What's new

Protests commence in Turkey over Murder

The Silent One

Reaction score
Country
United States
BBC News - Turkey rallies over murder of woman who 'resisted rape'

Thousands of women in Turkey have protested at the murder of a young woman who allegedly resisted an attempt by a bus driver to rape her.

Police discovered the burnt body of Ozgecan Aslan, 20, in a riverbed in the city of Mersin, on Friday.

They have arrested three men in connection with her death - a minibus driver, his father and a friend.

The Turkish president and prime minister called Ms Aslan's family to offer their condolences.

Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu promised the family to hunt those responsible for the crime and punish them.

Ms Aslan, a psychology student, was kidnapped on Wednesday on her way home.

The driver allegedly tried to rape her. She reportedly fought him off with pepper spray, but was then stabbed to death. She was also hit on the head with an iron pipe.

The brutality of the murder caused an outcry across Turkey.

Thousands of women staged protests in several cities on Saturday, including Ankara, Istanbul, and Mersin - Ms Aslan's hometown in southern Turkey.

In Istanbul, women activists held two separate protests to show their anger at the murder.

More in the Article (Link Provided)

I think this may lead to something much much bigger, because alot of Turks that i have met are anti-Erdogan (i've yet to meet a Turk who supports him, i have no idea why i kind of like his foreign policy)

Back
Top Bottom