What's new

PTI: US drones are better than PAF jets

manojb

Reaction score
Country
India
Interview: ‘US drones are better than PAF jets’ - Pakistan - DAWN.COM
THE US drones were better weapons to use against militants as compared to Pakistan Air Force jets, believes Rustam Shah Mohmand, a Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf-appointed member of the government committee to negotiate with the Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP).

“Drones are more precise in targeting militants than the jets the air force is using, which cause heavy collateral damage,” he told Dawn. “The government should have formed a strategy in collaboration with the US to carry out strikes using drones.”

Last year, the Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) organised sit-ins over several months to force the US government to bring drone strikes to an end, and the Obama administration practically halted these operations.

However, Mr Mohmand, whom PTI chief Imran Khan declared the party’s point man on the TTP and militancy, now thinks Pakistan should have utilised the accuracy of drones.

“Pakistan should have had acquired drones from the US and operated them for the North Waziristan strikes, or it should have had collaborated with the US over authentic information about ground targets to reduce collateral damage,” he said.

The former bureaucrat who has served as Pakistan’s ambassador to Afghanistan, federal interior secretary, and political agent in Khyber and South Waziristan Agencies added that collateral damage caused by PAF jets in North Waziristan has forced several families to migrate to Afghanistan.

“Many civilians have been killed in the recent air strikes,” he commented. “Many markets, bazaars, shops and houses have been destroyed. This has forced hundreds of families to migrate to the Afghanistan province of Khost despite the fact that American forces bombard those areas. They are so frustrated that they prefer Khost over Bannu despite the unrest in Afghanistan.”

North Waziristan Agency is now the focus of the government given that most of the militants have reportedly moved here from South Waziristan.

“All of the leadership is in North Waziristan,” said Mr Mohmand. “Almost 80 per cent of the Mehsud tribes have left South Waziristan.”

Peace talks

In Mr Mohmand’s view, the strikes will also have an impact on peace talks with the TTP.

“As far as the peace talks are concerned, the Mohmand and Bajaur factions of the TTP have already announced that negotiations can’t go ahead in the shadow of the air strikes,” he explained. “The North Waziristan militants are on the run and are involved in infighting so they are unable to decide anything.”

According to Mr Mohmand, “contact was made between Maulana Yousaf Shah and Qari Shakeel-ur-Rehman of the TTP shura two weeks ago. The Taliban conveyed the message that they are waiting for a second meeting with the government committee but then the air strikes spoiled the environment. We are now unaware about the Taliban’s mood, but I think that the government has to go back to talks even if it is after two months.”

However, Mr Mohmand believes there were other reasons, too, that held back the peace process.

“There was a lukewarm response from both sides,” he explained. “The government should have released at least eight to ten non-combatant prisoners to help the negotiators convince the TTP to release Professor Ajmal Khan, the sons of Salmaan Taseer and Yousaf Raza Gilani, and several other people kidnapped by them. But this never happened. Then, certain TTP leaders think that they won’t be getting amnesty, so the process could not work.”

According to Mr Mohmand, “the militants asked for a safe place to hold talks with the government, in the Shaktoi area of South Waziristan, because of the lower presence of the army there and because they would have been able to sneak back into North Waziristan in case of an attack by the Americans. But the government refused to meet that demand, too.”

Nevertheless, he says, “I believe that talks are the only way forward.”

At the same time, he believes that the TTP is losing its strength.

“They have differences and clashes among themselves,” he explained. “Then, there is the dearth of resources and volunteers, while the fighters are fatigued. The local population wants peace, so I don’t think they can continue longer in this situation. A low-key insurgency can prevail for the next 10 or 20 years, but it has become quite difficult for them to keep the full-scale insurgency going across the country.”

Mr Mohmand also said that the number of foreign militants has also been reduced to a few hundred.

“Up to 300 or 400 foreign militants remain in Pakistan,” he explained. “They are Uzbek, Chechen, Turkmen and Arabs.”

He admits that the army has its justifications for the strikes after nine soldiers were killed in an attack on the forces, but opposes the widespread action.

“It was wrong to expand the area of operation,” he asserted. “The strikes should have been confined to recognised targets only.”

Asked about the possible result of the ongoing strikes and peace efforts, Mr Mohmand said that the government may be able to sign an accord with a faction of the TTP but several splinter groups would defy it.

“For a permanent solution, you will have to involve local tribesmen and disarm the militants through talks,” he said. “Then you can give them amnesty and include them in the mainstream on the assurance of the tribal elders.”

Published in Dawn, May 29th, 2014

Last edited:
PTI still political point scoring with the security of our country. Disgusting. They want us to remain in turmoil till Imran takes over so he can be our hero.

PAF jets need to pay a visit to PTI because they are speaking with TTPs tongues. Ghadars!

It seems PAK is going for a big offensive in its tribal areas. But before that PAK military must ensure safety of the innocent citizens of the tribal belt to keep the operation above any controversy. Safety of civilians should trump any other objective since these r your own countrymen and muslims. American can talk abt collaleteral damage since they hardly care abt human and muslim lives but U pakistanis can not. If PAK army talk like americans there is not much difference between u & them. IMHO PAK militaray should devise a comprehensive plan to evacuate as many civilians as possible all from the tribal belt. As per wiki the pop. of FATA is around 3.1 million. It would be a mamaoth task but then PAK army should know the ground scenario very well and PAK state should deploy all its resources (intellegence/media/health care personels) during the operation to reduce civilian casualty to the bare minimum.

This not PTI's stance. This is what i discussed with Rustam shah mohmand and Ayaz wazir few months ago.
I don't get it when are we going to deploy our Burraq and Shahpar instead of the jets?

