What's new

Please donate #Chennai Floods

And have a better drainage system in place because of that experience
I hope it helps.

I am not sure when will Indian govenement learn a lesson. Every year Mumbai gets flooded during monsoons( imagine it's our financial capital!!). Chennai and other metropolitan cities share the same sorry state of affairs. Prevention is better than cure, but hey who is interested in preventing such situations?
TN government along with young volunteers, army soldiers and IAF are doing a good job.

Last edited:
I hope it helps.

I am not sure when will Indian govenement learn a lesson. Every year Mumbai gets flooded during monsoons( imagine it's our financial capital!!). Chennai and other metropolitan states share the same sorry state of affairs. Prevention is better than cure, but hey who is interested in preventing such situations?
TN government along with young volunteers, army soldiers and IAF are doing a good job.

Haphazard building and land filling of wet lands and natural water catchment ares are at fault.. I can imagine Bombay being built on a isthmus and a number of islands can be severely effected by floods

And AMMA refused help from Karnataka, and also Kannada people, if ever we had to help with goods it is mandatory to stick AMMAS smiling picture on the goods, Any how we voluntarily helped many and brought them to vellore. The state administration is in total shambles, there is no control room established, everything is hapazard, and after the floods what cholera? Better be prepared, instead of showing arrogance the TN govt should accept help from all quarters, as our Tamil brothers and sisters are suffering. Even srilankan cricketers are donating to flood relief.

i think canal is enough for the water passage but the garbage system in chennai is not good thats the reason for more damage, more waste are blocked the flow of water that cause the water overflow and thats the reason water came to my area and because of that garbage, water cannot be drained easily after the rain. Thank god now we are safe and back to normal life and i pray for the needy people

Rain in Colombo, Sri Lanka

_DSC0081main.png

_DSC0092.png

_DSC0106.png

_DSC0108.png

_DSC0111.png

TN government along with young volunteers, army soldiers and IAF are doing a good job

Something innovative that can be implemented in disaster situations in India as well, Given it's geographical complexities ?

Private sector, aid agency tie-up in Sri Lanka for faster disaster relief | Economynext

ECONOMYNEXT – A tie-up between aid agencies and private sector companies has enabled relief to be delivered more efficiently and quickly during disasters, a humanitarian agency official said.

The linkage allows for better use of supply chains, pooling of resources and avoiding duplication, said Firzan Hashim, deputy executive director of the Consortium of Humanitarian Agencies (CHA), an association of relief agencies working in the island.

The CHA has entered into an agreement with one of the largest super market chains in the island to provide for discounts for bulk orders and free local delivery that results in very fast response at times of disasters.

Private companies are keen to support disaster relief to make use of their own expertise and fill any gap in government mechanisms, Hashim told an international disaster convention in Colombo.

Hashim recalled how in north-central Polonnaruwa, when the government agent wanted essentials for women and children there were no vehicles to go from Colombo but the local supermarket provided the items within 25 minutes of a phone call.

The tie-up between the private sector and relief agencies enables more productive use of super market chains, stockpiles and distribution, Hashim told the forum organised by MDF Asia with UNDP and the Disaster Management Centre.

Rather than individual agencies having their own stockpiles, relief agencies could make use of existing stockpiles in responding to disasters, he said.

”This is a way of optimising resources and avoiding duplication,” Hashim said.

“We work closely with the ministry of disaster management and government agents. We can identify gaps and ensure there’s no duplication.”

The private sector is responsible for 70-85 percent of global investments but studies show about a quarter businesses do not reopen after a disaster.

Crazy superstorm clouds over Sri Lanka, Yesterday afternoon.. Taken off a friends post.. o_O

11138504_10153738438750140_304284310058350333_n.jpg

12308458_10153738438760140_4066588741891690955_n.jpg

Climate change going bonkers!!!

Note: This has been in the afternoon not Evening !!!

Back
Top Bottom