What's new

Policy watch: What factors helped Bangladesh overtake India in per capita income?

As for basic maths, 25% of 160 million comes to 4 crores and yes that's exactly the number of Muslims that are higher in our bordering states if their population growth rate is calculated using the normal Muslim TFR in India.

Total population of Muslims in WB, Assam, Tripura etc is 3.6 crore.

@Sudarshan you obviously want to spend a lot of time on this forum.

May I suggest you interact as selectively as possible?

Folks like mmr are worth engaging with compared to you giving "triggered" replies to some dumb trolls that simply are hooked on hate and are utter lost causes best left to wallow in their filth.

Just put them on ignore and move on.

Well that came out of the right mouth :sarcastic:

With a few honorable exeptions, Indians on this forum has been a obnoxious bunch.
Maybe its time for you to look in the mirror and understand why people on this forum react against your arrogance and outright spreading of lies.

India did good job with software exports. U guys get 200 billion dollar injections every year without need to waste money for import by just selling ur human capital or brain.

Bd on other hand still dependent on cheap garments and that also heavily dependent on import of capital and raw materials.

So ya wealth for indians will remain high unless bd get rid of cotton underwear business and do something more meaningful like indians manage to did. I doubt that will happen. So far bd a country of 160 million ppl has only one unicorn thats all. Which is fucking pathetic.
Maybe you are an IT graduate and lack basic understanding of economics, indians IT sector creates huge wealth but only employs small fraction of its population thats why india sees enormous disparity of income in It hubs vs rural areas, as India is trying to impliment a new approach in development by advancing it tech services before exceling in manufacturing. No one has yet been successful in this model yet and yet to see if it can be successful. On our end we do not want to follow indias model of development.we are following asian model of manufacturing excellence tgen to technical services export. So please do not give us lecture on your it export where half your country is starving. If you look at statewise gdp per capita Hope you be successful in your unorthodox model.

India should look at its income disparity between states like bihar which is a populus state, gdp per capita was 659 in 2019 vs goa where goa or delhi has gdp per capita is around $6k. Not the case in Bangladesh where the wholecountry is somewhat homogeneous in income. So rather than braggin about a small fraction of your rich citizens think about working on your extreme poor large states like Bihar and Uttar pradesh. Your it exportes are surly not sharing their wealth with the biharies, you compairing some states making big money is same as us giving you exapmple of collective weath of rich individuals in our major cities and saying we are rich.

so look into the mirror first, while shaving as u may be cutting your nose. :D

And that too because of Slummerdesh Bureau of Shitistics, in consumption metrics you’re behind us in everything.

Covid exposed your shambolic economic model.

People chucking dead bodies from bridges.

Cutting down roadside trees to burn bodies.

Ran out of oxygen!

Allegedly poorer Bangladesh - sailed through covid with the smallest excess deaths. Rated number 5 in the world for covid management.

Bangladesh is targeting 100 billion usd export target in next 10 years. Do you even have idea how much China is earning per year exporting RMG? Not only that how much India is reliant on it?

If you don’t know about it please don’t make comments on it.

India’s software export of 200 billion usd plus is indeed impressive but only around 3 million people are involved into this sector that’s a very tiny number for a country of 1.4 billion.

Bd is trying to get some foothold into the software export business and in next 5-10 years will have a substantial earning from this sector.

Government has a target to earn more from software export than RMG. If that happens it will be indeed great but it doesn’t mean Bangladesh need to abandon RMG sector altogether.

For info Bangladesh has the worlds second largest freelancer at the moment after India.

Its not they employ 3 million ppl or not. its the future growth. india have 70 unicorn (Each of them have valuation usd 1 billion plus) last year along...meaning some of these companies will become 50 or even 100 billion dollar companies in coming years. if not all of them. you really think bd underwear garments industry is same as software...so ya i know exactly what i am talking about.

Maybe you are an IT graduate and lack basic understanding of economics, indians IT sector creates huge wealth but only employs small fraction of its population thats why india sees enormous disparity of income in It hubs vs rural areas, as India is trying to impliment a new approach in development by advancing it tech services before exceling in manufacturing. No one has yet been successful in this model yet and yet to see if it can be successful. On our end we do not want to follow indias model of development.we are following asian model of manufacturing excellence tgen to technical services export. So please do not give us lecture on your it export where half your country is starving. If you look at statewise gdp per capita Hope you be successful in your unorthodox model.

India should look at its income disparity between states like bihar which is a populus state, gdp per capita was 659 in 2019 vs goa where goa or delhi has gdp per capita is around $6k. Not the case in Bangladesh where the wholecountry is somewhat homogeneous in income. So rather than braggin about a small fraction of your rich citizens think about working on your extreme poor large states like Bihar and Uttar pradesh. Your it exportes are surly not sharing their wealth with the biharies, you compairing some states making big money is same as us giving you exapmple of collective weath of rich individuals in our major cities and saying we are rich.

so look into the mirror first, while shaving as u may be cutting your nose. :D
No i am not in IT. i work with a global investment firm. and i know amount of FDI pouring in to indian software eco system. BD can only dream that type attention from investment or pension funds managers.

You seems to getting bit personal. take a chill pill.

Last edited:
Its not they employ 3 million ppl or not. its the future growth. india have 70 unicorn (Each of them have valuation usd 1 billion plus) last year along...meaning some of these companies will become 50 or even 100 billion dollar companies in coming years. if not all of them. you really think bd underwear garments industry is same as software...so ya i know exactly what i am talking about.

No i am not in IT. i work with a global investment firm. and i know amount of FDI pouring in to indian software eco system. BD can only dream that type attention from investment or pension funds managers.

That’s a whole different argument. But main topic is RMG that’s something very important for Bangladesh and instead of abandoning Bangladesh should add more values and should try to get more RMG business that’s going out of China. It not only helping Bangladesh earn money but also employ big number of people.

India is into the software export business since 1990s but Bangladesh is new entrant so definitely it will take some time to make it big. Bangladesh is investing heavily into the sector and training a million freelancer. All together this will transform the sector in the coming years.

As I said employing few million or having some unicorn can definitely be said impressive but it won’t resolve bigger problem of India as it doesn’t employ much people. India need more companies like Tara, Reliance etc which can employ more people so that more poor people can come out of poverty and economic disparity reduces.

Supapowa 2020 is not only poorer than BD, much of Sub-Saharan Africa is also richer than their $hithole..

India GDP/capita (2020): USD 1900
Namibia GPD/capita (2020): USD 4211

Now cope Slumdians!

These Pajeets seem to have some comprehension problems. Enough said. Bhikhari 8-pass sanghis should not scream so loud. Chorer Ma'r boro gola. :rofl:

Here is Global Hunger Index ranking from 2019, for 2021 India improved to 101st place!! Congrats Sanghis for f*cking up India like your Modi did.....:yahoo:

Country (ranked from highest to lowest)GHI rank (among 117 countries)GHI score (0-100; 0 being the best score, 100 the worst)
Sri Lanka66th17.1
Nepal73rd20.8
Bangladesh88th25.8
Pakistan94th28.5
India102nd30.3
Afghanistan108th33.8
Bhutan [not included due to lack of data]NANA
Maldives [not included]NANA

You are right.

Colossus amount of money is going into these unicorns.

But it’s going into the pockets of very few.

The shareholders are mostly non-Indians - who will eventually siphon money out of India.

Like Amazon et al do out of the U.K. paying no tax.

These unicorns are destroying small family run businesses.

The overall effect on their economy will be as bad as the west.

Bangladesh is following the more inclusive model.

Covid showed the weakness of the Indian growth model.

FDI investments in Indian IT sector will also attract larger amounts than other sectors (especially in India which is a much larger country than Bangladesh), so that is another point of discussion. They were doing this even before the 90's.

IT investments are cyclical and wane and ebb with demand. However people don't stop needing basic clothes and medicine, demand is more or less constant and exists even during recessionary times.

The fact is - top down development like in India (as @BananaRepublicUK bhai mentioned above) does nothing for the poor in India and that is the spot India is in today (GINI coefficient is off the charts, ironically which Modi and BJP actually want).

Bottom up development is what helps third world countries and which historically helped the Asian tigers in ASEAN. @Homo Sapiens bhai is the expert on this, he can kindly elaborate. This is the next best thing to having communism, along with some basic social safety net (healthcare, income protection, universal pensions) which Bangladesh is already planning. @jamahir bhai your comments.

I am proud of the fact that Bangladesh has made it this far on steady local industrial and commercial investments where we ourselves are not dependent on the vagaries of foreign investments which can come and go in a flash.

There are Billion of dollars of Auto Mfr. investments which have receded from Indian shores in recent years. I am sure you know about those too. These sectors (along with shipbuilding especially) are cyclical oriented which can ruin a fragile economy. Maybe India being a large country can do this, but not a smaller country like Bangladesh which does not boast the diversification that India has.

FDI investments in Indian IT sector will also attract larger amounts than other sectors (especially in India which is a much larger country than Bangladesh), so that is another point of discussion. They were doing this even before the 90's.

IT investments are cyclical and wane and ebb with demand. However people don't stop needing basic clothes and medicine, demand is more or less constant and exists even during recessionary times.

The fact is - top down development like in India (as @BananaRepublicUK bhai mentioned above) does nothing for the poor in India and that is the spot India is in today (GINI coefficient is off the charts, ironically which Modi and BJP actually want).

Bottom up development is what helps third world countries and which historically helped the Asian tigers in ASEAN. @Homo Sapiens bhai is the expert on this, he can kindly elaborate. This is the next best thing to having communism, along with some basic social safety net (healthcare, income protection, universal pensions) which Bangladesh is already planning. @jamahir bhai your comments.

