Rafale Slipstream: India not to Budge on Lowering Jets’ Price

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
SOURCE: EXPRESS NEWS SERVICE

Rafale%20Slipstr.JPG

Under pressure to conclude the much-hyped Rafale warplanes deal with France, Ministry of Defence (MoD) officials have fired a warning shot to the French negotiators to reduce the price by 30 per cent if they want to ink the deal in this financial year.

An MoD official said India wants to pay `65-68,000 crore (8 billion euros) for 36 Rafale fighter jets fitted high-end weapons and radars systems, while Dassault-which manufactures the aircraft-has quoted `90,000 crore (12 billion euros).

Though the French have come down marginally on their previous stand, we have categorically told them to come down to nearly 30 per cent if they want to clinch the deal in the current financial year,” an MoD official told Express. IAF is expected to get the aircraft three years after signing the contract.

In the absence of a mutually agreed price, the deal could not be inked during French President Francois Hollande visit to New Delhi as chief guest for the during Republic Day. In a joint statement on January 25, Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Hollande had hoped to sort out the financial aspects in “a couple of days”. Dassault Aviation had also said it expected a complete agreement on the planes in four weeks.

Dassault negotiators are believed to have committed setting up a production line in India, but MoD officials are sticking to serious cost bargaining. Moreover, France has also apparently agreed to 30 per cent offsets in the Rafale deal, which means French companies such as Dassault will have to plough 30 per cent of the contract value back into India as offsets. From the beginning, MoD was eyeing at least 20 per cent less per aircraft compared to what was offered in the 126 Medium Multi-Role Combat Aircraft deal during UPA-II.

The 36 nuclear-capable Rafale jets will come to India in fly-away condition with weapon systems such as active electronically scanned phased array radar, high-end beyond visual range missiles and defensive weapon systems. During his France visit, the Prime Minister had announced the decision to buy 36 Rafale jets, citing operational necessity of IAF, which is down to 34 fighter squadrons against authorised strength of 42

who wants to bet France is the one who just says F-it, and pulls the Rafale out of India.

I mean India had leverage when Rafale had no export orders, and a prospect of a mega 126 fighter deal with India was just too good to be true.

but now Egypt and Qatar have ordered the Rafale!! between the two of them 48 birds!!

you can bet more Arab nations are going to order the Rafale.

India blew it.

who wants to bet France is the one who just says F-it, and pulls the Rafale out of India.

I mean India had leverage when Rafale had no export orders, and a prospect of a mega 126 fighter deal with India was just too good to be true.

but now Egypt and Qatar have ordered the Rafale!! between the two of them 48 birds!!

you can bet more Arab nations are going to order the Rafale.

India blew it.

LOL.... you think Dassault can afford to blow away the biggest customer on the planet ? :cheesy:

Any deal is better than No deal.

Pride has no place here. So I am going to bet France will not pull out. But there is a chance that India will pull out.

LOL.... you think Dassault can afford to blow away the biggest customer on the planet ? :cheesy:

Any deal is better than No deal.

Pride has no place here. So I am going to bet France will not pull out. But there is a chance that India will pull out.
I think they can. It went from 126 Rafales now to 36 Rafales, and even more delays and uncertainty.

like I said Dassault found customers in the Middle East who are willing to sign the contract ASAP, and not drag the process out for years..

you can only waste someones time for so long.

Price was the only issue left to negotiate now in the Rafale fighter jet deal with France, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar said on Thursday.

The minister, in an interview to Karan Thapar on India Today TV said: "Price is the problem which has to be resolved. We have resolved all other issues.

"Price is the only issue left now," he said, adding that an agreement on 50 percent offsets has been reached.

Rafale fighter jet deal stuck because price is a problem, says Manohar Parrikar

So our DM statement of 50 percent offset is wrong and 30 percent offset and 30% discount is correct now?

At least check what DM said before articles are published with a malafide interest..

Moreover there is a humongous sticky.. Why not restrict Rafale news to that..

Opening threads is not the only thing in PDF.. Pls add some comments too to understand your opinions.. Or else its just a news copy paste for everybody..

The article is outdated. There is a mutual understanding between MoD and Dassault when it comes to price. India is lowering specifications and other aspects of the deal in order to reach an acceptable position on the price. And Dassault is doing its part to give us the cheapest deal they possibly can. Both are following the policy of give and take.

The article is making it sound like a customer and a shopkeeper are haggling over vegetables.

So indians taunts Pakistan on lack of funds on F-16 threads, but the hard cash they say they have is no where to find when Rafael is in consideration and asking for discount on discount.
its been a deacade they have jumping about the mother of all deals and look everything is still on the negotiation table.
On the hand Pakistan will be getting its delievery of F16, AH-1Z vipers and MI-35 in 2017
Bro,its a big deal,even with 50-60% discount Pakistan cannt afford it.we are talking about around 10 billion for 36 birds that more than your entire defence budget.

3 Rafales = AK-47s for entire police force
4 Rafales = 1 nuclear powered submarine
6 Rafales = 400 light helicopters K-226T or Ecureil
8 Rafales = 4 S-400 systems
10 Rafales = 1 aircraft carrier ...
36 Rafales = 18 Scorpene

I am telling this since from many months that abandon this Rafale deal, we are getting robbed.

We have NO REASON WITH US TO ACQUIRE IT. Bying rafale @270 million/per piece will be the biggest blunder in the Indian History.

You claim you have the cash then go for it, why would French damage their future sales by lowering the price so much for you,just for 36 birds.
Besides Qatar the rest of GCC combine can buy more than 100 of these and if French gave you discount then everyone is gona force them for every defence related product they sell.

Who told you about discounts.
Frenchs have inflated their prices due to offset clauses, all india is telling them to come down the ladder at the justified position.

I think they can. It went from 126 Rafales now to 36 Rafales, and even more delays and uncertainty.

like I said Dassault found customers in the Middle East who are willing to sign the contract ASAP, and not drag the process out for years..

you can only waste someones time for so long.

Latest news seems to suggest the UAE deal is linked to India deal. If that is true then the Middle East is by no means a certain market for Dassault.

EF with is wider consortium will have a better reach and penetration. Not to mention US pressure.

Latest news seems to suggest the UAE deal is linked to India deal. If that is true then the Middle East is by no means a certain market for Dassault.

EF with is wider consortium will have a better reach and penetration. Not to mention US pressure.
not sure why the two would be linked :undecided:

I dont like the idea of selecting 1 and then negotiating with that final contender.

Ideally we should be negotiating simultaneously with all the entrants (F-16,F-18. EF.Mig-35,Gripen) and then choose the best offer. That would also provoke the entrants to raise their offers constantly.

Now since its just frenchs, they are their like sitting ducks and stubborn. Once they know their are other contestants also who can make a re-entry they will be talking like parrots.

I dont like the idea of selecting 1 and then negotiating with that final contender.

Ideally we should be negotiating simultaneously with all the entrants (F-16,F-18. EF.Mig-35,Gripen) and then choose the best offer. That would also provoke the entrants to raise their offers constantly.

Now since its just frenchs, they are their like sitting ducks and stubborn. Once they know their are other contestants also who can make a re-entry they will be talking like parrots.
L1 baby l1,the main hurdles faced by all psus

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom