What's new

Rafael Confirms the earlier news: India Calls Off Deal For Israeli Spike Anti-tank Guided Missiles

KapitaanAli

Reaction score
Country
India
India Calls Off Deal For Israeli Spike Anti-tank Guided Missiles
The deal was worth about $500 million and the announcement of its termination came a couple of weeks before Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is due to visit India.
Updated on: January 3, 2018, 8:57 PM IST
Reuters

640x6401.jpg

Jerusalem: India has called off an order to buy Spike anti-tank guided missiles from Israel's state-owned defence contractor Rafael, the company said on Wednesday.

The deal was worth about $500 million and the announcement of its termination came a couple of weeks before Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is due to visit India.

An Indian Defence Ministry spokesman declined comment on the cancellation. Local media reported that India’s Defence Research and Development Organisation was developing a domestic anti-tank missile the government was keen to support.

"Rafael regrets the decision and remains committed to cooperating with the Indian Ministry of Defence and to its strategy of continuing to work in India, an important market, as it has for more than two decades, to provide India with the most advanced and innovative systems," the firm said in a statement.

However, India's Defence Ministry said separately it had cleared a plan to buy 131 Barak surface-to-air missiles built by Rafael. The 4.6-billion-rupee ($72 million) order follows up an earlier purchase of Barak missiles, meant to protect navy vessels against sea-skimming missiles and aerial threats.

The two countries have grown closer since Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi took office in 2014, widening commercial cooperation beyond their longstanding defence ties.

Modi became the first sitting Indian prime minister to visit Israel last summer, and Netanyahu will fly to India on Jan. 14.

Rafael, whose CEO will join Netanyahu on his trip, said the cancellation was made prior to the signing of the final supply contract and despite its compliance with all of India's wishes.

this actually is a good news from our perspective. Unless someone thinks that MOD is run by some noob's...this certainly means indigenous missiles are potent...and technology well advanced enough, which gives the confidence...what say?

In all honesty, why would a country as big and advanced as India look to a country as small as Israel for weapons? Can't they make their own?
I believe that the Indians should get a move on with their defence industry, and stop buying downgraded foreign crap. There is a reason why the US lobbies so hard for the F16V, and it is so that they don't have yet another competitor in the military planes sector.

In all honesty, why would a country as big and advanced as India look to a country as small as Israel for weapons? Can't they make their own?
I believe that the Indians should get a move on with their defence industry, and stop buying downgraded foreign crap. There is a reason why the US lobbies so hard for the F16V, and it is so that they don't have yet another competitor in the military planes sector.
Israel leads in certain areas like radars and seekers over not just India, but almost everyone.
You must know that we are quite slow since private players are just entering the field.
It'll take time for India to catch up, but we certainly will. The cancellation of Spike is the perfect example. It's thanks to our own advancement in ATGM tech.
We've just tested an indigenous seeker as well.

But we'll keep buying drones from and joint develop radars/seekers with Israel.

Israel leads in certain areas like radars and seekers over not just India, but almost everyone.
You must know that we are quite slow since private players are just entering the field.
It'll take time for India to catch up, but we certainly will. The cancellation of Spike is the perfect example. It's thanks to our own advancement in ATGM tech.
We've just tested an indigenous seeker as well.

But we'll keep buying drones from and joint develop radars/seekers with Israel.
I don't really believe that Israel leads in Radars, as Thales and Saab are the current leaders, after Lockheed Martin, I believe.
I also believe that even if the tech is sub-par, India should still go indigenous so as to create a technological base for its next generation equipment. It would be a lot wiser than to just buy from off the shelf as with foreign nations, especially as it would save costs down the road as systems get more expensive. Indian companies could then make their own private ventures in the areas of expertise.

with only $500mil, india expected israel to give up its crown jewel? I think delusion isn't a good policy.

I don't really believe that Israel leads in Radars, as Thales and Saab are the current leaders, after Lockheed Martin, I believe.
I also believe that even if the tech is sub-par, India should still go indigenous so as to create a technological base for its next generation equipment. It would be a lot wiser than to just buy from off the shelf as with foreign nations, especially as it would save costs down the road as systems get more expensive. Indian companies could then make their own private ventures in the areas of expertise.

Good advise, but India is not capable.

with only $500mil, india expected israel to give up its crown jewel? I think delusion isn't a good policy.
Neither is ignoring facts:
Rafael, whose CEO will join Netanyahu on his trip, said the cancellation was made prior to the signing of the final supply contract and despite its compliance with all of India's wishes

I'm pretty sure that India is capable. With a massive economy and a huge number of brains that can be employed cheaply, why not? If Turkey can do it, why not India?

Any Indian brain would leave India. As a result, India is left with PDF trolls.

I'm pretty sure that India is capable. With a massive economy and a huge number of brains that can be employed cheaply, why not? If Turkey can do it, why not India?
Well, first of all, Turkey has had partnerships with European companies beyond India's dreams and has (rightfully) focused on private companies.

Secondly, our situation isn't THAT bad. In the top 100 defence companies, India has two ranked at 35 and 59 (govt) whereas Turkey has three ranked at 57, 61 and 98 (private).

But this is not counting strategic weapons/assets and missile technology which don't come under these Indian companies since they're not exactly for profit. Turkey is nowhere close to India in that regard.

But I respect their private industry and hope that our infant private industry will keep the same and better standards.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom