What's new

PTI to declare Education emergency in Pakistan on assuming power

So every party should only talk about terrorism? Education is an important part of life

Thanks for questioning urself!
Education is for the living ones? Not the dead ones?
This issue is over projected, for over educated elites who wants to showoff,among themselves,that they are important & are doing the right thing?
But what they,kept forgetting sitting in their well gurded drawing rooms, that there are millions of kids like malala some where around,who can't go to school & why they can't go school cause IK,s dearst talibans didn't wanted them too?
What we do,thn ?
Talk to them?
& wht we should talk?
No grils students, or no schools ,which they keep blowing up? What if they demand no more schooling? Only madarsaa,s for boys?

So again its just publicity stunt, for over educated fools?

IK has already talked about one education system on various occasions, his education policy is good, 5% of gdp is good amount and it should increase with time unlike these previous politicians they will cut the education budget for their income jiyalas support program and waste millions of dollars.

why is english medium still prefered? urdu medium should be encouraged

Those people who are so worried about Urdu should start translating some books from English to Urdu because the quality of books in Urdu is extremely poor, in case you haven't noticed. So its a choice between substandard books and English books. Not national language and foreign language.

same slave mentality

So the only reason you want to study Urdu is because English is the language of the British who ruled us. What an enlightened mentality, sir.

all big countries dont have english medium, for example france, japan, korea, germany, china, etc

The countries you talk about actually have quality books for high level education in their own languages.

And while we are on the topic, true, all 'big' countries don't have English medium but even Japanese who are considered conservative are teaching English to their children because they understand its importance and are not so enlightened to think that because Americans dropped nukes on us we should stop studying their language.

PTI Education Policy

here are the slides.... I will come later to comment....

Has anyone who made that policy actually shifted from Urdu medium to English medium and vice versa? Becuase that, my friend, is not an easy task. You simply can't expect easy switch from satah murtafa to plateau -_- I have done it once from English medium to Urdu medium and then from Urdu medium back to English medium while we shifted from one city to another. Destroyed my mathematical concepts, the last subject one would expect to be affected because of language. Better to teach the children in English from the start, though they might face difficulty at first they will eventually understand it better at higher levels when its really needed. Instead of making a sudden switch when its the most critical period of their academic life.

This IF of IK, is really foolish cause his everything is just bassed on if we win, if PTI gets elected wholy soly in next elections?
Better try if not?

Six-point education policy: PTI aims for one education system

Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) on Wednesday announced its six-point education policy.

It emphasised the education emergency in the country, the importance of an equal system for all, and the need to increase the education budget to 5% of GDP from the currently-pegged rate of 2.1%.
The policy was announced at a local hotel. PTI leader Shaukat Tarin gave an overview, while Chairperson Imran Khan, Secretary General Arif Alvi, Vice-Chairman Shah Mehmood Qureshi, and Women’s Wing President Fauzia Kasuri were also present.
Tarin opened the session by painting a grim picture of current education system.
The overall literacy rate is only 58%, and even worse in rural areas, he said, adding that only 46% women are literate.
Jarringly still, out of a total 44 million children who fall into the 5-16 age bracket, only 25.7 million are enrolled in schools. Only 1.1 million out of the total population go on to university.
Tarin also discussed the poor infrastructure, ‘useless’ learning outcomes, and high dropout rates in government schools. Furthermore, he mentioned the 1.72 million students enrolled at madrassas, and how they are unfortunately not recognized for employment purposes.
He said that under the PTI, the Higher Education Commission would be made a fully autonomous body, absolutely de-linked from the government.
The six points the entire policy rests upon are: one education system for all; re-engineering governance-based complete decentralization; gradual increase in education budget; adult education; teacher training; information and communication technology.

