people who will suffer when their lives are trampled upon---and at stake is the well being of pakistan and pakistanis. It is a matter of shame that the pmln has chosen to put the nation as the shield to take the brunt of the attack.

The lies that punjab govt has put forward and the police oficer Mr Tareen has come with----has nothing to do with the welbeing of the country but for their own personal gains---.

I have recieved information that those two were criminals and this info comes from reliable sources---it was the duty of the police to be truthfull in this case. Tareen's staement reeks of deceit when he stated "yes there were bullets in the magazine, but no round in the chamber"---why would he say such a deceptive thing to mislead the nation---. His statement meant that as there was no bullet in the chamber---there was no threat.

I also saw the video that was on BBC news----the shots were fired from within the car----the front windshield had holes in it and the rear one was blown out---those two were not just stopped at the light with pistols showing from the hip---but rather pointed at the car---.

Nawaz and party is playing with fire---this fire will burn a lot of people. And some of you pleasure seeker will enjoy the death and misery of others---just so that you can be proud of your stubbornness.

Raymond Davis 'has diplomatic immunity' in Pakistan

The US government has announced that it will certify before a Pakistani court later this week that a US citizen in custody over the deaths of two men in Lahore has diplomatic immunity.

Raymond Davis was remanded for 14 days on Friday over last month's killings.

Mr Davis, 36, has admitted he shot the men, but says he acted in self-defence as they were trying to rob him.

The case is threatening to derail US ties with Pakistan, a crucial ally in the fight against militants.

Mr Davis is charged on two counts - murder and possession of illegal weapons.

The court has ordered the Pakistani government to clarify US embassy claims that he has immunity.

On Monday US state department spokesman PJ Crowley told reporters: "On Thursday, we will present a petition to the court to certify that he has diplomatic immunity and that he should be released."

He said Pakistan had an "international obligation" to release Mr Davis because he "has diplomatic immunity".

"We respect our international obligations, and we expect other countries, including Pakistan, to do the same," he added.

Correspondents say the Pakistani government is under domestic pressure to try Mr Davis at home.

Mr Davis has reportedly been sent to the high-security Kot Lakhpat jail in Lahore. His next hearing is scheduled for 25 February.

He is said to have told police that he acted in self-defence during the incident on 27 January because the motorcycle rider and his pillion passenger tried to hijack his vehicle at gunpoint.

As his colleagues came to his aid, their vehicle ran over and killed a third person.

It is not clear what Mr Davis's role in Lahore was - American officials in the capital Islamabad have said only that he was an US embassy employee who was part of the "administrative and technical staff".

The Associated Press news agency says Pentagon records show that Mr Davis is a former Special Forces soldier who left the army in 2003 after 10 years of service.

BBC News - Raymond Davis 'has diplomatic immunity' in Pakistan

All foreign mission staff in Pakistan have diplomatic immunity: Fauzia Wahab

All diplomats, technical and administrative staff of foreign missions in Pakistan have immunity under the Vienna Convention and the US official arrested for shooting and killing two men in Lahore is no exception, a spokesperson for the ruling Pakistan People's Party said today.

PPP leader Fauzia Wahab made the remarks while interacting with the media at the Karachi Press Club.

However, she said she was making the remarks in a personal capacity.

Pakistan is a signatory to the Vienna Convention and has its own law of 1972 on the privileges of diplomats and according to these regulations, all diplomats have "immunity from detention and from arrest," she said.

"The technical and administrative staff (of foreign missions) also have immunity," she added.

Wahab said Raymond Davis - the US official arrested in Lahore last month after he gunned down two men he claimed were trying to rob him - had an "official business visa".

Arguing over his status could put Pakistan's "overall good reputation with the rest of the world" at risk, she contended. Pakistan has to handle Davis' case with care as the US is the largest provider of aid to the country, she said.

The US is the biggest market for Pakistani products that generates revenues of $4 billion and a large number of Pakistanis live there, she said.

Asked about former foreign minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi's reported claim that he refused to grant a diplomatic visa to Davis, Wahab said Qureshi had violated the PPP's discipline by making such claims.

Washington's relations with Islamabad have hit a new low after Pakistani leaders rejected several US demands for Davis to be freed on the ground that he enjoys diplomatic immunity.

Reports have suggested that the PPP decided not to reallocate the foreign affairs portfolio to Qureshi during a recent shake-up of the cabinet as he was opposed to granting immunity to Davis.

Pakistani police have rejected Davis' claim of acting in self-defence and accused him of murder in an interim charge-sheet.

The government too is under pressure to put Davis on trial due to rising anti-American sentiments in the country.

The US has put off high-level talks with Afghanistan and Pakistan following the failure of attempts to free Davis.

American lawmakers have threatened to cut civil and military aid to Pakistan.

All foreign mission staff in Pakistan have diplomatic immunity: Fauzia Wahab - World - DNA

Pakistan Islamists warn of protests if U.S. prisoner freed

By Zeeshan Haider

ISLAMABAD | Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:42am EST

ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - An influential Pakistani Islamist party accused the United States on Tuesday of riding roughshod in the case of a U.S. consular employee held over the killing of two Pakistanis and said it would hold protests if he is freed.

Raymond Davis was arrested after shooting two Pakistanis in what he called self defense during an armed robbery attempt and what Lahore's police chief called "clear-cut murder".

The United States is piling pressure on Pakistan to release Davis, saying his arrest was a violation of international conventions because he has diplomatic immunity.

Pakistan says the matter will be decided by its courts.

The issue has become a lightning rod for anti-American sentiment in Pakistan, which the United States counts as an important, if unreliable, ally in its war against militants that launch attacks against its soldiers in Afghanistan.

Jamaat-e-Islami, a religious and political party capable of organizing large protests, accused the United States of exerting "unprincipled and unlawful" pressure on Pakistan.

"Why is America hell bent on trampling on Pakistani law and its judicial system? We will forcefully protest if he is released without a court order," Jamaat-e-Islami deputy chief Liaquat Baluch told Reuters.

Jamaat-e-Islami and other religious parties don't win many votes in elections. But the government can't afford to ignore them.

Some members of the Pakistani media, which has in the past accused U.S. aid workers of being spies, have also called for Davis to be put on trial in Pakistan.

Supporters of the men Davis shot dead in the city of Lahore on January 27 have already held protests and burned U.S. flags.

Davis has been detained on remand since the incident.

On Thursday, the United States is expected to present a petition to a Lahore court to certify that Davis has diplomatic immunity and should be released.

Cash-strapped Pakistan is one of the largest non-NATO recipients of American military aid. But it is constantly battling the public perception that it is a U.S. puppet so has to tread cautiously.

In addition to the two men shot and killed by Davis, a third man was killed when a vehicle from the U.S. consulate, apparently en route to rescue Davis, struck and killed a passer-by. (Writing by Michael Georgy; Editing by Nick Macfie)

Pakistan Islamists warn of protests if U.S. prisoner freed | Reuters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom