What's new

Punjab to produce over 350MW from alternative energy

Edevelop

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
590698-image-1376590939-693-640x480.JPG

LAHORE: The Punjab government has selected 11 sites for the production of electricity from five alternative and renewable energy sources including solar, coal, biogas, biomass and wind and will woo the private sector to invest in these projects, a government official says.
A significant number of interested investors were expected to inject capital into these ventures and some had already been issued letters of interest by the government for initiating civil works and import of machinery, the official, who was aware of the developments, told The Express Tribune.
These projects will produce 358 megawatts of electricity, of which 200MW will come from four coal-based power plants, 140MW from solar plants, 3MW from biogas, 8MW from wind and 10MW from biomass.
According to a study conducted by the provincial government in association with interested investors, Cholistan enjoys the potential to produce 130MW of solar power and a site in the suburbs of Kasur has the capacity to produce 10MW from the same source.
For coal-fired projects, four sites have been identified – one each in Katha Sughral in Khushab district, Choa Saidan Shah Chakwal, Lila Pind Dadan Khan and Malikwal. Each of these will produce 50MW of electricity.
The government will construct two biogas plants on the outskirts of Lahore, one with a capacity of 2.5MW in Gowala Colony, Rakh Chand Rai and another of 1.5MW in Harbanspura.
The wind project will be developed at Kallar Kahar that will produce 8MW of electricity.
The biomass plant will be installed in any city producing a huge quantity of wheat and sugarcane as this will consume the raw material of these crops for the production of 10MW.

In 2011, the Punjab government established an independent energy department with a vision “to utilise all available resources in the province to provide affordable energy to all segments of the provincial economy through increase in generation and conservation.”
The province has also set up the Punjab Power Development Board to facilitate private sector investment in the power sector.

Punjab to produce over 350MW from alternative energy – The Express Tribune

Aren't they understating the solar potential of Cholistan? I mean 180MV seems too small for the geography of Cholistan.

Aren't they understating the solar potential of Cholistan? I mean 180MV seems too small for the geography of Cholistan.

Hon Hasnain,

Since I have keen interest in the Energy field, please believe me that Solar Energy is still the most expensive way of power generation. Extra cost is however offset by the fact that no CO2 is released during the power generation and no fuel costs. Nevertheless initial cost is prohibitive. For example:

I have recently come across the news that world’s largest solar power plant; Shams-1; was completed in Abu Dhabi last month. The project covers an area of about 2.5 square kilometres, produces 100 MW electricity and costs $600-million.This works out be about $6-million per MW.

On the other hand, according to a 2012 study conducted by the Central Electricity Regulatory Commission, New Delhi;per MW cost of setting up a 500 MW Thermal power plant in India comes to about IRS 5 crore which translates into approx. $1-million per MW. Thus Solar power requires about 6 times more capital.

IMHO even 180 MW Solar plant will be spread over a huge area and require very large investment.

Hon Hasnain,

Since I have keen interest in the Energy field, please believe me that Solar Energy is still the most expensive way of power generation. Extra cost is however offset by the fact that no CO2 is released during the power generation and no fuel costs. Nevertheless initial cost is prohibitive. For example:

I have recently come across the news that world’s largest power plant; Shams-1; was completed in Abu Dhabi last month. The project covers an area of about 2.5 square kilometres, produces 100 MW electricity and costs $600-million.This works out be about $6-million per MW.

On the other hand, according to a 2012 study conducted by Central Electricity Regulatory Commission, New Delhi;per MW cost of a setting up a 500 MW Thermal power plant in India comes to about IRS 5 crore which translates into approx. $1-million per MW. Thus Solar power requires about 6 times more capital.

IMHO even 180 MW Solar plant will be spread over a huge area and require very large investment.

Check this guy's capacity, cost and state of art energy storing technology. But yes solar is much expensive as compare to other fossil fuel....

SolarTowerMojaveDesert.jpg

Main Highlights of Solar Updraft Technology is storing energy as molten salt.

Thermal energy storage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hon Hasnain,

I have recently come across the news that world’s largest solar power plant; Shams-1; was completed in Abu Dhabi last month. The project covers an area of about 2.5 square kilometres, produces 100 MW electricity and costs $600-million.This works out be about $6-million per MW.

On the other hand, according to a 2012 study conducted by the Central Electricity Regulatory Commission, New Delhi;per MW cost of setting up a 500 MW Thermal power plant in India comes to about IRS 5 crore which translates into approx. $1-million per MW. Thus Solar power requires about 6 times more capital.

Of course it is, partly because the technology is relatively young and still quite expensive to acquire. Just like a .486 model computer costed around 50-60K (of course if you're not investing for gaming) in 80s and 90s. As the PC became more public, now even the front end PCs cost around a 100K. As the technology matures and economies of scale trickle in, the long run costs of innovations reduce making them more affordable. Just like the solar energy harness may not be competitive with fossil fuels. Unless it is not domesticated, it will always remain like a .486 PC of 80s

Back
Top Bottom