What's new

PM Imran Khan appoints Lt Gen Nadeem Raza, HI ( M) as the CJCSC

You’re not going to appoint a Joint Chief from the smaller arms at a time when half a million Indian soldiers are deployed in Kashmir.
The individual heading the CJCSC isn't as important as the actual work being done to improve integration and joint operations between the 3 forces, especially between the Air Force & the Army.

I completely failed to understand what are the job responsibilities and importance of this post till now. Army Chief is all-n-all-powerful and making decisions within the spectrum of Army operations, similarly Airforce and Naval Chief within their positions and respective limits. What are the responsibilities of CJCS? I feel that its a redundant post.

Senior Officers from other services should also be considered for the job. It seems to have become a role to please Army ranks who otherwise miss out due to extensions given to CAS.

I completely failed to understand what are the job responsibilities and importance of this post till now. Army Chief is all-n-all-powerful and making decisions within the spectrum of Army operations, similarly Airforce and Naval Chief within their positions and respective limits. What are the responsibilities of CJCS? I feel that its a redundant post.

On the surface, it appears so and is true during peacetime. However, during the war situation, this post becomes a key position because, in a combined arms campaign, CJSC is the primary 'Liason' between the Services.

I read the autobiography of Gen Schwarzkopf wherein it is mentioned that Gen Colin Powel, who as the CJSC during the first Gulf War against Saddam Hussein (Dec 1990- Feb 1991), played the crucial role for co-ordinating the three services and acting as go-between the President; official Commander in Chief of all Services and the Campaign Commander (Schwarzkopf).

One would assume that the same would apply in Pakistan as well.

On the surface, it appears so and is true during peacetime. However, during the war situation, this post becomes a key position because, in a combined arms campaign, CJSC is the primary 'Liason' between the Services.

I read the autobiography of Gen Schwarzkopf wherein it is mentioned that Gen Colin Powel, who as the CJSC during the first Gulf War against Saddam Hussein (Dec 1990- Feb 1991), played the crucial role for co-ordinating the three services and acting as go-between the President; official Commander in Chief of all Services and the Campaign Commander (Schwarzkopf).

We are not Americans. The Pentagon structure is way too different as compared to Pakistan. Their Naval Chiefs way more prominent and powers than other services. Here in Pakistan our Army is ahead of PAF and PN. Most of the decisions taken by directly Army Chief rather than other two or CJCS (that's what I assumed).

We are not Americans. The Pentagon structure is way too different as compared to Pakistan. Their Naval Chiefs way more prominent and powers than other services. Here in Pakistan our Army is ahead of PAF and PN. Most of the decisions taken by directly Army Chief rather than other two or CJCS (that's what I assumed).
oh bhai we are trained in western countries so force structure and thinking remain almost same

The CJCS has the single most important position from the standpoint of the National Command Authority. While "Jointness" in the conventional terms has taken a back seat in Pakistan on account of Army's dominance in the national security planning, in the nuclear sphere, its not the CoAS rather the JCSC, who as the principal military advisor to the Government of Pakistan, makes the final recommendations to the civilian leadership on these issues. Once there is agreement with the GoP, then via the office of the CJSC, specific orders are passed on to the units within the respective services.

As such the CJCS in Pakistan has taken up a very strategic role in the military planning of Pakistan post 1999.

The CJCS has the single most important position from the standpoint of the National Command Authority. While "Jointness" in the conventional terms has taken a back seat in Pakistan on account of Army's dominance in the national security planning, in the nuclear sphere, its not the CoAS rather the JCSC, who as the principal military advisor to the Government of Pakistan, makes the final recommendations to the civilian leadership on these issues. Once there is agreement with the GoP, then via the office of the CJSC, specific orders are passed on to the units within the respective services.

As such the CJCS in Pakistan has taken up a very strategic role in the military planning of Pakistan post 1999.
PA is 550,000+ where as PAF and PN are in thousands. No wonder COAS takes the lead.

CJCSC post has become a lollypop for Army Generals who don't end up as the Army Chief. Better to just dissolve it if we are not going to rotate it between other forces.
This "lollypop" as you mention, is a strategic command that makes decision along with PM, President, Civil command and all the chief of Staffs of their respective forces. As for "dissolving" this command post, you are suggesting to destabilize a Joint Command method which is a nucleus between all forces as well as the Government (all levels of security and defence).

This JOINT command structure has proved very effective in the COIN war fought since early 2000's as well as the security of the whole nation including the CPEC project. JSHQ itself has been instrumental in coordinating between PA, PAF and PN carrying out COIN Ops in Western Pakistan.

i think gen zubair also deserves extension if gen bajwa is given extension

You fail to understand since not much is known about JSC and JSHQ and no one talks about these establishments. It's the GHQ's and ISI's name that is taken always. CJCSC is tackling with Government departments and forces that COAS doesn't do.

isnt the appointment made by the President?
Informally, they both have to agree on the appointment.

The JSC is not only holding joint command with COAS, CAS and CNS but also looks after special commands like strategic forces command, strategic planning command (including nuclear arsenal), Intelligence agencies, Top level Technical Departments, joint services logistics as well as ISPR. On the civilian level, its connected eith PM, President offices, Ministry of Defence etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom