What's new

Population growth in Sub-Saharan Africa

Corruptistan

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Sub-Saharan Africa and the Horn of Africa will experience a population boom much greater than anything predicted for the Arab world and South Asia by 2050 and 2100 which are generally thought of as being the most fertile "non-Sub-Saharan African" regions in terms of population growth.

For instance I have seen persistent statistics of Nigeria becoming the 3rd largest population in the world by 2050 (predicted) exceeding 400 million people.

Add to that a horde of much smaller African countries having absurdly high populations (predicted).

How will such huge population growth in such a short timespan effect Africa and the immediate neighborhood when the African countries in question already have huge challenges as it is?

Why sub-Saharan Africa might exceed its projected population size by 2100​

Population growth in Africa: grasping the scale of the challenge​

Environmental destruction linked to African population raises questions about family sizes​

Date: June 26, 2019

Source:Flinders UniversitySummary:Africa is projected to be home to nearly 3 billion people by 2100, but rapid population growth will cause widespread environmental degradation unless effective family planning becomes widespread policy, according to new research that tracked increased population pressures on the continent's ecosystems.

This is a ticking environmental, economic and societal time bomb IMO.

There is already widespread drought/famine/hunger in the Horn of Africa.

The world is already ignoring this catastrophe.

I can't see how this will unfold without major problems and challenges.

Last edited:
Final nail in the coffin of white supremacists I guess

Yes, imagine that by 2050 or 2100, 3-4 Sub-Saharan African countries alone will have as big a population as the entire European/European descended population worldwide.

Who would have thought that just 100 years ago?

Anyway some 10.000 years ago most Europeans themselves were "Black"/dark-skinned.

First modern Britons had 'dark to black' skin, Cheddar Man DNA analysis reveals​

This article is more than 4 years old
The genome of Cheddar Man, who lived 10,000 years ago, suggests that he had blue eyes, dark skin and dark curly hair

A forensic reconstruction of Cheddar Man’s head, based on the new DNA evidence and his fossilised skeleton.
A forensic reconstruction of Cheddar Man’s head, based on the new DNA evidence and his fossilised skeleton. Photograph: Channel 4

Anyway if you ask me, olive-skinned, brown and many dark people are far more beautiful than pale Brits.

Final nail in the coffin of white supremacists I guess
We should not look at certain problems from a racial point of view. There is water shortage and all kind of enviromental problems linked to population growth. Borders have no meaning when it comes to environment. Other problems are the rising costs for governments to provide their people with their basic needs. If Nigeria is able to provide basic needs for 400 million people it would not be a big problem because wealth and education will automaticly adjust the population growth,

Last edited:
We should not look at certain problems from a racial point of view. There is water shortage and all kind of enviromental problems linked to population growth. Borders have no meaning when it comes to environment. Other problems are the rising costs for governments to provide their people with their basic needs. If Nigeria is able to provide basic needs for 400 million people it would not be a big problem because wealth and education will automaticly adjust the population growth,
A large working force is benefecial. The problems you mentioned will be solved by lowering population growth based on the country's abilities and demographic. Limiting parents from having upwards of 4-8 children. You can remove the restrictions gradually once the country is in steady success. China is one very successful example of this

I do not see problem with that prediction itself, problem is if those countries stay on similar technology level like today and with same political systems.
In that case this could turn out in disaster of epic proportions.

I do not see problem with that prediction itself, problem is if those countries stay on similar technology level like today and with same political systems.
In that case this could turn out in disaster of epic proportions.

This is the main problem. Already now huge areas of the Horn of Africa and Sahel (let alone Sub-Saharan Africa) cannot met their own basic food needs due to the population boom, climate change, ineffective and corrupt governments, desertification etc.

A given geographic area can only support x or y amount of people irrespective of technological progress. For instance no matter how much technology there is, Bosnia cannot sustain a 100 million population. Let alone a country like Niger for instance which has a fertility rate of almost 7 which is the highest in the world.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom