What's new

Ramadan Laws

As for the second para, I have absolutely no idea about this law. Because I came back from pakistan last week, after spending two fasts there, and there were juice stalls, and other eatables during the day, and some people were eating them, and no police came to beat them up or take them away.

People were eating during fast.

And, it is illegal for Muslims to eat before sunset in Ramadan, that is no pakistani law, but Islamic law. We all know how much hate Express tribune has stored up.

The author could have used a better source than the "Hindu" (an online Indian news paper as it seems) to point out this specific law. But a quick Google search says she is not far from the truth, when she's talking about this ordinance. Other newspapers also refer to it, including Pakistani:

Thou shalt not eat because I fast | DAWN.COM

25 held for violating Ramazan ordinance

It could be that overseeing this "Ramadan law" differs from place to place in Pakistan, that it's sometimes not strictly implemented or is seen as symbolic law by some police forces.

I know by heart that Morocco has a similar law. Pakistan would definitely be unique in this regard.

Chain thyself for Ramazan is here

I grew up believing that the holy month of Ramazan teaches patience, tolerance and self-restraint. I firmly believe that the month is considered holier than other months because it fosters the spirit of peace and harmony. However, during Ramazan, our roads, streets and workplaces paint an extremely different picture with impatience and chaos ruling every facet of our life. Whether we talk about the verbal assault spat out on each other during traffic jams or the agitation and laziness during work, it is quite evident that we fail to fulfill the sole purpose of observing, and most importantly respecting, a fast.

The month certainly demands respect, however, our concept of ‘Ehtram-e-Ramazan’ is rather convoluted and requires much rethinking. Each year, the month of blessings triggers an endless stream of diktats suppressing or restraining people with differing beliefs. This year was no exception.

According to media reports, tribal leaders in Serai Naurang area of Lakki Marwat, Kyber Pakhtunkhwa demanded the local law enforcing authorities to impose a ban on women shopping without a male relative during Ramazan. The demand, which fortunately remained unmet, was proposed by the tribal leaders to safeguard the ‘sanctity’ of Ramazan.

The question is how can a woman, who is not chaperoned by a man, disrespect Ramazan? Can something as petty as shopping alone disrepute one of the holiest months in the Islamic calendar?

The most blatant disrespect shown to the month of Ramazan occurred in Khanewal where a woman was stoned to death because she refused to reciprocate the sexual advances of a local landlord. The spirit of Ramazan was yet again marred when a WHO officer, whose job was to save our future generations from living as polio victims, was brutally shot dead in Karachi. The ideology of the month is demeaned every year when surging food prices make essential food items unaffordable for many people. The sanctity of the month is desecrated every day when countless mutilated bodies are found all over the country. Unfortunately, such incidents are not considered noticeable in the light of ideologies that pseudo-religious clerics preach and teach.

The fact that each one of us become an authority on religion during Ramazan and hold every supposed violator accountable for his acts is just absurd. During Ramazan people are segmented into two groups — the ones who fast and others who cannot or won’t fast — latter naturally being flagged as heretics and non-believers worthy of the highest punishment in the world and afterlife.

The Ehtram-e-Ramazan Ordinance of 1981 works as fuel to the fire as it empowers all such individuals to reprimand the ‘non-believers’. The ordinance clearly states that the people who are found eating, drinking or smoking in public places will be penalised according to the aforementioned law. The cafeterias of colleges and universities, hotels, restaurants and other recreational outlets such as cinemas are remaine closed during the duration of the fast. The violation of the law can result in up to three months in prison and a fine.

Every year, a fairly large number of people, who do not follow the instructions mentioned in the law, are arrested. The law is supposedly only for Muslims and exclude all non-Muslims; however, in 2009 two Christian men were arrested from the city of Silanwali for eating in public.

It is not only the law enforcement agencies that become devout believers during Ramazan. The moral police elements present amongst us in our society take their own initiatives and persecute people regardless of their age, gender and health. Religious lectures, instilling God’s fear by showing hypothetical visions of his wrath and at times verbal abuse haunt people who do not observe fast.

