What's new

PROFESSIONAL BOXING-- Vijender wins pro debut, knocks out Britain's Sonny Whiting

samlove

Reaction score
Country
India
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-Sonny-Whiting/articleshow/49305282.cms#write

vijender-robe.jpg

Vijender dominated the second round and looked in much better shape than his British counterpart. (BCCL)

RELATED
NEW DELHI: Indian pugilist Vijender Singh had the perfect beginning to his professional career as he knocked out Britain's Sonny Whiting via a technical knockout at the Manchester Arena in his debut on Saturday.

The bout lived up to the hype and Whiting's pre-match comments about how badly he was going to hurt Vijender fell flat as a flurry of punches, combined with jabs and uppercuts smacked the Briton and the referee had to step in to stop the contest.

The 29-year-old Indian walked out to a mixed reaction with Punjabi music glaring in the background. As the bout got underway, both men were seen exchanging soft blows. However, Vijender held his guard and repeatedly pushed Whiting in the corner.

Soon, a flurry of punches targetted at Whiting's body caught the Briton off-guard. The first round was even-sided when the bell rang. The second soon began with Vijender once again taking Whiting to the corner. He showed great speed and reflex to avoid swift punches from his opponent. The 29-year-old used his long reach to full advantage against his 26-year-old rival, who is himself merely four-bouts old in the pro circuit.

The Indian clearly dominated the second round and looked in much better shape than his British counterpart. Him and Whiting both exchanged a few hard blows early in round three before the Indian unleashed a string of jabs. About ten seconds later, Vijender found Whiting's face about six times on the trot. The referee was forced to intervene since a groggy-looking Whiting was unable to continue, handing Vijender his maiden pro victory.

"Thanks to all my fans. My next fight will be Oct 30 in Harrow, enjoy it. It's new for me but I've been working hard. It's going well, I want to win! That's just the beginning," Vijender said after a resounding start to his pro career.

"I am very happy for this win. It's just a beginning as I have to go a long way. I will work more hard and have to be Professional champion one day," he added. "I never got nervous during the bout. My punches have replied to Sonny Whiting in the ring. Its new for me but I have been working hard. Its going well. I want to win, win and win."
video

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-Sonny-Whiting/articleshow/49305282.cms#write

vijender-robe.jpg

Vijender dominated the second round and looked in much better shape than his British counterpart. (BCCL)

RELATED
NEW DELHI: Indian pugilist Vijender Singh had the perfect beginning to his professional career as he knocked out Britain's Sonny Whiting via a technical knockout at the Manchester Arena in his debut on Saturday.

The bout lived up to the hype and Whiting's pre-match comments about how badly he was going to hurt Vijender fell flat as a flurry of punches, combined with jabs and uppercuts smacked the Briton and the referee had to step in to stop the contest.

The 29-year-old Indian walked out to a mixed reaction with Punjabi music glaring in the background. As the bout got underway, both men were seen exchanging soft blows. However, Vijender held his guard and repeatedly pushed Whiting in the corner.

Soon, a flurry of punches targetted at Whiting's body caught the Briton off-guard. The first round was even-sided when the bell rang. The second soon began with Vijender once again taking Whiting to the corner. He showed great speed and reflex to avoid swift punches from his opponent. The 29-year-old used his long reach to full advantage against his 26-year-old rival, who is himself merely four-bouts old in the pro circuit.

The Indian clearly dominated the second round and looked in much better shape than his British counterpart. Him and Whiting both exchanged a few hard blows early in round three before the Indian unleashed a string of jabs. About ten seconds later, Vijender found Whiting's face about six times on the trot. The referee was forced to intervene since a groggy-looking Whiting was unable to continue, handing Vijender his maiden pro victory.

"Thanks to all my fans. My next fight will be Oct 30 in Harrow, enjoy it. It's new for me but I've been working hard. It's going well, I want to win! That's just the beginning," Vijender said after a resounding start to his pro career.

"I am very happy for this win. It's just a beginning as I have to go a long way. I will work more hard and have to be Professional champion one day," he added. "I never got nervous during the bout. My punches have replied to Sonny Whiting in the ring. Its new for me but I have been working hard. Its going well. I want to win, win and win."
video

He started late but still have spark in him

He should have gone pro a long time ago but he's looking good in the ring.
Lets see if can touch gloves with the likes of GGG and/or Andre Ward.

Waiting for his next match on 30th October.

Last edited:
love them jats, when it comes to combat sports or games with high physical contact they are the best in India:tup:
Supermen of India, what the spartan were for the greeks jats are for india.kudos

He should have gone pro a long time ago but he's looking good in the ring.
Lets see if can touch gloves with the likes of GGG and/or Andre Ward.

Waiting for his next match on 30th October.
Perhaps he could have competed with such outstanding fighters if only he would have turned pro after Beijing.

Supermen of India, what the spartan were for the greeks jats are for india.kudos

Perhaps he could have competed with such outstanding fighters if only he would have turned pro after Beijing.

