What's new

Powering the Solar Revolution In Pakistan

_NOBODY_

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The world is quickly moving towards renewable energy sources. In Pakistan, less than 5 percent of the country's energy comes from renewable energy (excluding hydro power). To talk about how the country can promote renewable energy and whether ending the grid as we know it is feasible, Uzair Younus spoke to Shazia Khan.

Shazia Khan is the CEO of EcoEnergy, an environmental lawyer, and off-grid energy expert. She began her career as a consultant with the World Bank, working with the Global Environment Facility and Africa Energy. Prior to that, Shazia worked at Pakistan’s National Development Finance Corporation, facilitating long term financing for energy projects.

@ghazi52 @araz @The Eagle @The Accountant @That Guy @Irfan Baloch @PanzerKiel @AgNoStiC MuSliM @Imran Khan @PAKISTANFOREVER @waz @Windjammer @WinterFangs @KaiserX @niaz @farok84 @AZADPAKISTAN2009 @MastanKhan @krash @FOOLS_NIGHTMARE @Bilal Khan (Quwa) @Cookie Monster @Bratva @VCheng @Foxtrot Alpha @Rafael @Rafi @Trango Towers @TNT @Indus Pakistan @Falcon26 @Norwegian @LeGenD @Iltutmish

Last edited:
The world is quickly moving towards renewable energy sources. In Pakistan, less than 5 percent of the country's energy comes from renewable energy (excluding hydro power). To talk about how the country can promote renewable energy and whether ending the grid as we know it is feasible, Uzair Younus spoke to Shazia Khan.

Shazia Khan is the CEO of EcoEnergy, an environmental lawyer, and off-grid energy expert. She began her career as a consultant with the World Bank, working with the Global Environment Facility and Africa Energy. Prior to that, Shazia worked at Pakistan’s National Development Finance Corporation, facilitating long term financing for energy projects.

@ghazi52 @araz @The Eagle @The Accountant @That Guy @Irfan Baloch @PanzerKiel @AgNoStiC MuSliM @Imran Khan @PAKISTANFOREVER @waz @Windjammer @WinterFangs @KaiserX @niaz @farok84 @AZADPAKISTAN2009 @MastanKhan @krash @FOOLS_NIGHTMARE @Bilal Khan (Quwa) @Cookie Monster @Bratva @VCheng @Foxtrot Alpha @Rafael @Rafi @Trango Towers @TNT @Indus Pakistan @Falcon26 @Norwegian

Good video, and this should be a top priority for the government. It will help the environment, reduce dependency on expensive imports and in the long run prove cost effective.
Pakistan also has a high potential for tidal energy, see here;

Tidal energy, a form of hydropower, is clean, environmentally friendly and more predictable compared to wind energy. Tidal power has the greatest energy density (watts/cum per second) compared to solar (medium) and wind (lowest). Tidal power belongs to most efficient renewable energy resources, with about 80 percent efficiency. It has high initial capital cost, whereas cost for establishing infrastructure is the same as for wind-based power, but it is inexpensive to maintain. Other benefits include lower project construction time as tidal turbine can be installed in 9-10 months. However, power generation cost, which is in the range of cents 10-12 per kWh, is considered higher compared to other sources.

over 70km along the Arabian Sea can alone generate 900MW tidal power.

Look at the potential for Pakistan in terms of tidal power;

1617724880924.png

Pay attention to Pakistan's location, India also does well.

Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 17.01.58.png

More evidence on Pakistan's potential for tidal energy;

1617725132627.png

Yellow lined regions of Pakistan's coast line at 80-90 kW/M.

Pakistan is blessed with regards to renewable energy.

Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 16.40.54.png

For solar energy Pakistan ranks among the top countries in the world for its potential.

Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 16.45.39.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 16.45.49.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 16.46.02.png

Last edited:
Good video, and this should be a top priority for the government. It will help the environment, reduce dependency on expensive imports and in the long run prove cost effective.
Pakistan also has a high potential for tidal energy, see here;

Tidal energy, a form of hydropower, is clean, environmentally friendly and more predictable compared to wind energy. Tidal power has the greatest energy density (watts/cum per second) compared to solar (medium) and wind (lowest). Tidal power belongs to most efficient renewable energy resources, with about 80 percent efficiency. It has high initial capital cost, whereas cost for establishing infrastructure is the same as for wind-based power, but it is inexpensive to maintain. Other benefits include lower project construction time as tidal turbine can be installed in 9-10 months. However, power generation cost, which is in the range of cents 10-12 per kWh, is considered higher compared to other sources.

over 70km along the Arabian Sea can alone generate 900MW tidal power.

Pakistan is blessed with regards to renewable energy.

View attachment 731395
It is. Do you know my good friend - Dr Mas#### is one of the brains behind mathematical symetry which is being used to design these turbines. He is from your country but left 4decades back and lives here

It is. Do you know my good friend - Dr Mas#### is one of the brains behind mathematical symetry which is being used to design these turbines. He is from your country but left 4decades back and lives here

Thanks for the information brother. How's South Africa doing on the Green energy front?
@waz Insha'Allah I'll start constructing my house in 1-2 years and I will definitely be using a 5KW on grid solar system to power my home.

Wow bro! God speed with it. I hope you set the benchmark for others to follow. Solar energy is in literal abundance in Pakistan, harnessing and utilisation can be worked upon.
I used to find it ironic when Pakistanis complained about not being able to harness or find gas/oil deposits, but yet here Pakistan is blessed with limitless energy, but plods along with the speed of a snail.

In 2005, the annual global energy demand was 13 terawatts (TW) or 4.1×1020 J. Every country needs power sources for its economic growth. By 2100, the world with new emerging economies and a growing population will require an energy demand of around 46 TW

Solar radiation is the primary source of energy on Earth. It drives air and ocean currents and essential to animal and plant life. Annual calculated solar radiation on the Earth surface is around 120 thousand TW. The total value of other clean energy sources is not suitable to sustain global demand. For instance, according to UN estimates, the remaining global hydrostatic potential is 0.5 TW. Ocean tides at any moment contain approximately a total of 2 TW of energy. Extracting all the energy from wind and tidal waves is not possible as it would mean the ocean and air current turn motionless. At the same time, total extractable wind power is around 2-4 TW.

Solar radiation is abundant, and just by covering 0.16% of the earth surface with 10% efficient solar cell can generate 20 TW of power. The main issue with solar cells is their cost. To replace our electricity demand, it is 5-10 times expensive than fossil fuels derived plants and can be 50 times more costly than fossil fuels as a primary energy source

Basic Research Needs for Solar Energy Utilization

Thank you.
Nice sharing.

Thanks for the information brother. How's South Africa doing on the Green energy front?

Wow bro! God speed with it. I hope you set the benchmark for others to follow. Solar energy is in literal abundance in Pakistan, harnessing and utilisation can be worked upon.
I used to find it ironic when Pakistanis complained about not being able to harness or find gas/oil deposits, but yet here Pakistan is blessed with limitless energy, but plods along with the speed of a snail.
you know waz - we started off with a massive bang. Then the indian gupta parasites came in and massively dented; those bastards set us back by 2 decades with massive stealling with Zuma. It is starting to come back under control.

Now covid is here - massive issues across all fronts.

At home i have around 20kW generation capacity; now i did add a set of wind turbine as well; to supplement.

The problem with the power sector in Pakistan is not with renewables or fossil fuels. It is the circular debt. No power producer can continue to operate where they are not paid according to the contractual obligations. I don't even need to mention line losses and theft etc.

you know waz - we started off with a massive bang. Then the indian gupta parasites came in and massively dented; those bastards set us back by 2 decades with massive stealling with Zuma. It is starting to come back under control.

At home i have around 20kW generation capacity; now i did add a set of wind turbine as well; to supplement.

How tall is your wind turbine? It sounds you have plenty of land available.

How tall is your wind turbine? It sounds you have plenty of land available.
yes, i have around 120+ hectares. lots of hills as well. My turbines - i have 2 set. I put it around 10m. Dont laugh.. i repurposed TV towers which are in their thousands in this place; then mounted it; it came in 2 sections of 5m. Digging the base was the mother... I dug up 0.5mx0.5mx1m

1617726119816.png

One of the first licenses for net metering was issued to Pakistan’s parliament building in Islamabad, which switched to solar energy last year. Some banks have started financing home solar systems, which are cropping up across the country.

The Islamabad Electric Supply Company has introduced net metering, and other power companies in large cities such as Lahore and Karachi will be following suit “in a matter of months, not years” said AEDB’s Awan.

However, the government still needs to simplify connection rules and procedures for small-scale solar power to be more widely adopted, Masud said.

“There are several procedural and commercial details to be worked out before rooftop photovoltaic panels become a common sight in Pakistan, but it’s only a matter of time before it does,” said Masud.

Pakistan already has one major solar park - the Quaid-e-Azam Solar Park in Bahawalpur, built with Chinese investment. It produces 400 megawatts with plans to rise to 1,500 megawatts of solar production.

“Not just the Chinese, but many other companies from countries like Germany and the United States are coming into Pakistan to invest in solar energy,” said Vaqar Zakaria, the chief executive officer of Haigler Bailly Pakistan.

How much energy does your wind turbine generate?

Back
Top Bottom