And all this is done in the effort to defend the true honour of Ramazan but the question is, can we actually gain respect through compulsion and harsh laws?

By imposing such policies we only suppress the people. Many non-Muslims, who I must reiterate, cannot be penalised under the 1981’s ordinance feel threatened and insecure whilst ordering or eating in even closed chambers. In a country where even the pettiest of issues can be classified as a blasphemous offence, their fear is certainly not based on unfounded grounds.

Still many people believe that the law is not harsh and should be strictly followed by everyone because all religions demand respect. Non-Muslims and Muslims, both, must respect Ramazan, not because it’s a special month for Muslims but because it results in better communal and religious relations.

True. No denying that, however, if one has to go by this policy then we should all impose a ban on public eating during lent and other revered days observed by Hindus. If that cannot be practised then the statement proves nothing but our double standards and hypocrisy.

Another school of thought is that seeing people eat entices those observing fast and make them crave food more, thus the act weakens their strength to fast. The question is what kind of respect are we talking about when we cannot even bear to look at anything palatable without drooling over it?

It is important to realise that Ramazan is the month of blessings and by clamping curfews on people and their lifestyles we only manage to demean its significance. It is a month to be celebrated and rekindle lost communal ties. It is indeed a month to spread the message of peace and love through affable intentions and deeds.

Let this Ramazan help us in breaking free from the clutches of intolerance and hypocrisy. Let’s not repeat the same mistakes and embrace the true message of this month which only lies in tolerance and coexistence.

Chain thyself for Ramazan is here | DAWN.COM

Instead of arguing of laws from country why not share Quranic & Sunnah laws regarding how to go about fasting etc.
=
Mosques issue charts with end-of-sahree times which are NOT correct.
What ppl in Pakistan commonly call as "Subh-e-Sadiq"(True Dawn) is actually "Subh-e-Batil"(False Dawn) according to Ahadees.

Time uptill when we can eat is given in Quran & Sunnah very clearly & it is about 40-45 minutes later than the time given on those charts.

=
=

Read Urdu text in red box... & also read other Ahadees below...
=

=
So this is the red(yellow)(as many old ppl still use the word yellow or red for orange color)
This is horizontal strip of light clearly discernible (Quran:2:187) from black hue of night.

=

Quran:2:187:- ...and eat and drink, until the white thread of dawn appear to you distinct from its black thread;....

Abu-Dawood:7:2341:-
Narated By Talq ibn Ali al-Yamami : The Apostle of Allah (pbuh) said: Eat and drink; let not the white and ascending light prevent you from (eating and drinking); so eat and drink until the red light spreads horizontally.

Sahih-Muslim:6:2406:-
narrated on the authority of Sulaiman Taimi with the same chain of transmitters and, at the end, it was said that the first Adhan was meant to awaken those who were in slumber amongst them and in order to make them turn who stand in (prayer) among them (towards food at the commencement of the fast). Jarir (one of the narrators) said that the Messenger (may peace be upon him) did not say like this but he said like it (true dawn) that the streaks of (true dawn = subh-e-Sadiq) are horizontal and not vertical.

Sahih-Muslim:6:2407:-
Samura b. Jandub reported Muhammad (may peace be upon him) as saying. The call of Bilal may not mislead any one of you (and he may, under the wrong impression gathered from it, refrain) from taking meal before the commencement of the fast (for the streaks) of this whiteness (which are vertical indicate the false dawn and the true dawn with which the fast commences is that when the streaks of light are) spread.

Sahih-Muslim:6:2409:-
Samura b. Jundub (Allah be pleased with him) reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: The Adhan of Bilal may not mislead you with regard to your food at the commencement of the fast, nor the vertical (streaks) of whiteness in the horizon (for it is an indication of false dawn). You should stop eating (food) till (the whiteness) spreads like it. Hammad narrated it and with the gesture of his band he explained the horizontal position (of the streaks of light).

