What's new

Power generation hits all-time high in Bangladesh

India uses a lot of electricity in older tech industries like steel smelting etc.

The older the industrial tech, the more power consumption per capita.
Yes but I doubt that is a big factor when comparing aggregate energy consumption figures with a country like Bd that hardly manufactures any high value secondary goods.

Regardless of what India does, Bangladesh needs to take drastic measures (such as cutting red tape around "ease of doing business", improve factory-to
-port communication infrastructure, etc.) to be able to industrialise quickly and graduate from being a dirt poor hellhole.
300-600 kwh per capita is pathetic even for a third world country.

Power generation hits all-time high in Bangladesh​

The power generation capacity of Bangladesh is more than 26,000MW

Power Plant

Representational photo Bigstock
Tribune Desk
Published: April 13, 2023 11:09 PM | Last updated: April 13, 2023 11:14 PM

Power plants in Bangladesh generated record 15,304 megawatts (MW) of electricity on Thursday — a new record, according to the Bangladesh Power Development Board (BPDB).

The highest electricity generation in the history of Bangladesh was recorded at 9pm.

The production broke the previous record of 14,932MW generated on Wednesday, said BPDB.

The previous record of single-day power generation was on Tuesday when a 14,800MW of electricity was produced.

According to the PDB, this new production record is the result of maximum effort to maintain the normal power generation and supply during Ramadan and summer.

Currently, the power generation capacity of the country is more than 26,000MW
Good for BD, the important part is that this power generation is being used more effectively than us in Pakistan where the output is higher at 41,000 MW yet the industries are not performing as well as BD.

No, but prosperity is measured in reduction of poverty rate, literacy, life expectancy etc and not how powerful and rich our army generals are.

An investigation into Bangladesh Army should reveal how powerful and rich these militiamen are in Bangladesh.

Good for BD, the important part is that this power generation is being used more effectively than us in Pakistan where the output is higher at 41,000 MW yet the industries are not performing as well as BD.
Pakistan's output is 15000-16000 MW. 41000 MW is the generation capacity from which only a fraction gets produced.

Yes but I doubt that is a big factor when comparing aggregate energy consumption figures with a country like Bd that hardly manufactures any high value secondary goods.

Regardless of what India does, Bangladesh needs to take drastic measures (such as cutting red tape around "ease of doing business", improve factory-to
-port communication infrastructure, etc.) to be able to industrialise quickly and graduate from being a dirt poor hellhole.

Well India's whole Railroad infra also runs on electricity. Which is another huge spender of electrical power produced. In any case comparisons between India and Bangladesh on power consumption is a non-starter because so many things are different. Just as an example Bangladesh boasts world's largest number of "green" factories with lowest carbon footprints (all LEEDS certified). That number in India may or may not be similar.

About your second paragraph - agree wholeheartedly. Nothing to boast about for sure.

@Chute bhai,

Availability using the bottom row will look to be about 535 KWh per capita this year and consumption maybe around 480 KWh. You can bump these up a bit from what is supplied/consumed by importing from India/Bhutan but it will maybe be a 10% on top of that.

Thanks for the link as well. I am an energy analyst and this is of some professional interest to me. It would seem that the per capita energy availability is just about half of India, which is surprising considering that the per capita GDP (nominal) of BD is quite a bit higher than India's.

Maybe some of the other learned members of this forum like @bluesky @Cheepek or @Imran Khan sb would shed some light on this.

Regards

What I have seen that Bangladesh people hardly use electrical appliances - although it is quite common nowadays for village households to have refrigerators, microwaves. aircons and televisions which are rather more efficient because they were recent purchases.

Also - used to be that weather in Bangladesh is not as severe as some desert regions in India. But that is changing. Last week there was a severe heat wave which exceeded 40 degrees C which is very unusual for us, but maybe not so for North Indian areas.

The other reason is that there is some scope or factor of miscalculation of consumption. Some factor we may not be taking into consideration. Because of her size and population, India uses a lot of electrical power in basic industrial processes which Bangladesh does not. Mining/Processing Aluminum, Refining Oil and Steel production I mentioned, there may be others.

Last edited:
Govt bureaucrats just do not want to change the system. They would rather protect it as if it is their solemn duty. This is how they earn money.

Politicians over their heads are unable to do this because they are just half-literate and know nothing of the changes that you have suggested. And they are unable to direct the bureaucrats who keep them happy with a part of Bakhra.

I expect a number of well-educated persons to be elected to the Parliament if there is a fair election. Many of them are capable to contribute in changing or creating new systems.

A Parliament in a civilized country is a place to discuss national development, and many important decisions are made by the sub-committees there to be followed up by the ministries.

@villageidiot @waz

Clickbait thread. Every good title is related to bangladesh. I came here thinking of Pakistan

Please derive a solution for us to properly identify BD threads and they should have a prefix in title with ‘BD’

How many Hilsas are in a kilo?
I’m gonna leave this to my aquamen bangladeshi brethren

Thanks for the link as well. I am an energy analyst and this is of some professional interest to me. It would seem that the per capita energy availability is just about half of India, which is surprising considering that the per capita GDP (nominal) of BD is quite a bit higher than India's.
In India and other countries, the GDP figures follow the rule books on economy and the per capita power consumption per capita in a way different from BD.

Then why BD's economy does not follow the economic rules? The situation here is different.

I believe that the infusion of foreign money to build infrastructures has caused to increase in the circulation of very large amounts of money in the economy. With more economic activities, money circulates hands, produces goods and services, and increases the GDP.

How long this growth may last depends upon how new investments are made in the industrial sector, local or FBI. I think there are many promises of FDI from many countries like Japan, South Korea, and China, and our local capitalists are also investing but the news does not always come out in the newspapers.

If this trend continues, BD will be producing more goods and services, and the GDP will keep on rising.

Also - used to be that weather in Bangladesh is not as severe as some desert regions in India. But that is changing. Last week there was a severe heat wave which exceeded 40 degrees C which is very unusual for us, but maybe not so for North Indian areas.
Exceding 40 degree cesius was a decade high for Bangladesh. Our normal highest is around 38 degree celsius.

While in India, except for small Himalayan states like Himachal, Uttarakhand, and small north eastern states, West Bengal, and Kelara, all other parts of India experience 50 degree celsius or more temperature, from Punjab in the north to Andhra Pradesh in the South.

Here is news Andhra Pradesh, a southern Indian state experiencing more than 50 degree celsius.

I can not imagine how people survive there. We are feeling intolerable even at 40 degree celsius.

@Chute bhai,

Availability using the bottom row will look to be about 535 KWh per capita this year and consumption maybe around 480 KWh. You can bump these up a bit from what is supplied/consumed by importing from India/Bhutan but it will maybe be a 10% on top of that.

Maybe some of the other learned members of this forum like @bluesky @Cheepek or @Imran Khan sb would shed some light on this.

Regards
Bangladeshis are very climate conscious, they believe in conservation of energy.

That's why their metros run only 4hrs- 6hrs a day.

That's the secret juice of their low consumption of.... almost everything.

Back
Top Bottom