Six-point education policy: PTI aims for one education system – The Express Tribune

Has anyone who made that policy actually shifted from Urdu medium to English medium and vice versa? Becuase that, my friend, is not an easy task. You simply can't expect easy switch from satah murtafa to plateau -_- I have done it once from English medium to Urdu medium and then from Urdu medium back to English medium while we shifted from one city to another. Destroyed my mathematical concepts, the last subject one would expect to be affected because of language. Better to teach the children in English from the start, though they might face difficulty at first they will eventually understand it better at higher levels when its really needed. Instead of making a sudden switch when its the most critical period of their academic life.

Its not that you switch existing 7,8,9 or 10 th grader from english to urdu..

I think there is no rocket science in this policy . Real problem is that it is a part of multiple complex problems in our country which starts from terrorism to law & order , from financial debt to security issues , from power cuts to gas shortages , from indian security doctrine to local radical ethnic and religeous terrist groups . In this sort of country our resources are exhausted in emergency situations . In such a complex situation this spending of 5% to gdp ratio is nothing but a lolly pop to pti fan boys . Stop dreaming in day time be practical . This 5% is only possible after a long struggle not with documents and policies alone .

Leader I am going to transcend support for Imran Khan and look at PTI education policy as critically as possible. If you have clout with PTI leaders please relay my concerns.

Educational emergency is a good move. We all want it. This is a bold and welcome first step.

Was it a PDF or PPT presentation. Can the report be found online and is it downloadable. If so please provide a link as I would like to analyze in detail.

Now let me start with saying this is a very good initiative that may help the poor move to a better standard of education. Urdu too is being killed. I know people raised and studied in Pakistan who do not know proper urdu or fail to read or write Urdu. This is very welcome as even the book market is suffering in Pakistan because of lack of Urdu training. An urdu typist gets a very low salary. I have seen the issues in offices. Urdu has no future. Very welcome step indeed.

But providing of education in mother-tongue for primary level-thank God he said it only for primary level and even that is a little shock? I think he should leave such things to personal choice. No offence, I say this as a supporter. We can't impose things-theres already fake history, Islamiyaat and Pakistan affairs we have to deal with. I wish something had been said about that.

I really would want these concerns relayed to PTI. Please do copy my post and send it to him if you know him. I want the party to improve and not do something reckless in its first year. Do not ban private schools. Instead reform the public schools on their model. I saw similar ideas in his book a personal history. Also I have ideas on the Panchayat/Jirga system.

Welcome comment and very welcome initiative. Much needed. Though I remember Yousuf Raza Gillani the corrupt promising to raise it to 8% and nothing happening just like Raja Pervez Ashraf's white lie as power minister that the energy crisis would be eliminated.

The thing is people may realize when they come to power some things are impossible. But this should happen.

This is the crux of the statement. Brilliant. 1 Billion of Zardari and 1 Billion of Nawaz. Enough to educate thousands of children for years

Well said.

They should be in the mainstream but the curricula? He said nothing about the curriculum in the schools. I am imagining JI/JUI thugs in univesity now. University of Karachi people used to seeing them. @Secur might know.

There should be special schools for them that teach them moderate religion and theories of Ibn Rushd and mu'tazila thought. Also they should be taught each mans faith is his own concern.

Even you are unsure about this as we can see. :azn:
I do not believe English is to blame somehow... I don't know how English can be to blame for division. I know urdu and plan to buy my driver sajji some day soon. Most english speakers know urdu too and are bilingual. I don't understand this attack on English.

Sounds good, though I have no experience of the civil system so I cannot say devolution to the town level is better or control by the provincial government is. But local may lead to teaching of indigenous languages. Like Hindko in Hazara division. Maybe @Safriz would be happy.

I am so glad he raised this at all. No one reall cares about them and at least 500 schools have been shut in FATA and in some Shirani areas of Balochistan where there is heavy infiltration of Taliban. Also there are 3400 schools destroyed by flooding and militants in various areas of Pakhtunkhwa. No one has rebuilt them. 468 have been destroyed by militants in FATA with Bajaur making up the majority.

Good to see you are also a critic. I have always noticed this nonchalance in our PTI supporters and it is the best feature I believe in us. We do not stop thinking for ourselves, questioning party ideals and demanding better. This is what makes us fully capable of changing the political scenario, not just that but all of Pakistan.

I think Imran Khan is over-focusing on some things like universal education and taking it to the letter. Its near impossible having a universal education system for the country. For example when we say one education for all regions what about Pashto being taught in Pakhtunkhwa and Sindhi in Sindh. What about the history of Raja Dahir, Talpur kingdoms, Rajputs, Pir Roshan, Suris, Hurs being taught? This has to be covered too depending on the region. Pakhtunkhwa should know about the kalam of Rehman Baba as the Sindhis should know about the Hur movement while Balochs should know about the folk legend of Hani and Sheh Mureed.

Interesting to know what @muse and supporters like @Awesom and @AstanoshKhan think of this. This is a detailed analysis of what I think of the education policy. Manana.

Slides are shared in the thread post. check

Private medium cannot be banned nor PTI said so, what they said was to raise the uniform educational system, that is to say the objectives and aims of the system is to produce like minded citizens throughout the country.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every graduate must teach in govt schools for atleast 6 months. You can add that extra period of 6 months in the degree programs all over the country and grade them according to their performance, just like internships etc. And this would be a good source of getting teachers without burdening the national budget.

How does PTI propose it will handle the issue of multiple mediums and standards?

What little I know about policy making is that strategic level decisions form a policy.

Various projects would have to be launched for example:

1. Establishing a new medium of education
2. Setting a curriculum - Urdu/mother tongue based.
3. Training of teachers on curriculum
4. Establishing district level boards exist - as per policy
5. Improving facilities across schools - as per budget
6. Use of ICT equipment - as per policy

You measure performance against outcomes achieved.

Five percent is a significant part of GDP going to education. Currently Pakistan spends ~2% of GDP on education, so 5% is more than double current rate, which is a good start. Though Government has had a proposal to boost spending on education to 7% of GDP already, and to target 85% literacy rate by 2015.

Literacy target 85pc by 2015: Education to get 7pc of GDP

This was back in 2009, seems like they did not follow through with the plan.

They should:

> Teach children the truth in history books.
> Stop anti India tirades that spawn whole generations hating neighbors especially India.

@muse @Hyperion @notorious eagle What are your ideas on vocational training, ie TAVETA institites and technical colleges?

I fo believe that Australian TAFE system, even though not a perfect one can be a role model for a starter, maybe we can use some technical help from the Aussies?. @xdrive @vassanti @jhungary

Last edited by a moderator:
Punjab government already implemented 4 out of 6 points and other schemes e.g laptop.:cool:

1.One Education system for all.

2. Re-engineered governance with decentralization to district level.
(Already Implemented in Punjab)

3. Education budget to be increased from 2% to 5% of GDP

4. Skill Training & Education for Adults

5. Use of ICT
PEF (Punjab Education Foundation) already working in Punjab with the use of ICT Welcome to Punjab Education Foundation (Already Implemented in Punjab)

6. Proper Teacher Training
CPBEP is already working in Punjab for Teachers Training Program
http://www.semiotics.pk/default.aspx?docid=5\
It has it's own TDMIS (Teacher Development Management Information System)

If PML-N wins they need to work on Education, Healthcare, Power crises, Taxation, Infrastructure Development they can attract big investments from China, Turkiye and Arabs, i am not sure about Imran Khan.:undecided:

Every graduate must teach in govt schools for atleast 6 months. You can add that extra period of 6 months in the degree programs all over the country and grade them according to their performance, just like internships etc. And this would be a good source of getting teachers without burdening the national budget.

I suggested the same, what I said was that there should be a course(s) option for every graduate in his final year specifically designed to meet the requirements of primary, middle and matriculation level.. then and there after selecting his area of choice and passing that course, he/she should be given the job on stipend for 2 years (not compulsory) to teach in government schools..

Back
Top Bottom