What's new

Rajendra Battery Level Radar fails to Detect pilot-less target aircraft

Major Shaitan Singh

Reaction score
Country
India
Rajendra+BLR-3+on+T-72M+vehicle+with+9+Modular+Antenna+Arrays.jpg

In an embarrassment to the DRDO, the most sophisticated surface-to-air missile, Akash, failed to take off on Wednesday during a user-specific trial from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) off the Odisha coast. The tests are being conducted by the armed forces.

The missile was lined up for trial around 11.10 am from a road launcher at the launching complex-III of the ITR. Like the earlier trials last week, a pilot-less target aircraft (PTA) was flown from the launching complex-II which was to be targeted by the missile.

A source at the test facility said the radar in the Akash system usually tracks the target and provides required command to the launcher to fire the missile. “But during this trial, the radar could not locate the PTA and failed to give command to the launcher,” the source said.

“The scientists are looking at the faults in the system and hope to rectify it. They are preparing for the next trial on Thursday,” the source said and termed it as a minor snag in the system.

lol this is second failure of Akash system in a row.:P

o good the world has progressed in every field but i think too much in technology field
i like this rajendra battery level
i dont know wyh the radar fails in detecting the aircraft i think there is a problem with the radar

please post the link of the thread where its been discussed earlier-- i will merge 'em

Well, I really liked this news...we have found some faults in the specific user trials and it will definitely help to improve the system in a war scenario..let them find the fault and fix it...and it's published in the public domain too unlike some others!!!:cheesy:

Great achievement ....in process to induct Akash ....We have discovered stealth target drones..strap them with bombs and keep ready for attacking enemy. :lol::enjoy:

This is the same news sir.
He is right. This is not the same news. This was the result of the scheduled Akash test on wednesday.

So totally---
# First test successful. (May 24)

# Second test failure. (May 26)

# Third was of 2 missiles fired back to back, of which 1 was a failure and second one successful. (May 28)

# Fourth test supposed to fire a missile but failed, due to Rajendra Radar taking a dump in the middle of the trial. The article in the Opening post of this Thread. (May 29)

# Fifth Test (June 1) link is Success for 2 Missiles fired.

So totally 5 tests, with 7 missiles. Of which 4 was successful and 3 wasn't. That's a 57% success rate overall in this series of tests. But the funny thing is these tests are not development tests but rather user trial tests, after the Missile has been inducted.

@fox
well i dont know how many of you have actually seen the rajendra over here,but since i am a trainee at BEL,i know about the system very well,and i have good enough experience with PSM,various ICs used in our system
many people here write things outta context and hardly bearing anything to the topic,
the rajendra PESA is one of the sophisticated PESA radars that BEL has manufactured till date(though new projects which are undergoing here at BEL are AESA)
rajendra has about 4215 PSM modules and it has superior beam characteristics for higher gain and directivity,
and secondly coming to the question to the recent tests of AKASH SAM,a few days ago, out of 6 launches only one can be classified as a partial failure,that too because the power unit went off ,this does NOT mean any fault in the rajendra PESA system as such

phase shifters used in rajendra PESA are manufactured at a private company here in ghaziabad itself!!
a single phase shifter is nothing but a hollow cylindrical(waveguide-type),"dual mode ferrite phase shifters" with coils wound over it and a "driving circuitry" which drives the current in the coil,the driving circuit provides a sinusoidal current in the coil which changes the radiation pattern of the waves passing through the hollow waveguide..
the length of a typical phase shifter used in rajendra is about 40-50mm and a diameter of about 10-20mm

o good the world has progressed in every field but i think too much in technology field
i like this rajendra battery level
i dont know wyh the radar fails in detecting the aircraft i think there is a problem with the radar

i have worked on the rajendra PESA,although for a brief time,it is such a complex system that it "cant" FAIL to detect a target vehicle,it is simply rubbish

So the system was inducted ? Or it was in development ?

Back
Top Bottom