Sahih-Bukhari:1:11:595:-

Narated By 'Abdullah bin Mas'ud : The Prophet said, "The Adhan pronounced by Bilal should not stop you from taking Suhur, for he pronounces the Adhan at night, so that the one offering the late night prayer (Tahajjud) from among you might hurry up and the sleeping from among you might wake up. It does not mean that dawn or morning has started." Then he (the Prophet) pointed with his fingers and raised them up (towards the sky) and then lowered them (towards the earth) like this (Ibn Mas'ud imitated the gesture of the Prophet). Az-Zuhri gestured with his two index fingers which he put on each other and then stretched them to the right and left. These gestures illustrate the way real dawn appears. It spreads left and right horizontally. The dawn that appears in the high sky and lowers down is not the real dawn.

Sahih Bukhari3:31:140:-
Narated By 'Adi bin Hatim : When the above verses were revealed: 'Until the white thread appears to you, distinct from the black thread,' I took two (hair) strings, one black and the other white, and kept them under my pillow and went on looking at them throughout the night but could not make anything out of it. So, the next morning I went to Allah's Apostle and told him the whole story. He explained to me, "That verse means the darkness of the night and the whiteness of the dawn."

Sahih Bukhari3:31:141:-
Narated By Sahl bin Saud : When the following verses were revealed: 'Eat and drink until the white thread appears to you, distinct from the black thread' and of dawn was not revealed, some people who intended to fast, tied black and white threads to their legs and went on eating till they differentiated between the two. Allah then revealed the words, 'of dawn', and it became clear that meant night and day.

Sahih Muslim:6:2408:-
Samura b. Jundub reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: The Adhan of Bilal should not mislead you nor the whiteness (of the pillar) of dawn, for it is not the whiteness of the true dawn, but that of the false dawn which is vertical like a pillar and you can eat food till the streaks of whiteness spread like it(Horizontal).

Abu Dawood:2:534:-
Narated By Bilal : The Apostle of Allah (pbuh) said to Bilal: Do not call adhan until the dawn appears clearly to you in this way, stretching his hand in latitude.

Abu Dawood:7:2448:-
Narated By Hafsah, Ummul Mu'minin : The Apostle of Allah (pbuh) said: He who does not determine to fast before dawn does not fast

Abu Dawood:Book 002, Hadith Number 0393.

Narated By Abdullah Ibn Abbas : The Apostle of Allah (pbuh) said: Gabriel led me in prayer at the House (i.e. the Ka'bah). He prayed the noon prayer with me when the sun had passed the meridian to the extent of the thong of a sandal; he prayed the afternoon prayer with me when the shadow of everything was as long as itself; he prayed the sunset prayer with me when one who is fasting breaks the fast; he prayed the night prayer with me when the twilight had ended; and he prayed the dawn prayer(Fajr) with me when food and drink become forbidden to one who is keeping the fast.
(In the post above, we see when this time to end the eating starts.)

On the following day he prayed the noon prayer with me when his shadow was as long as himself; he prayed the afternoon prayer with me when his shadow was twice as long as himself; he prayed the sunset prayer at the time when one who is fasting breaks the fast; he prayed the night prayer with me when about the third of the night had passed; and he prayed the dawn prayer(Fajr) with me when there was a fair amount of light.
=
=
=
Abu Dawood:Book 002, Hadith Number 0532.
Narated By Abdullah ibn Umar : Bilal made a call to prayer before the break of dawn; the Prophet (pbuh), therefore, commanded him to return and make a call.

Abu Dawood:Book 002, Hadith Number 0534.
Narated By Bilal : The Apostle of Allah (pbuh) said to Bilal: Do not call adhan until the dawn appears clearly to you in this way, stretching his hand in latitude(Horizontally).

Abu Dawood:Book 002, Hadith Number 0514.
Narated By Ziyad ibn al-Harith as-Suda'i : When the adhan for the dawn prayer was initially introduced, the Prophet (pbuh) commanded me to call the adhan and I did so. Then I began to ask: Should I utter iqamah, Apostle of Allah? But he began to look at the direction of the east, (waiting) for the break of dawn, and said: No.

