What's new

Race for $39 bn Australian submarine contract hots up

How much to buy a home in Australia and how much to buy a home in India??

The land cost would already hit 3 to 4 billions for the dock, the building and equipment cost is a lot different between Australia and India, you cannot use your own deal to compare to the deals in Australia. Cause in Australia, it cost that much to build and upgrade a Shipyard.

10 Billions is the benchmark, it's cost roughly the same for the Air Warfare destroyer program on ASC Osborne.

http://www.primespaceprojects.com.a...ome-of-defence-shipbuilding-for-a-generation/

Land doesn't cost 3 to 4 billion anywhere, especially for a shipyard. The most expensive land around the world is located in city centers. Shipyards are generally built outside the cities.

Anyway, I came across this article that makes more sense.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-...ustralia-more-expensive-than-overseas/6395972

Although it doesn't go into more detail, at least there is some sort of extra cost on basic construction itself.

Land doesn't cost 3 to 4 billion anywhere, especially for a shipyard. The most expensive land around the world is located in city centers. Shipyards are generally built outside the cities.

Anyway, I came across this article that makes more sense.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-...ustralia-more-expensive-than-overseas/6395972

Although it doesn't go into more detail, at least there is some sort of extra cost on basic construction itself.

land did goes up that range in Australia and it does not need to be in the city

Stockland purchase 1121 hectares of land in the City of Lockerbie for 4 billions dollars.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/arc...st-land-deal-yet/story-e6frg9gx-1225966841234

And don't forget, you still need to factor in the cost of training, equipment, maintenance, housing and also the ship yard is said to be service not just the new build Submarine, but also would be a ship building hub for civilian and military shipping.

land did goes up that range in Australia and it does not need to be in the city

Stockland purchase 1121 hectares of land in the City of Lockerbie for 4 billions dollars.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/arc...st-land-deal-yet/story-e6frg9gx-1225966841234

Shipyards don't require that much land. Even some of the largest shipyards around are 1/3rd that size. And the biggest shipyards are generally built far from cities.

In your example, Stockland seems to have purchased premium land, so that does not count. Look up what would be the land price about 50 miles away from Melbourne, beyond reach of most civilization, that's where shipyards are built.

And don't forget, you still need to factor in the cost of training, equipment, maintenance, housing and also the ship yard is said to be service not just the new build Submarine, but also would be a ship building hub for civilian and military shipping.

I still have the feeling you are overpaying the price of infrastructure, you are building merely 12 subs. Shipyards with that level of investment aim to build dozens of ships over decades.

How much to buy a home in Australia and how much to buy a home in India??

The land cost would already hit 3 to 4 billions for the dock, the building and equipment cost is a lot different between Australia and India, you cannot use your own deal to compare to the deals in Australia. Cause in Australia, it cost that much to build and upgrade a Shipyard.

10 Billions is the benchmark, it's cost roughly the same for the Air Warfare destroyer program on ASC Osborne.

http://www.primespaceprojects.com.a...ome-of-defence-shipbuilding-for-a-generation/
In India cost of land is more than most of other countries.

It's $39B in USD. Senseless.

And before somebody says anything, weapons, spares and maintenance on subs are not expensive.

It may be for the Barracuda, but that price is over the top, especially without nuclear propulsion. Only a reactor would cost that much.

In India cost of land is more than most of other countries.

lol......so you are saying you need about $400000 USD to buy an apartment anywhere in India and about $900000 USD to buy a house in India??

lol......so you are saying you need about $400000 USD to buy an apartment anywhere in India and about $900000 USD to buy a house in India??
Yes, many be somewhat less but too much less...
Reason people are not buying...
The Lutyens Bungalow Zone has the most expensive real estate in India, possibly the world. The market value of 254.5 acres of Land in private hands in the LBZ has increased eightfold in the last ten years, from around Rs 6,100 crores to Rs 49,000 crores in 2012. In 2013, Rajan Mittal, Bharti Enterprises Vice-Chairman bought a bungalow in the zone for Rs 156 crore. In June 2014, Rajiv Rattan, India bulls co-founder, was reported, to have bought a 2,920 sq yard plot for Rs 220 crore.

Yes, many be somewhat less but too much less...
Reason people are not buying...
The Lutyens Bungalow Zone has the most expensive real estate in India, possibly the world. The market value of 254.5 acres of Land in private hands in the LBZ has increased eightfold in the last ten years, from around Rs 6,100 crores to Rs 49,000 crores in 2012. In 2013, Rajan Mittal, Bharti Enterprises Vice-Chairman bought a bungalow in the zone for Rs 156 crore. In June 2014, Rajiv Rattan, India bulls co-founder, was reported, to have bought a 2,920 sq yard plot for Rs 220 crore.