He should have yes, but there is usually a disconnect for Indian boxers who usually don't go pro after having successful amateur careers. Vijender is the first to do so.
Maybe they are afraid of the format or maybe fighting to go thru your opponents rather than just hitting them for points is too new for them.
Vijender took a risk and won with a TKO in his 1st match but if he is able to perform in the future as well, I'm sure it will encourage other Indian boxers to go pro as well. Besides there's a lot of money in pro boxing, look at Mayweather.
There have been boxers who have started late and won in most of the belts( IBF,WBA,WBC,WBO,IBO).

But as I said if he aims to reach the top he'll eventually have to fight undefeated middleweights like Gennady Golovkin, one of the toughest inboxers in the world never to have been KOed, and/or Andre Ward a precision outboxer who will take you down slowly.

Pakistani boxer Amir Khan is one such example of a pro boxer from South Asia though representing UK who has been successful in winning world titles.

He should have yes, but there is usually a disconnect for Indian boxers who usually don't go pro after having successful amateur careers. Vijender is the first to do so.
Maybe they are afraid of the format or maybe fighting to go thru your opponents rather than just hitting them for points is too new for them.
Vijender took a risk and won with a TKO in his 1st match but if he is able to perform in the future as well, I'm sure it will encourage other Indian boxers to go pro as well. Besides there's a lot of money in pro boxing, look at Mayweather.
There have been boxers who have started late and won in most of the belts( IBF,WBA,WBC,WBO,IBO).

But as I said if he aims to reach the top he'll eventually have to fight undefeated middleweights like Gennady Golovkin, one of the toughest inboxers in the world never to have been KOed, and/or Andre Ward a precision outboxer who will take you down slowly.

Pakistani boxer Amir Khan is one such example of a pro boxer from South Asia though representing UK who has been successful in winning world titles.
It is extremely difficult to win a world title by turning pro at an advanced age as in the case of Vijender, I dont think a fighter turning pro at the age of 29 has ever won a genuine title, (IBO is a bogus belt), beside you would be shocked at how little money their is in boxing, its like 0.01% earning 99.9% of the money. You can count on a single hand the fighters who are guaranteed a million dollar pay day per bout, neither is Ward nor Golovkin.

It is extremely difficult to win a world title by turning pro at an advanced age as in the case of Vijender, I dont think a fighter turning pro at the age of 29 has ever won a genuine title, (IBO is a bogus belt), beside you would be shocked at how little money their is in boxing, its like 0.01% earning 99.9% of the money. You can count on a single hand the fighters who are guaranteed a million dollar pay day per bout, neither is Ward nor Golovkin.

I don't know, look at James Smith or Nate Campbell or Carl Froch or even Wilfredo Vasquez, if Vijender has the capacity to win world titles then age is just a number. If Bernard Hopkins can fight at 50 then age is definitely just a number.
Still better than getting government jobs back home.

I don't know, look at James Smith or Nate Campbell or Carl Froch or even Wilfredo Vasquez, if Vijender has the capacity to win world titles then age is just a number. If Bernard Hopkins can fight at 50 then age is definitely just a number.
Still better than getting government jobs back home.
In regards to Bonecrusher, heavyweight boxing is a little different, the guys are huge not as mobile, they are technically a lot more basic. In the case of Froch he turned pro at 24 and respect to him for achieving all he did at an somewhat advanced age, NB Froch was a decorated amateur fighter who won bronze at the world amateurs championships in Dublin, on the way to that medal he did a number on the Olympic Gold medalist btw I was not aware of Wilfredo Vasquez turning pro at a late age, I thought he fought on too long. In regards too Hopkins, the man is genetic freak, the amount of shots he took from Kovalev in the final round truly merited admiration, he was a pro when Reagan was president and he is still seeking a fight with Arthur Abraham lol, btw Hopkins turned pro in his early twenties which I suppose is late compared to most Mexicans who turn pro at 16.

In regards to Bonecrusher, heavyweight boxing is a little different, the guys are huge not as mobile, they are technically a lot more basic. In the case of Froch he turned pro at 24 and respect to him for achieving all he did at an somewhat advanced age, NB Froch was a decorated amateur fighter who won bronze at the world amateurs championships in Dublin, on the way to that medal he did a number on the Olympic Gold medalist btw I was not aware of Wilfredo Vasquez turning pro at a late age, I thought he fought on too long. In regards too Hopkins, the man is genetic freak, the amount of shots he took from Kovalev in the final round truly merited admiration, he was a pro when Reagan was president and he is still seeking a fight with Arthur Abraham lol, btw Hopkins turned pro in his early twenties which I suppose is late compared to most Mexicans who turn pro at 16.

Well we can only hope that Vijender becomes successful and does a Campbell.
But yes starting late does have its disadvantages, not that Vijender doesn't have a great amateur CV though.
He has fought and secured medals in Commonwealth games, Asian games including a bronze in World amateur boxing Championships and if I'm not wrong somewhere around the initial rounds of the Beijing Olympics(where he won a bronze) Vijender had defeated Badou Jack who is now the WBC super middleweight champ.

Pro and Am boxing are totally different, Vijender may win a title in the future who can say but the odds are against him.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom