What's new

Raja, Kalmadi made Parliament panel members

Paan Singh

BANNED
Reaction score
New Delhi: Former Union minister A Raja, the main accused in the 2G spectrum scam, and Suresh Kalmadi, an accused in the Commonwealth Games scam, have been made members of two separate Parliamentary Standing Committees.
Raja, who represents the DMK in the Lok Sabha, has been nominated to the Standing Committee on Energy. Kalmadi, Congress member of the Lok Sabha, has been nominated to the Standing Committee on External Affairs.
The Parliamentary Standing Committees examine the bills and give suggestions to the proposed legislations related to the ministries concerned.

Raja, who was arrested in connection with the 2G scam on February 2 last year, is on bail since May 15 this year. Kalmadi also spent about nine months in jail before being released on bail on January 19 this year.
DMK MP Kanimozhi, who was also accused in some cases related to the 2G spectrum allocation, has been nominated to the Standing Committee on Home Affairs.
In the reconstitution of various Committees, Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi has been made a member of the Standing Committee on Finance headed by BJP leader Yashwant Sinha. Earlier, he was a member of the Committee on HRD.
The reconstitution of the Committees also saw DMK's Tiruchi Siva being made the Chairman of the Standing Committee on Industry, while BSP's Brajesh Pathak has been made the Chairman on the Standing Committee on Health and Family Welfare.
BSP leader Dara Singh Chauhan, who chaired the Standing Committee on Social Justice and Empowerment, has been shifted to the Committee on Labour. Congress member Hemananda Biswal will be the new Chairman of the Committee on Social Justice and Empowerment.
Independent MP Madhu Koda, who is in Ranhci jail in connection with money laundering cases, has not been made member of any committee.
Meanwhile, the Congress said there is nothing wrong in making Raja and Kalmadi
members of Parliamentary Standing Committees. "It is the right of a member of Parliament to be on a Committee, whatever may be charges or allegations. The members are not nominated by their party," party spokesman PC Chacko told reporters. He heads the Privileges Committee of the Lok Sabha.

Raja, Kalmadi made Parliament panel members, Cong sees no wrong - Politics News - IBNLive

Congress tradition of rewarding the most corrupt :angry: No surprises here

Technically speaking though. They are innocent until proven guilty. I hate the congress, but this is what the law of the land says and i can respect that. In my opinion, a judge should be consulted before such appointment, in order to find out if the evidence is overwhelming enough for a certain conviction or not.

Technically speaking though. They are innocent until proven guilty. I hate the congress, but this is what the law of the land says and i can respect that. In my opinion, a judge should be consulted before such appointment, in order to find out if the evidence is overwhelming enough for a certain conviction or not.

Yes, i agree that the law of the land say that u r "innocent until proven guilty" but there should be some ethics followed as far as public figures are concerned, people look up to big parties & powerful people for inspiration. Here we are talking about a scam which was worth Rs. 1.76 lakh crore & another which was more than Rs. 30,000 crore. Thus, if the main accused in such a big scams are given rewards like these than just imagine what will a common man think ? I think he will try to steal or make system corrupt since he knows that he will finally get a reward one day. Persons thrown behind prison for months are made members of Standing committees of Parliament on energy & external affairs?? only god knows what will the committee decides.

+ What about the promise of Congress that it will fight corruption with full force & will punish the guilty??

Appointment to such panels is bases on rotation method. Every MP will be member for 3/4 times in his tenure. So it's something unavoidable. But the chair persons of these committees are selected. I don't think any party will like to make there theives Chiar person of any committe let alone the standing committe

Appointment to such panels is bases on rotation method. Every MP will be member for 3/4 times in his tenure. So it's something unavoidable. But the chair persons of these committees are selected. I don't think any party will like to make there theives Chiar person of any committe let alone the standing committe

Rotation method?? din't knew about that. But there should be a profile of a person to be the member of a standing committee, i mean there should be knowledge about say external affairs for a person to be made a member of it's standing committee & just following a rotating chair game is not a good option. What a person will contribute in the standing committee on external affairs, if he even don't know what are the external challenges we face or say what NAM stands for, etc.

Rotation method?? din't knew about that. But there should be a profile of a person to be the member of a standing committee, i mean there should be knowledge about say external affairs for a person to be made a member of it's standing committee & just following a rotating chair game is not a good option. What a person will contribute in the standing committee on external affairs, if he even don't know what are the external challenges we face or say what NAM stands for, etc.

There are 9/10 committees working in LS( may be more ) and most of the members of LS are members of such committe. These committes are formed to reduce the work(?) so LS can save time on the things.
Only important committe is "PUBLIC ACCOUNTS headed by leader/member of opposing party
Rest of committes are not that important. These committes CAN'T pass anything without LS approval. And as far as I know most of the political leaders are dum@ss they do whatever the Sec. tell them to do :D policies are formed by core cabinate rest of them are just following lead. Most of MPs will not be able to tell what the committe's purpose

Raja is small fish of 2G scam anyways, a convenient low caste scapegoat. Major beneficiaries are all enjoying power and money and social status.
Kalmadi looks like a fulltime dalal.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom