What's new

PSLV-C20 launches 7 satellites

111838,xcitefun-amit-congratulations-480.gif

Thanks to ISRO for giving me the opportunity to thanks so many posts in one thread only.:agree: BTW I opened my TVset at 5:30, ISRO live telecast was just going to start in seconds. Afterwards I was praying continuously(Jai Bhagwan ji- Jai Bhagwan ji) and my fingers were so tightly crossed that itching had started but I was hell bent on not opening my fingers for next 20 minutes. That was for sure. Even my mother and sister in law were not able to understand why I was not leaving the TVset for 1 minute.

Thanks to ISRO for giving me the opportunity to thanks so many posts in one thread only.:agree: BTW I opened my TVset at 5:30, ISRO live telecast was just going to start in seconds. Afterwards I was praying continuously(Jai Bhagwan ji- Jai Bhagwan ji) and my fingers were so tightly crossed that itching had started but I was hell bent on not opening my fingers for next 20 minutes. That was for sure. Even my mother and sister in law were not able to understand why I was not leaving the TVset for 1 minute.

Congratulations to All Indians for another successful Test of MI(R)V. Hopefully it will soon be inducted as part of A6 :cheers:

HATS OFF to you dude :)

You can see beyond the things seen on the surface :tup:

But, TWO most important things:

1. ISRO is launching multiple satellites for quite sometime now (12+ years), but still we haven't been able to transfer it to missile technology.

2. "R" in MIRV stands for Re-entry, which this satellite certainly wasn't, so still long way to go.

yup....coz we Indians are a sentimental lot when it comes to Nationalism.....we celebrate our success even if they are just routine stuff coz even routine stuff gives us the joy of thought that our country is on the right path--that is Progress

congrats for a successful launch. India have done this many times and this is a mature technology for India. But never the less, its an achievement that only a handful of countries in the world can do.

PSLV prove itself too many times, noe concern on GSLV hope we will pass that too.

Gujrat may jo chahe mil sakta hai; you can drink anything you want to. Either get it home delivered or go to a 'starred' Hotel, where they serve liquor in the Bars and Restaurants. Only in Porbandar; I saw that it was more difficult. But there was a 'Desi Theka' just behind Gandhi-Baba's house. :lol:
Who will say that Gujju-Bhais are not enterprising!

new here. please help bhai if they serve Drinks in Star hotels. Any hotel you tried here in Ahmedabad? Will be thankful to you. Will offer you nice drink party on your next Ahmedabad visit :D

PSLV C-20 SARAL MISSION

India's Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle in its twenty third flight (PSLV - C20), launches the Indo-French satellite SARAL along with six commercial payloads from Canada, Austria, Denmark and UK into a 785 km polar sun synchronous orbit inclined at an angle of 98.538 deg to the equator. PSLV - C20 was launched on Feb 25, 2013 from the First Launch Pad of Satish Dhawan Space Centre SHAR (SDSC SHAR), Sriharikota.

With a lift-off mass of 407 kg, SARAL is the 56th satellite to be launched by PSLV. The six payloads from abroad together have a lift-off mass of 259.5 kg. PSLV - C20 is the ninth flight of PSLV in 'Core-Alone' configuration (without solid strap-on motors).

Pics from ISRO website on PSLV C-20 mission
pslv-c20-11.jpg

First Stage Assembly
pslv-c20-5.jpg

Second stage Engine
pslv-c20-9.jpg

pslv-c20-15.jpg

launchvehicle.aspx

pslv-c20-18.jpg

pslv-c20-17.jpg

ISRO's Official Brochure on Saral Mission
http://www.isro.org/pslv-c20/pdf/brochure.pdf

SARAL

The Satellite with ARGOS and ALTIKA (SARAL) is a joint Indo-French satellite mission for oceanographic studies. SARAL will perform altimetric measurements designed to study ocean circulation and sea surface elevation. The payloads of SARAL are:

Ka band Altimeter, ALTIKA- built by the French National Space Agency CNES. The payload is intended for oceanographic applications, operates at 35.75 Giga Hertz.

ARGOS Data Collection System- built by the French National Space Agency CNES. ARGOS contributes to the development and operational implementation of the global ARGOS Data Collection System. It will collect a variety of data from ocean buoys to transmit the same to the ARGOS Ground Segment for subsequent processing and distribution.

sat4.jpg

Saphire & Neosat
sat6.jpg

PSLV 4 stages details

STAGE-1STAGE-2STAGE-3STAGE-4
NomenclaturePS1PS2PS3PS4
PropellantSolid
(HTPB Based)
Liquid
(UH25 + N2O4)
Solid
(HTPB Based)
Liquid
(MMH + MON-3)
Mass (Tonne)138.041.07.62.5
Max Thrust (kN)47878042427.3 X 2
Burn Time (sec)102148110526
Stage Dia (m)
Stage Length (m)2012.83.62.8
ControlSITVC for Pitch & Yaw, Reaction Control Thrusters for Roll ControlEngine Gimbal for Pitch & Yaw, Hot Gas Reaction Control Motor for Roll ControlFlex Nozzle for Pitch & Yaw, PS4 Reaction Control System (RCS) for Roll ControlEngine Gimbal for Pitch, Yaw & Roll, on-off RCS for Coast Phase Control

*HTPB : Hydroxyl Terminated Poly Butadine
*UH 25 : Unsymmetrical di-methyl hydrazine + 25% Hydrazine Hydrate
*MMH : Mono Methyl Hydrazine
*MON-3 : Mixed Oxides of Nitrogen
*SITVC : Secondary Injection Thrust Vector Control

The Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle,usually known by its abbreviation PSLV is the first operational launch vehicle of ISRO. PSLV is capable of launching 1600 kg satellites in 620 km sun-synchronous polar orbit and 1050 kg satellite in geo-synchronous transfer orbit. In the standard configuration, it measures 44.4 m tall, with a lift off weight of 295 tonnes. PSLV has four stages using solid and liquid propulsion systems alternately. The first stage is one of the largest solid propellant boosters in the world and carries 139 tonnes of propellant. A cluster of six strap-ons attached to the first stage motor, four of which are ignited on the ground and two are air-lit.

The reliability rate of PSLV has been superb. There had been 22 continuously successful flights of PSLV, till February 2013 . With its variant configurations, PSLV has proved its multi-payload, multi-mission capability in a single launch and its geosynchronous launch capability. In the Chandrayaan-mission, another variant of PSLV with an extended version of strap-on motors, PSOM-XL, the payload haul was enhanced to 1750 kg in 620 km SSPO. PSLV has rightfully earned the status of workhorse launch vehicle of ISRO.

Payload on C-20

NameWeightBuilt byCountryMission Objective
SAPPHIRE
148 kgMDA Systems LtdCanadaTo obtain time-tagged images from space of the Resident Space Objects (RSO) and then extract the precise angular positions of the RSOs
NEOSSAT
74 kgMicrosat Systems Canada IncCanadaTo acquire images of the regions of interest, in order to detect and track either near-Earth asteroids or satellites in Geostationary orbit
NLS 8.1
(UNIBRITE)
14 kgUniversity of ViennaAustriaTo photometrically measure low-level oscillations and temperature variations in stars brighter than visual magnitude with unprecedented precision and temporal coverage not achievable through terrestrial-based methods
NLS 8.2
(BRITE)
14 kgTechnical University of GrazAustriaTo make photometric observations of some of the brightest stars in the sky
NLS 8.3
(AAUSAT-3)
3 kgAalborg UniversityDenmarkTo make a feasibility study of receiving Automatic Identification System signals from ships in arctic regions
STRaND-1
6.5 kgSurrey Satellite Technology Limited(SSTL)UK- To evaluate the performance of Commercial Off-the-Shelf Mobile Phone Electronics in a space environment

- To demonstrate the use of pulsed plasma thrusters on nano-satellites

SARAL407 kg French National Space Agency CNESIndo-French JVMarine meteorology and sea state forecasting
Operational oceanography
Seasonal forecasting
Climate monitoring
Ocean, earth system and climate research
Continental ice studies
Protection of biodiversity
Managment and protection of marine ecosystem
Environmental monitoring
Improvement of maritime security

SARAL
sat3.jpg

sat2.jpg