When the dawn broke, he came down and performed ablution and he then turned to me. In the meantime his Companions joined him. Then Bilal wanted to utter the iqamah, but the Prophet (pbuh) said to him: The man of Suda' has called the adhan, and he who calls the adhan utters the iqamah.

Volumn 001, Book 011, Hadith Number 592.
Narated By Hafsa : When the Muadh-dhin pronounced the Adhan for Fajr prayer and the dawn became evident the Prophet ordered a two Rakat light prayer (Sunna) before the Iqama of the compulsory (congregational) prayer.

=
=

Following hadees shows that Fajr can be offered uptil sunrise & thus having bright light at horizon before sunrise should not stop us from offering fajr.

Volumn 001, Book 010, Hadith Number 531.
Narated By Abu Huraira : Allah's Apostle said, "If anyone of you can get one Rak'a of the 'Asr prayer before sunset, he should complete his prayer. If any of you can get one Rak'a of the Fajr prayer before sunrise, he should complete his prayer."

Volumn 001, Book 010, Hadith Number 547.
-----------------------------------------
Narated By Jarir bin 'Abdullah : We were with the Prophet on a full moon night. He looked at the moon and said, "You will certainly see your Lord as you see this moon, and there will be no trouble in seeing Him. So if you can avoid missing (through sleep, business, etc.) a prayer before the rising of the sun (Fajr) and before its setting ('Asr) you must do so. He (the Prophet) then recited the following verse:

And celebrate the praises Of Your Lord before The rising of the sun And before (its) setting." (QURAN:50.39)

Abu Dawood:Book 002, Hadith Number 1252.
Narated By Bilal : Ziyadah al-Kindi reported on the authority of Bilal that he (Bilal) came to the Apostle of Allah (pbuh) to inform him about the dawn prayer. 'Aisha kept Bilal engaged in a matter which she asked him till the day was bright and it became fairly light. Bilal then stood up and called him to prayer and called him repeatedly. The Apostle of Allah (pbuh) did not yet come out. When he came out, he led the people in prayer and he (Bilal) informed him that 'Aisha had kept him engaged in a matter which she asked him till it became fairly light; hence he became late in reaching him (in time). He (Bilal) said: Apostle of Allah, the dawn became fairly bright. He said: If the dawn became brighter than it is now, I would pray them (the two rak'ahs of the sunnah prayer), offer them well and in a more beautiful manner.

Abu Dawood:Book 002, Hadith Number 1272.
Narated By Amr ibn Anbasah as-Sulami : I asked: Apostle of Allah, in which part of night the supplication is more likely to be accepted?

He replied: In the last part: Pray as much as you like, for the prayer is attended by the angels and it is recorded till you offer the dawn prayer; then stop praying when the sun is rising till it has reached the height of one or two lances,....

===========
===========
===========

Some other ahadees on this topic:-
=
Sahih Bukhari: Volumn 001, Book 010, Hadith Number 553.
Narated By Abu Huraira : Allah's Apostle said, "Whoever could get one Rak'a (of the Fajr prayer) before sunrise, he has got the (morning) prayer and whoever could get one Rak'a of the 'Asr prayer before sunset, he has got the ('Asr) prayer."

Sahih Bukhari: Volumn 001, Book 010, Hadith Number 529.
Narated By Qais : Jarir said, "We were with the Prophet and he looked at the moon-full-moon and said, 'Certainly you will see your Lord as you see this moon and you will have no trouble in seeing Him. So if you can avoid missing (through sleep or business, etc.) a prayer before the sun-rise (Fajr) and a prayer before sunset ('Asr), you must do so.' He then recited Allah's Statement: And celebrate the praises Of your Lord before The rising of the sun And before (its) setting." (50.39) Isma'il said, "Offer those prayers and do not miss them."

