What's new

President awards Bharat Ratna to Sachin Tendulkar and Prof. CNR Rao

Chanakya's_Chant

Reaction score
Country
India
President awards Bharat Ratna to Sachin Tendulkar and CNR Rao

NEW DELHI: In a fitting finale to what has been a glorious career, batting maestro Sachin Tendulkar was on Saturday chosen for the prestigious Bharat Ratna, the country's highest civilian award, making him the first sportsperson to be bestowed with the honour.

The 40-year-old icon, who called time on his glittering international career today, was chosen for the top award soon after his farewell Test against the West Indies ended in Mumbai.

A brief statement issued by Rashtrapati Bhavan spokesperson Venu Rajamony said the President has awarded the Bharat Ratna to Tendulkar, who retired from the International cricket today.

Tendulkar bows out as the most successful batsman in international cricket with 15,921 runs in 200 Tests. In his ODI career, which he needed last year, Tendulkar amassed 18,426 runs in 463 matches.

The Mumbaikar is the only batsman in international cricket to score 100 centuries. He was the first batsman to get a double hundred in one-dayers.

The award is a perfect send off gift to Tendulkar whose career spanned 24 years making him an inspiration for an entire generation of cricketers.

There have been continuous demands for him to be conferred the honour for a long time and the eligibility criteria of the award was revised last year to accommodate sportspersons as well.

Tendulkar, who became the first active sportsperson to become a Rajya Sabha member last year, is being given the honour along with Professor CNR Rao, the man behind India's maiden Mars mission. Prof CNR Rao is an eminent scientist and a well recognized international authority on solid state and materials chemistry. He has published over 1,400 research papers and 45 books.

Prof Rao's contributions have been recognized by most major scientific academies around the world through conferment of memberships and fellowships. He has been honoured with several national and international awards.

The Bharat Ratna is being conferred after a gap of years with classical vocalist Pandit Bhimsen Joshi being the last recipient.

Source:- President awards Bharat Ratna to Sachin Tendulkar - The Times of India 
I wish Major Dhyan Chand and Ratan Tata would have also got the same...Anyways #salute to Master Blaster and Prof. CNR Rao!!!!

looks like some political move by conferring this award so early to sachin while ignoring many deserving players before

Sachin is the biggest ICON in cricket there has ever been..I was almost in tears when he got out..What a player he was and he deserves every credit he gets !

This is a short poem I wrote as a tribute to Sachin

The numbers don't a tale tell
The silence that descended when your wicket fell

The executive strokes and cover drives
Are for ever resigned to the archives

On you shoulders A billion hopes you carried
Never played an innings that was hasty or harried

The Sachiin Sachin chant will never reverberate through the grounds
The bowlers will no longer fear your punches and pounds

You may have retired but you will always have a place in our heart
We are lucky to see a sportsman who was a class apart

May you reach the heights of greatness wherever you go
We all say thank you Sachin for a wonderful show

looks like some political move by conferring this award so early to sachin while ignoring many deserving players before
Who are those players by the way?

Major Dhyan Chand is the one whom should have got this before Sachin.

PS: I'm all for Sachin getting Bharat Ratna :D

I thought he said about some cricketers, i :cheers:am in for Major Dhyan Chand too..

My advice to Sachin. Bharat Ratna is Okay, but don't jump into politics or make some loose political statement otherwise you will repent why you got Bharat Ratna in the first place. These fellows will just tear you apart if you make any false or stupid move!!

CNR Rao is a legend in the field of Semiconductor Physics, he has about 45 Books and 1500 publications in his name.

Ashoke Sen should be next in line for such a prestigious award next year.

CNR Rao is a legend in the field of Semiconductor Physics, he has about 45 Books and 1500 publications in his name.

Ashoke Sen should be next in line for such a prestigious award next year.

I know, but pity him. He is alone and the whole of India is after Sachin and no body noticed it!! Even his name is also not there in some of the front pages least to speak about his achievements.

Back
Top Bottom