But then you are not building an Naval Base in Lutyens Bungalow Zone. I am not talking about Expensive suburb, I am talking about average suburb.

If you want to buy in exclusive suburb, you will need about 1 mil AUD for an apartment and about 8 - 10 millions AUD for a house for places like The Rocks or Glebe. I just bought a House in Blacktown a year ago (Which is about 40 km from City CBD) and it cost me 780,000 AUD for a 3 bedroom house with appox. 500 sq meter.

Last edited:
But then you are not building an Naval Base in Lutyens Bungalow Zone. I am not talking about Expensive suburb, I am talking about average suburb.

If you want to buy in exclusive suburb, you will need about 1 mil AUD for an apartment and about 8 - 10 millions AUD for a house for places like The Rocks or Glebe. I just bought a House in Blacktown a year ago (Which is about 40 km from City CBD) and it cost me 780,000 AUD for a 3 bedroom house with appox. 500 sq meter.

He as no idea about the cost of land and living expenses here in Australia. 25 meters long double brick wall in Melbourne cost me 23 grand. I have lived in San Fran and Toronto for more than year and travel to US for work couple of times a year, and found both Melbourne and Sydney expensive than those cities. I'm astounded by the cost of your house in Blacktown, if house cost 800 grand in Blacktown, God save Autralia.

Actually, I don't have good idea of real estate prices in India but I will say yes land prices in every part of India is much higher than you think may be much less than what are in Oz or China.

He as no idea about the cost of land and living expenses here in Australia. 25 meters long double brick wall in Melbourne cost me 23 grand. I have lived in San Fran and Toronto for more than year and travel to US for work couple of times a year, and found both Melbourne and Sydney expensive than those cities. I'm astounded by the cost of your house in Blacktown, if house cost 800 grand in Blacktown, God save Autralia.

Yes, it is quite crazy these couple of year, and if you compare the Oz land price and those in the US and the UK, apart from the uber high value district (Like NYC, Upper East Side, OC or Beverly Hills), the land in Australia is generally a lot more expensive

My brother bought a block of 6 condos for 700,000 USD in Downtown Chicago, and my 3 bedder Atlanta House in Georgia cost not more than 350,000 USD. Yet, My house in Blacktown, which is mile from anything, cost a bit north of 750,000 AUD lol

But house price is a bit cheaper now, it's about 650-750,000 a house in Blacktown

http://www.domain.com.au/14-cooper-street-blacktown-nsw-2148-2012696126

Actually, I don't have good idea of real estate prices in India but I will say yes land prices in every part of India is much higher than you think may be much less than what are in Oz or China.

I very much doubted it.

You have 1.1 billions people in India, and yet you have a GDP per capita 50 times less than we Aussie.

If India in general have a similar land price in Australia, then most of the Indian would not have been able to afford any accommodation and would be homeless.

Yes, it is quite crazy these couple of year, and if you compare the Oz land price and those in the US and the UK, apart from the uber high value district (Like NYC, Upper East Side, OC or Beverly Hills), the land in Australia is generally a lot more expensive

My brother bought a block of 6 condos for 700,000 USD in Downtown Chicago, and my 3 bedder Atlanta House in Georgia cost not more than 350,000 USD. Yet, My house in Blacktown, which is mile from anything, cost a bit north of 750,000 AUD lol

But house price is a bit cheaper now, it's about 650-750,000 a house in Blacktown

Condos in Chicago, houses in Atlanta and another one in Blacktown - Good lord mate you're not some sort of a budding version of Donald Trump are you ? :unsure:

Somehow I find it hard to imagine you with a comb over ! :tongue:

Condos in Chicago, houses in Atlanta and another one in Blacktown - Good lord mate you're not some sort of a budding version of Donald Trump are you ? :unsure:

Somehow I find it hard to imagine you with a comb over ! :tongue:

My brother brought the condos in Chicago.....I have nothing to do with them :)

I inherited my house from my parent in Atlanta. So I don't pay anything on that either :)

I only ever bought a house in Sydney, I sold my old home in Granville I own for 3 years and bought the one in Blacktown just last year lol.

My brother brought the condos in Chicago.....I have nothing to do with them :)

I inherited my house from my parent in Atlanta. So I don't pay anything on that either :)

I only ever bought a house in Sydney, I sold my old home in Granville I own for 3 years and bought the one in Blacktown just last year lol.

But you didn't deny the comb over ? :o:

Mate go for a buzz cut....don't comb it over ! :tsk:

Back
Top Bottom