What's new

PK maybe abandon FC31 and develop JF20 single-shot stealth fighter with Chengdu

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had mentioned a few years ago that three different designs from Chengdu and Shenyang were available for consideration as a 5th generation jet.
So is it possible that these models were prepared with PAF input ? And they might be turned into block 4 of JF thunder ?

If it's design jointly then how it's indigenous development as claim by many members?
978348f21a36e401a6b777c2edbc76bb--ems-humor-work-humor.jpg

I had mentioned a few years ago that three different designs from Chengdu and Shenyang were available for consideration as a 5th generation jet.
This looks like JF-17 receiving Silent Eagle treatment.

IMHO, PAF should consider joining Turkish TF-X project.

But how can jet like JF-17 remain stealthy while carrying missile on hardpoints? there is no space to put missile inside bays....

J-31 has been rejected by Air Force way back. News is true we are going for J-20 but it would take few years before that comes. Meanwhile other options are under consideration
It says jf-20 I believe that's different then the Chinese j-20.

I would take this with bit of salt
Thunder is already a small bird with its design limitations
It would be easier to deploy a new platform as can you design according to that rather than trying to push a older design.
With internal bays thunders attack capability will be limited
Other issue being single engine that has its own limitations as well as for now chinese engines are not par with western ones in terms of capabilities .

Pakistan should keep upgrading thunder series for internal needs as well as international market to keep its aviation industry active.
If Pakistan has already started work majority of systems will be based on thunder block 3 , j10c and j20 and stealth needs mixture systems and design working together so its not just systems which make a platform fully stealthy.

The images shown are of fan-made models. PAC told me at IDEAS that Azm was still in the "design consideration" phase though.
Concepts existed at CAC years before but the idea that it may end up being a logical evolution of the JF-17 rather than something entirely new might still be plausible.

So is it possible that these models were prepared with PAF input ? And they might be turned into block 4 of JF thunder ?
No. I think these are just either fan made or concepts.. as i said, model "authenticity" is a little suspect.

Concepts existed at CAC years before but the idea that it may end up being a logical evolution of the JF-17 rather than something entirely new might still be plausible.

No. I think these are just either fan made or concepts.. as i said, model "authenticity" is a little suspect.

A variant of this pic made the rounds earlier in some Chinese forums I believe.

Thought to be fanboy made at that time.

It wouldn't be surprising. The PAF has to live with the reality that it'll be fiscally constrained for the foreseeable future, so a design loaded with many experimental concepts isn't a good idea. Even the ROKAF opted for a conservative approach with its KF-X, so the PAF aiming for something like that is sensible (esp. from the standpoint of supplanting the JF-17 as a backbone).

However, if this ends up being the approach, then is there also room for an off-the-shelf FC-31 or TF-X purchase (to supplant the older F-16s?)

is there any.possibility that CAC and PAC co develop a single engine stealthy design for both PAF and PLAAF?

Can you tell me which countries are developing lightweight stealth fighters?
And how can the lightweight fighter take enough missiles and bombs inside?
You must know that F-35 is close to a heavy-weight fighter aircraft.
If China allows Pak to use its WS15 engine being developed for J20, then Pak can use a single engine design for Azm. According to Wikipedia the thrust of the WS15 engine is stated to be 180kN. This is enough thrust for a single engine fighter to be able to carry a decent payload in its internal bays.

If China doesn't allow export of WS15...then the next best option would be the WS10G with 155kN thrust. Although it's much lower than WS15 thrust, it's still good enough to power a medium sized fighter jet.

If PAF does decide to go with a single engine design, I think the aim would be to follow a F15/F16 like strategy. Where Azm as a single engine and cheaper fighter can be added to make up numbers...
...while either J20(depending on export policy) or J31(if it matures) or TFX as twin engine high end fighters will complement the Azm fighter jets.

If this does happen then Azm would probably be successful as an export as well since there wouldn't be any single engine 5th gen fighters except for F35, which is costly and not as easily available to all nations. Turkey would be most likely to place an order to phase out its F16s with Azm and do the high/low thing with its TFX.

It's all dependent on the goals PAF has in mind and what engines are available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom