What's new

Practical Solution - The 7100 MW Bunji Dam (cleared by CDWP)

AbuzarIlyas

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Bunji
7100.jpg

BUNJI HYDROPOWER PROJECT
bunji-hydropower-1180x530.jpg

Location The Project is located on Indus River near Gilgit. Power House and dam sites are 560 km & 610 km respectively from Islamabad.
Salient Features
Installed Capacity
7100 MW
Mean Annual Energy 24760 GWh
Design Discharge 1900 m3 /sec
Gross Head 445 m
Tunnel Length 7.8 km each, 5-Nos.
Type of Dam RCC Gravity
Height of Dam 200 m
No. & Type of Turbine 20 ,Francis Type
Total Project Cost

Project base cost

13498.3 Million US$

8104.6 Million US$

Gross Storage Capacity 0.20 MAF
Execution by WAPDA
Commencement Date -
Completion Date -
Financial Status Local (Rs. Millions) FEC (Rs. Millions) Total (Rs. Millions)
Original PC-I Cost
897,820.6 431,086.5 1328907.07

Status

The Project has been principally cleared by CDWP on 02.12.2015 for approval of ECNEC.

It is already too late bu still we need dams for electricity and even more importantly water storage.

Bunji
7100.jpg

BUNJI HYDROPOWER PROJECT
bunji-hydropower-1180x530.jpg

Location The Project is located on Indus River near Gilgit. Power House and dam sites are 560 km & 610 km respectively from Islamabad.
Salient Features
Installed Capacity
7100 MW
Mean Annual Energy 24760 GWh
Design Discharge 1900 m3 /sec
Gross Head 445 m
Tunnel Length 7.8 km each, 5-Nos.
Type of Dam RCC Gravity
Height of Dam 200 m
No. & Type of Turbine 20 ,Francis Type
Total Project Cost

Project base cost

13498.3 Million US$

8104.6 Million US$

Gross Storage Capacity 0.20 MAF
Execution by WAPDA
Commencement Date -
Completion Date -
Financial Status Local (Rs. Millions) FEC (Rs. Millions) Total (Rs. Millions)
Original PC-I Cost
897,820.6 431,086.5 1328907.07

Status

The Project has been principally cleared by CDWP on 02.12.2015 for approval of ECNEC.

The water storage capacity is not enough. We need Dams that have adequate storage capacities as well.

The water storage capacity is not enough. We need Dams that have adequate storage capacities as well.
I don't think figures about water storage capacity are correct. Will update after getting more information.

Pakistan is caught in between rock and a hard place. Can't develop KAlabagh dam for which multilateral donor can be arranged but there is venomous local opposition, esp. ANP, and other dams are in Gilgit Baltistan [Part of Pak-held Kashmir] which India opposes and no donor wants to finance.
Pakistan needs dams immediately as everything, its economy, agriculture depends on its water security. Too much is wasted into the sea
Bunji Dam ia in Gilgit Baltistan, so doubt any multilateral organization like World Bank would finance it, due to opposition from India.

China already offered to develop the indus river cascade and it was agreed in the JCC meeting when all of a sudden WAPDA chairman withdrew diamer bhasha dam from the cpec arrangement which China readily agreed to finance, on some financing issues and leveling charges of sovereignty against China, a charge they angrily denied and quietly withdrew from there pledge for the rest. Indian and western media, used this to cast aspersions that cpec is a way to overtake other countries primary assets.
Pakistan can build this but firstly we need to avoid IMF, which will never let this happen, do something about the roadblocks like WAPDA's babus and local politicians. It was IMF programs that made economic plans of govt.s like PPP to cut PSDP in the 90s, thats the first thing they'll do. PAkistani public will stand with anyone who builds dams and China will finance it.

I'm hearing about bunji dam it ever since i graduated and that's good 15+ years.

I'm hearing about bunji dam it ever since i graduated and that's good 15+ years.
it shows the irony! none of the policy makers worked on it including musharaf but feasibility reports and studies were carried out in his tenure.

And it is the reason why CJP gave a remark in Kalabagh case that Zardari and Nawaz did nothing in this matter. We are facing a grave situation here.

Single Bunji Project can wipe out all the IPPs from Pakistan and this is why our bureacracy, politicians and other mafias are against it. Water can be arranged through different sources. Real issue is transmission of electricity from such dams in North to the areas in SOUTH. Pakistan needs to revamp the NTDC for transmission purposes and initiate 5 such dams to secure the future.

Interesting facts

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalabagh_Dam

http://www.wapda.gov.pk/index.php/projects/hydro-power/under-construction/dasu

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dasu_Dam

http://www.wapda.gov.pk/index.php/projects/hydro-power/ready-for-construction/bunji

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunji_Dam

Good to see Dasu dam bigger than Kalabagh dam is under construction with completion date of 2023. Bunji dam is also ready for construction.

It's better to go for alternative instead of wasting time on controversial things.

Back
Top Bottom