It seems PAK is going for a big offensive in its tribal areas. But before that PAK military must ensure safety of the innocent citizens of the tribal belt to keep the operation above any controversy. Safety of civilians should trump any other objective since these r your own countrymen and muslims. American can talk abt collaleteral damage since they hardly care abt human and muslim lives but U pakistanis can not. If PAK army talk like americans there is not much difference between u & them. IMHO PAK militaray should devise a comprehensive plan to evacuate as many civilians as possible all from the tribal belt. As per wiki the pop. of FATA is around 3.1 million. It would be a mamaoth task but then PAK army should know the ground scenario very well and PAK state should deploy all its resources (intellegence/media/health care personels) during the operation to reduce civilian casualty to the bare minimum.
Population of FATA is not 3 million. In 1998 it was estimated by governament to be 3 million, in 2014 it is 7 million according to independent estimates. Its population is close to balochistan province but its entire area is smaller than kharan district of balochistan. Even the most thinly populated north waziristan has population of 0.8 million, larger than any district of balochitan. This small , relatively densely populated region is subjected to every weapon pak army has, since 2004, except nukes. Media access to the region is blocked ,so that scale of destruction and collateral damages stay hidden. The recent leaked pictures of civilian casaulties, are of educated dawar tribe some of whom are active in journalism.
@Secur, @Azlan Haider, @Oscar, @DESERT FIGHTER @TaimiKhan

iolkqt.jpg

This is the epitome of what's wrong in Pakistani politics. so many people would rather use guns and slogans rather than think things through. It becomes like a religion for them. SO many go out at set fire to private businesses and kill people in the name of their political party. Such people have no loyalty to Pakistan only their political party! @RAMPAGE Rather than use logic you just wish people with different ideas were dead. There can be no progress for a nation that works this way.

Here's why I don't wish any Pakistani politician dead unless they are sentenced by a just judiciary. Most of them are in some way trying to help the country. Now some may not be as smart as other some might be trying to profit unfairly for it, but you need a nation people that are smart enough to take power away from politicians that are wrong for the country using the power of argument, and smart enough to think about how to run a country, not just those who can impose their rule by learning to use a gun.

@RAMPAGE For you I hope some day you learn it's ok to question things even if you may come to the same conclusion you have assumed.

This is the epitome of what's wrong in Pakistani politics. so many people would rather use guns and slogans rather than think things through. It becomes like a religion for them. SO many go out at set fire to private businesses and kill people in the name of their political party. Such people have no loyalty to Pakistan only their political party! @RAMPAGE Rather than use logic you just wish people with different ideas were dead. There can be no progress for a nation that works this way.

Here's why I don't wish any Pakistani politician dead unless they are sentenced by a just judiciary. Most of them are in some way trying to help the country. Now some may not be as smart as other some might be trying to profit unfairly for it, but you need a nation people that are smart enough to take power away from politicians that are wrong for the country using the power of argument, and smart enough to think about how to run a country, not just those who can impose their rule by learning to use a gun.

@RAMPAGE For you I hope some day you learn it's ok to question things even if you may come to the same conclusion you have assumed.
Don't be so quick to judge me mate. I am not confused like most of the people out there. I know my enemy and I am willing to do what it takes to eliminate it.

Also PAF jets are better than the drones that are openly used. (Most modern manned jets are) It's widely known. See how it says PTI and not their leader. That probs means it was an individual and someone wanted to twist things around to wrongly make it more interesting.

I remember in the recent PPP rule some people used to say they don't have the technology to shoot down the drones, but this also isn't true. don't believe everything you hear.

Don't be so quick to judge me mate. I am not confused like most of the people out there. I know my enemy and I am willing to do what it takes to eliminate it.
Alright man. It's just when I see Pakistanis resorting to violence over loyalty to their political party it really pisses me, because they're ruining the Country they're trying to save. That post just got to me. As long as you're willing to question things and not blindly follow some political leader we don't have a problem.

Alright man. It's just when I see Pakistanis resorting to violence over loyalty to their political party it really pisses me, because they're ruining the Country they're trying to save. That post just got to me. As long as you're willing to question things and not blindly follow some political leader we don't have a problem.
I don't follow any political leader. I'm loyal only to Islam and Pakistan and anyone who threatens them is my enemy.

Tha last thing an army wants is to turn the public against themselves and this is exactly what's my worry in the aftermath of these recent air strikes in Waziristan. My credible (local) sources inform me that there has been heavy collateral damage and the population of the local area is brewing an anti-army sentiment... I am not against this 'surgical' operation but army should take absolute care ...and before anyone questions my patriotism i was a solider myself and ultimately i want my army to prevail , but not at the cost of heavy civilian deaths and anti-army sentiment...we don't want another Balochistan-like situation.

They are not wrong essentially. The PAF does use precision weapons, but the smallest Precision weapon the PAF has currently operational is the GBU-12 at 500 pounds. That still carried enough punch to bring down two blocks or devastate an equivalent area. It is ok to use if you want to blow up a concentration of militants in a bunker away from civillians, but when you take into account militant tactics of keeping their wives and children(along with those of any civillians) next to themselves.. you will kill innocents. The Army has a more potent weapon in terms of warhead size in the TOW missile, but the characteristic whup whup of the Cobras can be heard miles away and the enemy hides or builds up its human shileds by that time.

The drones by contrast, are relatively quiet and carry the perfect weapon. The AGM-114 has a balanced small sized warhead that still works great against groups of five to ten tribal militants in blowing them into nice chicken nuggets. It also ensures that even if those tribals who are not militants but are in the vicinity, end up relatively unharmed.

Back
Top Bottom