What's new

Ranatunga sorry for Indian cricket

Dance

Reaction score
Sri Lanka's World Cup winning captain Arjuna Ranatunga has said that he feels "very sorry for Indian cricket."
In an interview to gulfnews.com, Ranatunga said: "I feel very sorry for Indian cricket. The way they are going they are heading towards a disaster. They won the World Cup but look at the way they are playing Test cricket. They are losing to most of the countries and don't produce any more Gavaskars, Vengsarkars or Viswanaths, Tendulkars, Dravids and Laxmans. I am talking about classical cricketers..."

Ranatunga also blamed the riches of the Indian Premier League for taking Indian cricket into wrong direction.

"They will now produce butchers because of the IPL. Most countries are now being controlled by the Indian cricket board because they are the kingpin and have all the money," Ranatunga added in the same breath.

According to Ranatunga, it was the lucrative offer from the IPL that prompted Sri Lanka's pace sensation Lasith Malinga to quit Test cricket.
"Players now prefer to play IPL rather than for their country. Malinga has retired from Test cricket because he wants to play in the IPL and our board did nothing. You cannot pick and choose.
"The IPL is entertainment for a public who does not understand the game. People who understand this lovely game will never get into the shorter version. I like the way the West Indies cricket board handled the issue of the IPL. They allowed their players to go and play in the IPL and continued to stage their international matches against Australia," he said.

Ranatunga also blamed the "spinless" Sri Lankan cricket board for its failure to stop players getting into the IPL trap.

"In the case of Sri Lanka, they played two Test matches and cancelled the third and also the one-day series to go and play in the IPL. We have a spineless cricket board that allowed this to happen. By doing this when we go to England we will also get to play only two Test matches. It is the younger generation who will lose by such acts.
"How can you stop the entire country from playing international cricket just to play in the IPL? There are seven cricketers from Sri Lanka in the IPL, out of which three or four are playing regularly and the rest are sitting on the bench. More than 300 cricketers are forced to stay at home doing nothing because of the IPL. It is not only hampering Sri Lankan cricket, but the entire world," Ranatunga was quoted.

Cricket | Indian Premier League | Ranatunga sorry for Indian cricket | ESPNSTAR.com

and I feel sorry for his chair....and wife :P

He can keep cribing all he wants, the fact is IPL is here to stay and to get selected in IPL the new Indian players have to perform well in ranji trophy.

he is right about IPL destroying the temperament of players and thus taking away the classic cricket from the internatiobal arena

it is not only the case for India but most of the nations... only exception is England, Australia and South Africa up to certain extents

Feel sorry for SL cricketers too who dearly wish to play in IPL...better read Jayawardene's recent comments on ur views about IPL.

Why not for yourself even...your harsh stand against BCCI at the time when SL board was bankrupt and depended on India series for revenues costed u ur SL board presidency.

Before the world cup started i said to myself that if India wins the cup i would never criticise my team for the next 4 years and i am sticking with it.

@RP Tumhare itne achche din agaye that now you are starting to feel sorry other country's cricket

@RP Tumhare itne achche din agaye that now you are starting to feel sorry other country's cricket

Mere ache din nhi ahey ..indian cricket k burey din zaror a ghey hein world cup k baad :D :P

mein tu sirf rana tunga ki haan mein haan mila rha hoon :P

atleast they are not doing fixing..:lol:

How do you know?

They might be doing fixing without giving you any prior notice. its just that they never get caught :)

Inida is hub of gambling if you know what i mean

I also feel sorry to Indian cricket :D
Kya kare jalan to hogi hi na..
@topic : He should see Angelo mathews playing here, once their doctors said he cannot play for months and see he is currently enjoying ipl. Your malinga leaved Test for T20 and IPL.. Sanga and Mahela r getting more money than their whole years income, what else they require..
And about our best friend, no comment is required.. For their cricketers politics is the best place where they can perform well..

Mere ache din nhi ahey ..indian cricket k burey din zaror a ghey hein world cup k baad :D :P

Milate raho ha me ha, shayad kabhi ek series fir se khelne aajaye..??;)

Bhaijaan humne wc ke baad england aur west indies ke khilaf home series jeete hai waise aap logon ne wc ke baad kitni homeseries jeete hain

Back
Top Bottom