What's new

PLAN's AWAC for aircraft carriers have been finished!

Probably but its not worth it to make them an AWACS for the PLAN. The radar won't have a range and combat radius comparable to the chinese version of the american awacs.
Is the J-10 going to be navalized? with the J-15 is it really needed? And it being single engined is it worth it?

Thank you for making my points clearer. Indeed, there's no point and no plan for navalizing J-10. And being single engined is just one of its weak points. I would think L-15 is a much better substitute for J-10 if PLAN is interested in a light attack/trainer role aircraft.
293_72972_e6f88094ea7459e.jpg

293_112081_03132384951ac34.jpg

293_112081_736e52099cb6bbe.jpg

293_72972_2ecefc9fbfb86e7.jpg

293_72972_ee223ec6c426ce2.jpg

Last edited:
As a fighter aircraft and a medium-sized one at that, it would have a low loiter time compared to a turboprop. Plus, you have to navalise it first. If you're gonna convert a fighter aircraft into an AWAC, the J-15 would be a better option, as it has higher loiter time and is already navalised.

I dont think so, AWACS houses much more than a radar. I mean to say if it was possible to have an fighter convertable into AWACS, US and Isreal would have pounced on this oppertunity.
1-J-10 cant fly continusly for 10+ hours like awacs can
2-The systems for data processing, communication and analytics take huge space, thats why we see most of these systems on the transport aircrafts (which have enough room)
3- AESA fitted in the cone of J-10 wont be providing 360 deg coverage.
I think you're influenced by MKI's ability to work as "mini awacs" (if it would be then IAF would nt have gone for Phalcons as it has 200+ "mini awacs"):coffee:

Thank you for making my points clearer. Indeed, there's no point and no plan for navalizing J-10. And being single engined is just one of its weak points. I would think L-15 is a much better substitute for J-10 if PLAN is interested in a light attack/trainer role aircraft.
For landbased trainers it would make sense. You'd have to navalize the aircraft first, wouldn't take that long though. But the L-15 would be pretty useless on an actual aircraft carrier, in my opinion. It doesn't have the range, armament or the capabilities of the J-15.
When does China plan on starting construction of its new class of carriers?

That's why you have aerial refuelling. Although it's not as convenient as having a massive fuel tank, the method is decent. A large AWAC aircraft would take up a lot of space and it's pretty much screwed if it comes into contact with enemy fighters. It also forces the aircraft carrier to carry three types of aircraft: (1) air defense fighters J-10C, (2) strike fighters J-15, and (3) the AWAC.

If you can convert a J-10S or J-10C into an AWAC, you can have multiple roles for one plane, thus increasing the flexibility of the carrier planes.

But why rely on aerial refueling when you've already got a navalized plane that's less dependent on it in the J-15?

I don't think j-15 can act as an AEWAC rather it may can act as AEW and share information with other aircrafts and ground radars because for AEWAC configuration lot of room and space is required where you can house a large number of equipment

It obviously won't be nearly as capable, but if you can't launch a decent one without catapults, then a J-15 with some EW pods may be the best option available.

For landbased trainers it would make sense. You'd have to navalize the aircraft first, wouldn't take that long though. But the L-15 would be pretty useless on an actual aircraft carrier, in my opinion. It doesn't have the range, armament or the capabilities of the J-15.

But they're much smaller and you can carry many more of them. They can host PESA radars and launch SD-10's, so that's a desirable capability in itself.

L-15 was designed as a trainer. All I am trying to say here is that IF PLAN needs a dedicated trainer on a plane, L-15 would be a much better option than J-10 (Less modification in terms of air intake. etc , more reliability due to the 2 engines ). Plus, J-15 was never intended to be used as a trainer, u have to keep in mind that it's much bulkier than L-15 :cheers:
Wat do u mean by a "New class of Aircraft carrier"? U mean a AC that looks completly different than Varyag? Or just a AC that will be produced after Varyag?

Last edited:
But why rely on aerial refueling when you've already got a navalized plane that's less dependent on it in the J-15?

It obviously won't be nearly as capable, but if you can't launch a decent one without catapults, then a J-15 with some EW pods may be the best option available.

But they're much smaller and you can carry many more of them. They can host PESA radars and launch SD-10's, so that's a desirable capability in itself.

Correction, not SD-10, but PL-12:smokin::cheers:
SD-10 was never in PLAAF service because it's for export only

L-15 was designed as a trainer. All I am trying to say here is that IF PLAN needs a dedicated trainer on a plane, L-15 would be a much better option than J-10 (Less modification in terms of air intake. etc , more reliability due to the 2 engines ). Plus, J-15 was never intended to be used as a trainer, u have to keep in mind that it's much bulkier than L-15 :cheers:
Wat do u mean by a "New class of Aircraft carrier"? U mean a AC that looks completly different than Varyag? Or just a AC that will be produced after Varyag?

L-15 will also need upgrades for navalization, if its a training aircraft, then its not necessary that it will need not to be navalized. of course it will have to be modified but PLAN can have some intermediate aircraft like JL-9 (or FTC-2000) for basic and dedicate some J-15s or SU-33s for advanced traning. L-15 will only bring new maintainence and infrastructure headache

Well any carrier that is produced after the Varyag would be considered a new class. China doesn't have the blue prints to the Varyag, unless I'm mistaken. Also will the Varyag be made combat ready? I thought when it was bought from Ukraine that the agreement was that it wouldn't be made combat ready?

Well any carrier that is produced after the Varyag would be considered a new class. China doesn't have the blue prints to the Varyag, unless I'm mistaken. Also will the Varyag be made combat ready? I thought when it was bought from Ukraine that the agreement was that it wouldn't be made combat ready?

U sure PLAN doesn't have the schematics to Varyag and won't build another one?:azn:
10112809542868824dc6ff582d.jpg

- from Dalian shipbuilding yard
1011280958536ba14553a2e53e.jpg

- from Varyag
Also, how come u are so sure that Varyag is not going to be made combat ready? I don't think PLAN is dumb enough to put all the radars/electrical equipments, HQ-10s, anti-sub rocket, and type-730 CIWS on a "training ship":cheers:

L-15 will also need upgrades for navalization, if its a training aircraft, then its not necessary that it will need not to be navalized. of course it will have to be modified but PLAN can have some intermediate aircraft like JL-9 (or FTC-2000) for basic and dedicate some J-15s or SU-33s for advanced traning. L-15 will only bring new maintainence and infrastructure headache

Why would it be easier to use the JL-9?

China does have the blueprint, but I don't think they'll follow the Varyag's design. Also, I'm not sure if such an agreement exists, but I'm pretty sure that nobody really cares.

True, I just don't like the idea of having a trainer that's based on J-7 on Varyag. I admit, I was 2 greedy:sick:

True, I just don't like the idea of having a trainer that's based on J-7 on Varyag. I admit, I was 2 greedy:sick:

not necessarily on varyag. PLAN can certainly save some space on varyag for precious J-15s or Su-33 by employing this
Su-27-series-aircraft-in-the-land-sliding-Yanliang-flight-deck-jump.jpg

Why would it be easier to use the JL-9?
here i am talking about basic traning for which both baseline or upgraded Jl-8 or 9 will do the job equally effective as L-15. PLAN can use some J-15s for advanced systems training. its a more cost effective solution than using high end ACs for both intermediate and advanced trainings

ehh...u think any J-10 series fighters can pump enough juice for the operation of a AESA radar?
THIS IS THE BIGGEST CHALLENGE!

The J-10B already has AESA installed or at least is waiting for it to be installed.

The J-10B already has AESA installed or at least is waiting for it to be installed.
YES, but that AESA is no where near the capability of a airborn AWAC's radar. That's just no way u can use J-10 as a AWAC plane

Back
Top Bottom