What's new

Rana Plaza collapse not so serious: Suranjit Sengupta

idune

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Rana Plaza collapse not so serious: Suranjit Sengupta

The minister without portfolio Suranjit Sengupta on Sunday said that the incident such as the Rana Plaza collapse was nothing serious in a big industrial sector that has developed for more than 30 years.

‘Such an incident might take place in a big industrial sector [apparel sector] that has developed in the past 30 years. It is nothing serious,’ Suranjit, also a member on the advisory council of the ruling Awami League, said at a discussion in thecapital making the 90th birth anniversary of national-level leader AHM Quamruzzaman.

The eight-storey Rana Plaza, which housed five clothing factories, a shopping mall and a bank, collapsed on April 24, leaving at least 1,130 people dead and about 2,000 injured.
National and international quarters including the media raised concerns about the safety standards of apparel workers after the disaster.

The US president, Barack Obama, announced on Thursday the suspension of US trade privileges for Bangladesh because of concerns about labour rights and worker safety that intensified after hundreds died in a series of disasters in the apparel sector.

Speaking as chief guest at the discussion, the AL leader said that the Rana Plaza disaster was not the reason behind the US suspension of the generalised system of preference facility for Bangladeshi products to the US market. Suranjit blamed the leader of the opposition in the parliament, Khaleda Zia, for the suspension of the GSP facilities. He said that BNP chairperson earlier called on the US administration to cancel the trade facility that Bangladesh was enjoying in exporting its products to the country.

Rana Plaza collapse not so serious: Suranjit

No so serious ?

Wonder what would classify as serious to these Politicians ?

I think there should be a public platform after (if!!)election for these culprits. We the public will decide what to do with them.

Politicians should know how to communicate the words properly, lol.
He should have said, its unfortunate that such tragedy happened (bla bla with some more sympathetic words) but considering 30 years of history, its rare, and not a reason to suspend trade preference.
Send them to me for coaching.. :chilli:

I think there should be a public platform after (if!!)election for these culprits. We the public will decide what to do with them.

Public will vote for him again:lol:

I find it surprising that people tolerate men like him.

Bangladeshis are hence the most tolerant people in the entire Universe:angel:

suranjit sen would sell his mother to pirs of sylhet for vote

1200 lost souls , may they rest in peace , must be aghast at this statement.

What an ignorant fool would make such a Statement.

you are better than us in political violence.. we are tamed mostly now.

amar bhai tomar bhai gupta bhai gupta bhai :lol:
replace intolerant with stupid/ignorant and you hit the bulls eye. I think most Bangladeshis suffer from severe inferiority complex :hitwall:
the next generation joddhas don't look any good either if not worse

you are better than us in political violence.. we are tamed mostly now.

Conquest, war, famine and death are necessary depending on one's perspective.

But speaking from a politically (in)correct perspective, had that guy said that in India and given that the tragedy happened in India(suppose); he would have been resting in pieces:D

That's why I say, Bangladeshis are the most tolerant people in the world. From a politically incorrect perspective:angel:

You lot don't even come close:lol:

But don't despair (ah......sentiment)

Did you know how the Taliban executed Mohammad Najibullah?Sheesh:sick:

Conquest, war, famine and death are necessary depending on one's perspective.

But speaking from a politically (in)correct perspective, had that guy said that in India and given that the tragedy happened in India(suppose); he would have been resting in pieces:D

That's why I say, Bangladeshis are the most tolerant people in the world. From a politically incorrect perspective:angel:

You lot don't even come close:lol:

But don't despair (ah......sentiment)

Did you know how the Taliban executed Mohammad Najibullah?Sheesh:sick:

you have not heard some atrocious comments regarding rape and other matters by our politicians.. they usually retract the comment or go into hiding though...

amar bhai tomar bhai gupta bhai gupta bhai :lol:
replace intolerant with stupid/ignorant and you hit the bulls eye. I think most Bangladeshis suffer from severe inferiority complex :hitwall:
the next generation joddhas don't look any good either if not worse

That's true. But not most as you say.

They maybe stupid/ignorant. But not all. Among the common and ground-level people may know more than you and me.

What do those common folks lack?

Simple: Power

Way too much are concentrated among a minority of fat-a$$es.

There is very little that garment workers can do too secure their rights. And these people are not typically politically aligned or connected with any party.

They nay not be very educated but does that mean they are stupid?

:no:

They understand their rights.

Is there hope for them?

Yes.

How?

TICFA, along with possibly foreign influenced trade unions. Though that may not be the most optimal; they have few options.

you have not heard some atrocious comments regarding rape and other matters by our politicians.. they usually retract the comment or go into hiding though...

Well

Our's don't retract and hide when needed(they typically come back)

Back
Top Bottom