What's new

Rana Plaza Collapse (huge life losses)

t-shirt-pic20130503050838.jpg

Can't see your video as it's youtube link.

Use keepvid.com to directly download youtube videos.

What we need to understand is that our competition is not the US, but other cheap labor countries, mostly in Asia, like China, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and ASEAN countries. Some of these countries have better infrastructure and turn around time, but none have lower cost than Bangladesh. The downside with Bangladesh now is unsafe factories and huge Public Relations (PR) disaster due to factory fire and factory collapse like this and huge loss of lives, which high lights the slave-labor like situation we have in this industry. But this is not unique to Bangladesh, that point should be made. Its a global problem of current economic system.

This problem of slave-labor like situation in current globalized economic system cannot be solved just by not placing orders in Bangladesh. What we can do in Bangladesh is ensure factory safety, through mandatory installation of fire escape systems, fire suppression sprinklers etc. and also make sure that we have an army of building inspectors who would investigate construction, design and current usage (no heavy machinery in higher floors) and abandon or retrofit unsafe buildings. This is not rocket science. We have sufficient manpower in Bangladesh to do this, but BGMEA and govt. need to cooperate to make this happen. Unions should be allowed and should participate with these decision making, because it is their life on the line, and they should have a say.

As for high rise factory buildings, I am not a civil engineer, but restricting factory buildings to single story would stifle the garment industry in Bangladesh. As I mentioned before, only light machines like sewing machines can be used on higher floors. Heavier machines should use either ground floor, with separate foundation from the main high rise building or totally separate buildings. This is just my layman's opinion. Civil engineers specializing in factory building from our country and around the world can be hired to determine a policy.

It's inappropriate for the large multi national outsourcing companies in this textile industry (or their countries govt) to close down shop on account of this horrible accident

That's like insult to injury. What's needed is proper training and awareness and stricter building codes. How can you have thousands of people packed like sardines in such conditions. There's no value for life the way there is in the west

And I can't believe BD prime minister refused foreign help out of spite and false pride. Lives could've been saved. If Pakistan and India (one of the worlds largest enmities) can offer and accept aid or assistance to eachother after major natural disasters then one must ask why BD govt refused help

Did the figure for Bangladesh include the fuel costs involved in shipping the merchandise all the way from BD to US? :azn:

No..only the production cost but I think still it's much profitable producing in BD. Just add whole production cost as shipment cost, it then stands at $7.44 half than US production cost. Besides, if it's produced inside USA, it still needs shipment cost. Suppose from east coast to west coast it might need almost half of the BD to US cost.

I am just thinking aloud-we BD ppl by nature very PET-PATLA JATI.can't keep a secret more than 24hrs(male/female)and bitching is our fav pass time.then how did dead body from Rana Plaza got stolen/lost/burned without any one's knowing about it?please shed some light.

I am just thinking aloud-we BD ppl by nature very PET-PATLA JATI.can't keep a secret more than 24hrs(male/female)and bitching is our fav pass time.then how did dead body from Rana Plaza got stolen/lost/burned without any one's knowing about it?please shed some light.

As I can't keep in touch with the latest news, can you provide a link for that?

Valiant Savar rescuer Ezaj dies in Singapore

Dhaka: Ezaj Uddin Kaikobad, a rescuer who suffered serious burn injuries while trying to rescue trapped Shahina at collapsed Rana Plaza, died at Singapore General Hospital on Saturday. He breathed his last at 12:45pm (Singapore local time) while undergoing treatment at the hospital, said Ninth Infantry Division GOC Chowdhury Hasan Suhrawardy. Ejaj was sent to Singapore for better treatment by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina following suggestion made by the doctors on Wednesday. He was taken to Singapore General Hospital from Combined Military Hospital (CMH) by an air ambulance. The government had borne all the medical expenses of Ezaj in Singapore along with travel costs. On April 28, Ezaj Uddin was critically injured when he was trying to cut a concrete beam to rescue trapped Shahina Akter in the wreckage of the collapsed building at Savar. But the oxygen cylinder caught fire when he was cutting the beam and that led to the death of Shahina while Ezaj suffered fatal burn injuries. Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s attention was drawn as Ezaj had suffered serious burn injuries during rescue operation and she made arrangement to shift him to Singapore for better treatment. But all efforts went in vain as Ezaj gave in to death after fighting for life for seven days with serious burn injuries.

Valiant Savar rescuer Ezaj dies in Singapore

Back
Top Bottom