I am proud of the fact that Bangladesh has made it this far on steady local industrial and commercial investments where we ourselves are not dependent on the vagaries of foreign investments which can come and go in a flash.

There are Billion of dollars of Auto Mfr. investments which have receded from Indian shores in recent years. I am sure you know about those too. These sectors (along with shipbuilding especially) are cyclical oriented which can ruin a fragile economy. Maybe India being a large country can do this, but not a smaller country like Bangladesh which does not boast the diversification that India has.

You won’t see the desperate scenes you see in India with regards to entrance exams and applications for government jobs.

India will never have a critical mass of hard core coders because their caste system drives them into management.

Every 26 year old aspires to be a manager.

A decent coder would rather become a manager of a COTS maintenance project - instead of putting the hours in to improve their coding.

Promotion and bonuses - all caste based.

Which drives the very best to leave India.

The average day rate hasn’t increased in real terms in decades.

Honestly I dunno where/whom all the foul trolling started + sustained...but if any want to become more reasonable, turn over new leaf....they can do so from their end (is what I'm saying).

I do not think this forum's reasonable members hold long term grudges.

It is not complicated process....but you are right certain folks probably just come here to troll as first and only intent....and thus you will get a fight if you go out of your way looking for one repeatedly.

I just go by what I see in particular threads I read....devoid of any earlier context.

It is sacrificial account Indian Sanghi trolls who come in here from Bharat-Rat$hit forum and start trouble by posting lies, accusatory lies at that - and then get their favors returned in kind.

There are hundreds of thousands of these malcontents in India, posting using cheap cellphones from jhupripattis. Nothing better to post with.

If they post respectfully and ask serious questions, they will get serious thoughtful answers. However most of the Indian trolls are here only to post incendiary posts and waste everyone's time (and sully the reputation of sober Indian posters as well).

Last edited:
Yes blame it on us, lol.

Modi+ economic= gdp- illegal bangladeshi,

Work hard and one day you can catch us. Just doing amaizing in IT industry will not feed your billion population as it only employs less than 5 million even after being the largest outsourcing country.

Look at your shortfalls and work on those, and stop blaming others for your shortcomings like a loser.
You guys can't even read?
What 'blame you"? Open the IMF link, stop the shameless display of lunginomics.

Covid exposed your shambolic economic model.

People chucking dead bodies from bridges.

Cutting down roadside trees to burn bodies.

Ran out of oxygen!

Allegedly poorer Bangladesh - sailed through covid with the smallest excess deaths. Rated number 5 in the world for covid management.
What exposed? Some got more infections than others, it’s more about cases more than who’s more developed, USA’s covid crisis is much worse than anywhere else, would you call them flawed as well?

Where did you study and get your brilliant intellect, I heard you have whatsapp University. Yes, we import grains like the whole of europe and Americas, so what it is to do with our GDP. No wonder why all big economists in india are from west bengal. the rest of sanghies dont get the basics... lol
America and Europe are a huge producer of grains as well, they have other high end industries adding trillions to their GDP. I did mention BD’s consumption stats of literally everything is less than India, you can keep believing what BBS serves you, this year they say BD’s GDP per capita will be more than $2800 compared to $2250 of India, if you have $550 more in per capita GDP then it should reflect in your consumption figures as well, it’s not a small amount in comparison to the absolute figures. As for WB economics, if they’re sooo good then why isn’t WB if not the best, then one of the best economies in India? While “Sanghi” Gujarat is the largest manufacturing hub of India and in future is aspiring to be a services hub of India as well.

What exposed? Some got more infections than others, it’s more about cases more than who’s more developed, USA’s covid crisis is much worse than anywhere else, would you call them flawed as well?

America and Europe are a huge producer of grains as well, they have other high end industries adding trillions to their GDP. I did mention BD’s consumption stats of literally everything is less than India, you can keep believing what BBS serves you, this year they say BD’s GDP per capita will be more than $2800 compared to $2250 of India, if you have $550 more in per capita GDP then it should reflect in your consumption figures as well, it’s not a small amount in comparison to the absolute figures. As for WB economics, if they’re sooo good then why isn’t WB if not the best, then one of the best economies in India? While “Sanghi” Gujarat is the largest manufacturing hub of India and in future is aspiring to be a services hub of India as well.
Things are cheaper in India, hence India still has 20% more in terms of PPP per capita gdp. Bangladesh will close that gap in next few years.

Regarding this years nominal per capita gdp it is mentioned base year is getting upgraded to 2015 from 2005 so many new industries are getting added which is reflected in the GDP.

You can visit Kolkata or any cities of East Indian states and Dhaka. You will see the difference in living standard easily. Some western Indian and perhaps South Indian states individually still ahead of Bangladesh which Bangladesh needs surpass in the coming years.

Back
Top Bottom