What's new

Political Columns

load3.jpg

Of course these people always prefer to stay close with the politicians in the name of friendship or whatever. I personally know a lot of incidents where such thing happened and people in key positions were "bribed" by new cars and expensive trips.For them it costs less to bribe the politicians than to pay out (If the businessman was willing to gift a brand new Mercedes, the cost of his theft must be higher than the theft he committed). But as I said the commitment that the cabinet has shown til now and the resolve of Nawaz Sharif to eradicate corruption will prove to be a firewall. Let's pray that God almighty keep them committed to their cause with honesty.

Last edited by a moderator:

These mafias are same old mafias which are there untouched since decades. These same people did corruptions via these same old ministers of 90's era, how long do you think these old ministers will be able to resist them? Don't you know how these kind of mafia people work? They will find each minister's weaknesses which are quite easy to find, because everyone is same old corrupt man with dirty past. They will eventually get blackmailed because of their old wrong deeds. This corruption world is a hole, once you're stuck in there, then almost no way out.

Last edited by a moderator:

1-I wrote an email to Nusrat Javeed on the very matter. Media anchors are reacting vigorously on this 35% and why are they reacting
Dear Nusrat sahib,
I am an avid reader of your columns. with reference to your current column regarding Ishaq Dar, I have been consistently following the electronic media over the past few days. And I am finding it amazed that most of the anchors are specifically targeting his decision about higher income tax for high-income class. Even tn today's column, my most favorite journalist (with all respects to you) Talat Hussain sahib specifically targeted the same issue while effectively sidelining the core issues (like sales tax increase etc) As a student of economics, I personally believe that the government has made income tax more progressive. Previously, government used to charge a flat 20% above the income of 2.5 million Rupees. This effectively meant that while tax law made distinction between the poor, middle income, middle to higher income, it didn’t make any distinction between the rich, super rich and ultra rich since everybody with income above 2.5 million was paying flat 20% of their income tax. I hope you would be in a better position to judge the compensation structures of media anchors these days. However, I did have a fair guess as I saw a recruitment ad of a newly opened media group (bol tv) and I wished that I would have the benefits and compensation offered to prospective recruits. Even if I look at the lower benchmark of high income group (i.e 2.5 million), this effectively means around 210000 rupees a month. Now can anybody call this person a “common man”? Consider his salary with a person earning around 15-20 thousand a month (an average earning bracket of common man). If both given an average 10% increase, merely the salary increase of 210000 would be greater than whole salary of common man. If somebody is earning 5 to 6 million a year, what’s wrong if he has to pay around 10% extra? If we look at the low income slabs, the taxation structure is pretty much similar to previous meaning that government hasn’t added any addition burden on common man in reality (except the impact of sales tax). Therefore I would humbly request you to kindly investigate this matter and let the Pakistanis know that how this media mafia is campaigning against taxation and forcing government to take back a good taxation decision
2- The tax paid on school fee is Adjustable (i.e. if one is a registered tax payer,he can claim this tax back). The purpose of imposing this and tax on vehicles was to tap the sector for unregistered tax payers (i.e. to collect some tax from those people who send their children to expensive schools and buy expensive cars, yet don't pay any taxes).
http://www.brecorder.com/taxation/1...ering-charging-adjustable-wht-on-school-fees/

1-I wrote an email to Nusrat Javeed on the very matter. Media anchors are reacting vigorously on this 35% and why are they reacting

2- The tax paid on school fee is Adjustable i.e. if one is a registered tax payer. He can claim this tax back. The purpose of imposing this and tax on vehicles was to tap the sector for unregistered tax payers (i.e. to collect some tax from those people who send their childern to expensive schools and buy expensive cars, yet don't pay any taxes.
FBR considering charging adjustable WHT on school fees | Business Recorder

Agreed. Just because I posted the article doesn't mean I fully agree!!!:)

The adjustable tax on the vehicles is also for the same purpose as the Adjustable tax on schools fees above 200k.

But still, there are alot of loopholes that need to be covered but were not in the budget. Indirect taxes affect everybody, direct taxes are targeted towards a specific person. A GST increase has practically no affect on a super rich, but when he is directly taxed through capital gain or real estate, he will get affected.

A person can make a hefty 50 million profit in one day, without paying a dime in tax.

Yup...as if a ISI Major gets a brainwave one day to pick up some Baloch people randomly and send a message to Dr Malik!!!
The point was that there must a message from army that it is on the same page as the government on Balochistan? Or should at least track those who threw those mutilated bodies if Agencies are not involved. It can certainly do that. Silence creates doubts and you cant control those doubts.

The point was that there must a message from army that it is on the same page as the government on Balochistan? Or should at least track those who threw those mutilated bodies if Agencies are not involved. It can certainly do that. Silence creates doubts and you cant control those doubts.

COAS did make a statement pointing to the Balochistan government I think...it was during the PM oath taking I think.

As for tracking bodies, I'll tell you a story. This was narrated to me by someone in Balochistan. The Levies there found a mutilated body inside a water drain near Khuzdar. The usual stuff happened, some photos, fingerprints, ID etc. The LEA's also found a note there with the body that said that the BLA did this as this guy was a pro-Pakistani. There was a name of some guy as well and a sign. The LEA's tried to solve the case but no luck.

Then a couple of days later the FC stopped an ammo truck and apprehended the driver. On info from the driver, FC and other agencies did a operation against the intended destination of the truck (on the mountains) and found a little camp. There weren't many people there, only a few were arrested. No leader or anything, probably low level workers. On interrogation, the agencies found out that these guys were the ones who threw that mutilated body in the water drain. Then the court ordered retrieval of missing persons and the name of 2 guys (who were in custody) also came up.

The local authorities got in touch with the SC Quetta branch and explained the situation. The court ordered that these people be produced before the courts and trialed. Presto, within 2 weeks, these guys were free!!!

I am sure you would have seen the interview of Saleem Safi with a suicide bomber, the bomber was confident and said 'mujhay jail nhn hogi, main azaad ho jaoon ga'. Why did he say that? Because he knew that the court wouldn't convict him and his Taliban buddies would pressurize the judge.

Point being, these agencies don't go around kidnapping people for the fun of it. Those kidnapped people are 90% of the time terrorists or have links with terrorists. When they are produced in court, majority get free. Then the agencies do not produce them before courts but keep them with themselves.

Some of these missing persons aren't even in state custody!!! There are instances of young boys coming down from the mountains after seeing their relatives on TV!!! Nobody goes to a terrorists camp after telling his family! They all run away and are presumed dead or kidnapped by their families.

You tell me yourself, why would ISI or FC or Army kill a 60 year old man on oath taking day of CM and dump him??? Why o why? Hamid Mir has absolutely no proof that ISI or FC did it, yet he labels them as the perpetrators. There is just as much of a chance if not more that BLA did it. It could be because the old man was running a shop and refused to pay extortion money. Maybe because BLA wanted to send a message.

hamid Mir said yestrday that it was FC which did these 2 attacks in Balochistan to send a message? He is saying this without any proof, this then further gives rise to negative remarks and feelings in the public.

Now why the Army doesn't respond? Good question. ISPR is slower than a turtle, it sucks at doing propaganda and stuff like that. Second thing is that the Army doesn't have a respondent sitting on a TV show or in the National Assembly to counter Achakzai's stupid comments. (I sort of respect the guy, but this statement was stupid to the core). Third is that what happens if the Army issues a counter statement, and a few days later a journo ends up kidnapped or dead? Fingers will inevitably point out to the military!

Back
Top Bottom