What's new

Pursuing Bhopal gas leak case can chill Indo-US biz relations

justanobserver

Reaction score
Pursuing Bhopal gas leak case can chill Indo-US biz relations: US official

US deputy NSA asks India to go slow on Dow chemicals
NEW DELHI: With India pursuing efforts to make Dow Chemicals pay higher compensation in the Bhopal gas disaster, a senior US official reportedly asked the government not to persist with it so as to avoid any "chilling" in the investment relationship between the two countries.

"We are hearing a lot of noise about the Dow Chemical issues. I am not familiar with all the details but I think we want to avoid development which put a chilling effect on our investment relationship", US Deputy National Security Advisor Froman Michael wrote to Ahluwalia in a recent e-mail, Times Now reported today.

His remarks came in response to Ahluwalia's e-mail in which he sought US help in ensuring that India gets accommodation by continuing to get concessional aid from the World Bank's soft-lending arm IDA.

When asked about this e-mail exchange, Ahluwalia did not said he was not involved in any discussions with the US on issues that are sub judice — a reference to the Bhopal case.

"I don't interpret from Froman's email that there is any link between two (Dow Chemicals and World Bank)." Asked about the US "pressure" to go slow on Dow Chemicals, Ahluwalia told the channel, "I don't regard these e-mails as pressure at all."

Froman reportedly assured Ahluwalia that US would take care of India's request. "We are aware of this issue and we will look into it. While I have got you, we are hearing a lot of noise about the Dow Chemical issues. I trust that you are monitoring it (Dow Chemical issue) carefully," Froman replied to Ahluwalia according to the TV Channel report.

Meanwhile, official sources said the government's stand is clear as contained in Home Minister P Chidambaram's statement in Parliament last week during a debate on the Bhopal disaster.

On the liability of Dow, Chidambaram had said in Rajya Sabha that there are three players — Union Carbide, Dow and Eveready.

Once the Madhya Pradesh High Court fixes liability, "we will certainly hold that company or those companies liable for remediation and whatever we had done by way of remediation before the liabilities are crystallised we will ask for restitution. We are not allowing anyone to go scot-free".

Bloody double standards, f****rs made BP pay up billions of dollars for f*****ng dead dolphins !! DOLPHINS !!
THIS ARTICLE MADE MY BLOOD BOIL

Shameful 16000 people died because of this and God knows how many injured permanently. GoI needs to stand up for its people.

Pursuing Bhopal gas leak case can chill Indo-US biz relations: US official

US deputy NSA asks India to go slow on Dow chemicals
NEW DELHI: With India pursuing efforts to make Dow Chemicals pay higher compensation in the Bhopal gas disaster, a senior US official reportedly asked the government not to persist with it so as to avoid any "chilling" in the investment relationship between the two countries.

"We are hearing a lot of noise about the Dow Chemical issues. I am not familiar with all the details but I think we want to avoid development which put a chilling effect on our investment relationship", US Deputy National Security Advisor Froman Michael wrote to Ahluwalia in a recent e-mail, Times Now reported today.

His remarks came in response to Ahluwalia's e-mail in which he sought US help in ensuring that India gets accommodation by continuing to get concessional aid from the World Bank's soft-lending arm IDA.

When asked about this e-mail exchange, Ahluwalia did not said he was not involved in any discussions with the US on issues that are sub judice — a reference to the Bhopal case.

"I don't interpret from Froman's email that there is any link between two (Dow Chemicals and World Bank)." Asked about the US "pressure" to go slow on Dow Chemicals, Ahluwalia told the channel, "I don't regard these e-mails as pressure at all."

Froman reportedly assured Ahluwalia that US would take care of India's request. "We are aware of this issue and we will look into it. While I have got you, we are hearing a lot of noise about the Dow Chemical issues. I trust that you are monitoring it (Dow Chemical issue) carefully," Froman replied to Ahluwalia according to the TV Channel report.

Meanwhile, official sources said the government's stand is clear as contained in Home Minister P Chidambaram's statement in Parliament last week during a debate on the Bhopal disaster.

On the liability of Dow, Chidambaram had said in Rajya Sabha that there are three players — Union Carbide, Dow and Eveready.

Once the Madhya Pradesh High Court fixes liability, "we will certainly hold that company or those companies liable for remediation and whatever we had done by way of remediation before the liabilities are crystallised we will ask for restitution. We are not allowing anyone to go scot-free".

Bloody double standards, f****rs made BP pay up billions of dollars for f*****ng dead dolphins !! DOLPHINS !!
THIS ARTICLE MADE MY BLOOD BOIL
This attitude is not good. Wonder since when did man become cheaper than animals. What's the meaning of chill in relations? Is that supposed to be a threat?

THIS

"We are hearing a lot of noise about the Dow Chemical issues. I am not familiar with all the details but I think we want to avoid development which put a chilling effect on our investment relationship"

15,000 people died, many were scarred for life but Obama is busy making BP pay up 30billion$ for something which didn't even claim A SINGLE HUMAN LIFE :angry::angry::angry:

no need ur business or fk!n investment

we came till here not because of america

and we will go further wether u support us or not

we will rise to glory again whether u invest or not

the deputy national security advisor is providing business advice. his personal opinion carries little weight. take it easy guys.

sick of our idiotic media asking opinions of every other american official for the sake of spicy comments. I bet this guys sent out a questionnaire to a dozen US officials and see who responded with the most controversial statement

THIS

15,000 people died, many were scarred for life but Obama is busy making BP pay up 30billion$ for something which didn't even claim A SINGLE HUMAN LIFE :angry::angry::angry:

Unfortunate that's not true 13 people did die when the rig explode but I understand what you mean 13 versus 16000 (probably a low ball estimate).

And it turns out there are some Americans trying to file fraudulent claims against BP.

Another Louisiana Fisherman Caught Submitting Fraudulent BP Claim | Gov Monitor

the deputy national security advisor is providing business advice. his personal opinion carries little weight. take it easy guys

What exactly are you trying to imply ? You mean if Obama directly comes and tells us "We dont give a rats a$$ about the Bhopal gas thing and oh you're our b**** against China" then it would matter ?

BS!

What exactly are you trying to imply ? You mean if Obama directly comes and tells us "We dont give a rats a$$ about the Bhopal gas thing and oh you're our b**** against China" then it would matter ?

BS!

my personal opinion is don't pay attention to people who don't matter. We should make DOW pay no matter what any politician says

my personal opinion is don't pay attention to people who don't matter
^^
wtf is wrong with you dude, he's Deputy NSA

Let me re-iterate

"We are hearing a lot of noise about the Dow Chemical issues. I am not familiar with all the details but I think we want to avoid development which put a chilling effect on our investment relationship"

Thats a f****** insensitive thing to esp by the country's Deputy National Security Advisor !!!

^^
wtf is wrong with you dude, he's Deputy NSA

Let me re-iterate

Thats a f****** insensitive thing to esp by the country's Deputy National Security Advisor !!!

did you also notice he said, he's not aware of all the details. if he's being so nonchalant why are you getting so pumped up.

Fu**king americans,...we dont need u r bloody investment.......if u play double standards like this with india then ur digging ur own grave...u r alreadyenemy of china,russia and now India will be ur enemy too ...u will be FU**ED

USA - human rights and freedom, except for those we don't like.

"just say no" to dirty investment that destroys the environment.

Back
Top Bottom