Sahih Bukhari: Volumn 001, Book 010, Hadith Number 516.
Narated By Abu Al-Minhal : Abu Barza said, "The Prophet used to offer the Fajr (prayer) when one could recognize the person sitting by him (after the prayer) and he used to recite between 60 to 100 Ayat (verses) of the Qur'an. He used to offer the Zuhr prayer as soon as the sun declined (at noon) and the 'Asr at a time when a man might go and return from the farthest place in Medina and find the sun still hot. (The sub-narrator forgot what was said about the Maghrib). He did not mind delaying the 'Isha prayer to one third of the night or the middle of the night."

Sahih Bukhari:Volumn 001, Book 010, Hadith Number 522.
Narated By Saiyar bin Salama : I along with my father went to Abu- Barza Al-Aslarrni and my father asked him, "How Allah's Apostle used to offer the five compulsory congregational prayers?" Abu- Barza said, "The Prophet used to pray the Zuhr prayer which you (people) call the first one at mid-day when the sun had just declined The 'Asr prayer at a time when after the prayer, a man could go to the house at the farthest place in Medina (and arrive) while the sun was still hot. (I forgot about the Maghrib prayer). The Prophet Loved to delay the 'Isha which you call Al- Atama and he disliked sleeping before it and speaking after it. After the Fajr prayer he used to leave when a man could recognize the one sitting beside him and he used to recite between 60 to 100 Ayat (in the Fajr prayer).

Sahih Bukhari:Volumn 001, Book 010, Hadith Number 536.
Narated By Salama : We used to pray the Maghrib prayer with the Prophet when the sun disappeared from the horizon.

Sahih Bukhari:Volumn 001, Book 010, Hadith Number 557.
Narated By Hisham's father : Ibn 'Umar said, "Allah's Apostle said, 'Do not pray at the time of sunrise and at the time of sunset.' " Ibn 'Umar said, "Allah's Apostle said, 'If the edge of the sun appears (above the horizon) delay the prayer till it becomes high, and if the edge of the sun disappears, delay the prayer till it sets (disappears completely).' "

Sahih Bukhari:Volumn 001, Book 012, Hadith Number 738.
Narated By Saiyar bin Salama : My father and I went to Abu Barza-al-Aslami to ask him about the stated times for the prayers. He replied, "The Prophet used to offer the Zuhr prayer when the sun just declined from its highest position at noon; the 'Asr at a time when if a man went to the farthest place in Medina (after praying) he would find the sun still hot (bright). (The sub narrator said: I have forgotten what Abu Barza said about the Maghrib prayer). The Prophet never found any harm in delaying the 'Isha prayer to the first third of the night and he never liked to sleep before it and to talk after it. He used to offer the morning prayer at a time when after finishing it one could recognize the person sitting beside him and used to recite between 60 to 100 verses in one or both the Rakat."

Sahih Bukhari:Volumn 002, Book 021, Hadith Number 235.
Narated By Qatada : Anas bin Malik said, "The Prophet (p.b.u.h) and Zaid bin Thabit took their Suhur together. When they finished it, the Prophet stood for the (Fajr) prayer and offered it." We asked Anas, "What was the interval between their finishing the Suhur and the starting of the morning prayer?" Anas replied, "It was equal to the time taken by a person in reciting fifty verses of the Qur'an."

========================================================

Sahih Muslim: Book 006, Hadith Number 2399.
------------------------------
Chapter : The timing of fast begins with the dawn.

'Abdullah b. Mas'ud (Allah be pleased with him) reported that the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) had said: Bilal would pronounce Adhan (at the fag end of the night in order to inform the people about the time of the Sahri). So you eat and drink till you hear the Adhan of Ibn Umm Maktum (which was pronounced at the conclusion of the Sahri and the commencement of the fast).

Sahih Muslim: Book 006, Hadith Number 2400.
------------------------------
Chapter : The timing of fast begins with the dawn.

Abdullah b. 'Umar (Allah be pleased with both of them) reported: I heard the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) as saying: Bilal announces Adhan during the night, so you eat and drink, till you hear the Adhan of Ibn Umm Maktum.

Back
Top Bottom