What's new

Punjab on track to host Pakistan’s largest wind farm

The Sandman

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
February 04 2016,

Lahore—The Government of Punjab has embarked upon an ambitious plan to host the largest wind energy project in Pakistan. In collaboration with Vestas Wind Systems, the Punjab Government aims to add 1,000 megawatt wind -based electricity into its grid, and issued a Letter of Interest (LOI) to Vestas on Wednesday regarding the first 250 MW stage of the proposed Quaid e Azam Wind Park in the south-west of the province.

Pakistan is facing a critical energy shortage, and the Punjab Government is keen on exploring avenues within renewable energy to improve its power supply. The potential for 4 x 250 MW indigenous wind power projects in Southwestern Punjab were identified by Vestas in late 2014 using the industry-leading Site Hunt technology. The Government of Punjab and Vestas signed a memorandum of understanding in February 2015. As part of the MoU, Vestas with the support of the Danish Embassy, will work with the Government of Punjab to facilitate securing approximately 2.2 Billion USD of investment for these projects.

Attending the LOI ceremony today in the Chief Minister’s House in Lahore where Chief Minister, Mr. Shehbaz Sharif, Ambassador Jesper Moller Sorensen, Political Director for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Denmark and Mr. Gerard Carew, Vice President Sales, Pan-Asia region, Vestas, along with other senior officials were present.

Political Director Jesper Moller Sorensen, who served as Ambassador to Pakistan in 2013 -2015 and introduced Vestas to Chief Minister Shehbaz Sharif during his tenure, explained that Pakistan is emerging as an interesting market for Danish companies, especially in the energy sector. He stated, “Pakistan is increasingly moving toward renewable energy solutions, where Danish companies are particularly strong. Denmark has long been a pioneer of wind energy, and Vestas is today a global frontrunner”.

He further added, “I would like to congratulate both Vestas and the Punjab Government for taking their cooperation so far in such a limited time span. It has only been 1 1/2 years, since we presented the Government of Punjab to Vestas’ technical expertise. I have no doubt that this project will contribute greatly to overcoming Punjab’s energy shortage. As this project unfolds, the Government of Denmark stands ready to support the Punjab Government with building further capacity and expertise in the field of renewable energy”. The Danish government plans to engage with the relevant government stakeholders in Pakistan to transfer Danish experiences in the areas of wind policy, technical integration of wind, and financing.

The first 250 MW project is targeted to start commercial operation in 2018. Vestas Wind Systems, headquartered in Denmark, has delivered wind energy in 74 countries. It has installed 71 gigawatt of cumulative installed capacity globally. Mr. Gerard Carew, speaking on the occasion, briefed the participants about the project. He informed that Vestas is committed to growth in emerging markets with Pakistan a key focus in the Asia Pacific region. “We are delighted to have reached this next important milestone in our collaboration with the Government of Punjab.

Through our industry leading Site Hunt tec hnology, Vestas identified opportunities for wind energy in Punjab previously not considered, and in a very short space of time by industry standards. We thank the Chief Minister and his Government for the support, co - operation, and progress made under our MoU thus far.—INP
http://pakobserver.net/detailnews.asp?id=288009
Yay we should build more and more renewable energy projects

Well Wind energy is expensive so we shouldn't be celebrating unless we get to know the tariff

Good Job Shabaz Sharif ,slowly Shahbaz Sharif is making Punjab independent in energy ,i just wished Sindh and KPK also do the same bcas the way i see it ,Punjab and Balochistan are going to be powerful hub for manufacturing as well as trade .I just wish Sindh can also do the same to improve lives.I am biggest advocate of Wind farm then Solar

Good Job Shabaz Sharif ,slowly Shahbaz Sharif is making Punjab independent in energy ,i just wished Sindh and KPK also do the same bcas the way i see it ,Punjab and Balochistan are going to be powerful hub for manufacturing as well as trade .I just wish Sindh can also do the same to improve lives.I am biggest advocate of Wind farm then Solar
No no sir, ganjas are going to destroy pakistan... let us all suck IKs balls till they're squeaky clean...

Well Wind energy is expensive so we shouldn't be celebrating unless we get to know the tariff

you will never going to know these tariffs because bhai "Qoum aur Mulk k behtreen mafad k liye sigha e raaz mein rakhe gye hain"

After Solar Awesome Step for wind farms :D In Punjab RLNG Solar Coal Dams power plants are already under construction and now Wind Power Plants :D :D

Denmark's Vestas signs MoU for wind power projects in Punjab

denmark-s-vestas-signs-mou-for-wind-power-projects-in-punjab-1424385149-6775.jpg

Photo-Release2-1024x435.jpg

Wind form in south west of Punjab
does the wind at required available in Punjab.
do any body have to yearly data for that area.
I think minimum speed required to run the wind turnbine should be 7---7.5m/s

No no sir, ganjas are going to destroy pakistan... let us all suck IKs balls till they're squeaky clean...
Im sorry im unable to understand the narrative of your post like you are taunting on whom ,this is my feeling about some one who is doing some thing rest all provinces are doing nothing and i have fear that this is going to be big rift in coming days not because Punjab is stealing any thing its just money is invested in infrastructure and rest all are enjoying and looting

you will never going to know these tariffs because bhai "Qoum aur Mulk k behtreen mafad k liye sigha e raaz mein rakhe gye hain"

Wind energy is fairly cheaper source of energy. On the plus side, it can be set up in short time, works 24 hrs and requires minimal recurring expenses. Negatives are it needs a supplementary power plant as winds are never consistent, noise pollution, loss of landscape's natural outlook and some hazard to birds.

Best location for wind farm in Punjab is Salt range area.

Wind energy is fairly cheaper source of energy. On the plus side, it can be set up in short time, works 24 hrs and requires minimal recurring expenses. Negatives are it needs a supplementary power plant as winds are never consistent, noise pollution, loss of landscape's natural outlook and some hazard to birds.

Best location for wind farm in Punjab is Salt range area.

Renewable Energy in general is expensive than Hydro, Coal and Nuclear but its cheaper than oil. Renewable Energy on the other hand is being supplied to the grid rather than being stored first to avoid costs which brings efficiency issue as well.

Renewable Energy in general is expensive than Hydro, Coal and Nuclear but its cheaper than oil. Renewable Energy on the other hand is being supplied to the grid rather than being stored first to avoid costs which brings efficiency issue as well.

Depends on many factors. Solar and Nuclear is bad planning. Hydel is best, most economical and least environmental effects. Of other, Wind is most suitable if a country has areas with good sustained winds. Reasons are, it requires no fuel, it is cheap to set up, it can be set up quickly and it has very less recurring costs unlike Solar.

No type of electricity can be stored on commercial scale. National grid manages Power plant output and demand to keep a steady supply. Which basically means output capacity has to be little more than demand.

Coal plants are good alternative if you have fuel inside country. However they take longer to establish and have greater environmental cost.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom