What's new

PK Halder arrested in India, staying with fake name Shibshankar Halder posing as Indian Citizen

Return him to Bangladesh and declare all his property (directly or held via trusts) as items of theft. Liquidate it by open auctioning and give the proceeds to Bangladesh.

A Bangladeshi with Indian citizenship papers, voter id card and Aadhar card. Shocking!
Equally important that India find all those in various Indian depts (Central and State) and prosecute them. Acquiring such identity requires state / local verification plus central process.

As if his accent would be the same as that of WB, the moment he’ll open his mouth he’ll give away he’s from BD maybe why he got arrested so quickly.
Spot on.

Indian politicians and media love crying about mass illegal economic migration from BD but cannot produce one person.
The only illegal Bangladeshis in India are:
1. Criminals like PK Haldar who are fleeing prosecution. Back in the days CPM in WB used to actively shelter our criminals. Don't know about TNC but won't be surprised to find out they do the same.
2. Smugglers crossing over to buy and smuggle in Indian goods.
3. Fisherman arrested upon straying into Indian waters, mostly due to lack of awareness.
4. Girls smuggled in by traffickers

All up, they number no more than a few thousands.
The economic opportunities in India are not worth it for Bangladeshis given the availabile opportunities here and the hassle of living illegally anywhere.
Indian Bengalis must rise against this sustained xenophobic effort to mislabel them as Bangladeshis.

Last edited:
OK, go ahead. I'm going to shower and go out, and ignore this thread.

Nothing shocking. BD origin people have made it to Presidency in India.
And so?

আমার বাপের পয়সা-এ গিয়ে পড়েছিলাম , তাতে অন্যদের বুকে জ্বালা কেন ?

And so?

আমার বাপের পয়সা-এ গিয়ে পড়েছিলাম , তাতে অন্যদের বুকে জ্বালা কেন ?
আপনি প্রেসিডেন্সি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়ের কথা বলছেন? আমি বলছিলাম রাষ্ট্র প্রাধান্যের (actual presidency) কথা ----> প্রণব মুখোপাধ্যায়

Last edited:
আপনি প্রেসিডেন্সি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়ের কথা বলছেন? আমি বলছিলাম রাষ্ট্র প্রাধান্যের (actual presidency) কথা ----> প্রণব মুখোপাধ্যায়
ঝেড়ে কাসবেতো, বাবা আমার। আমি ওই কথাগুলি ব্যক্তিগত ব্যঙ্গ ভেবে বড় চোট খেয়েছিলাম। প্রেসিডেন্সি-তে পড়া-শুনা করা বাঙালির সংখ্যা এই জোট-এ বেশি নেই কিনা। .... আর যতদূর জানতাম প্রণব বাবু কিন্তু ঘটি। বাঙালি বটে কিন্তু বীরভূম জিলা'র বাসিন্দা।

ঝেড়ে কাসবেতো, বাবা আমার। আমি ওই কথাগুলি ব্যক্তিগত ব্যঙ্গ ভেবে বড় চোট খেয়েছিলাম। প্রেসিডেন্সি-তে পড়া-শুনা করা বাঙালির সংখ্যা এই জোট-এ বেশি নেই কিনা। .... আর যতদূর জানতাম প্রণব বাবু কিন্তু ঘটি। বাঙালি বটে কিন্তু বীরভূম জিলা'র বাসিন্দা।
Looks like I was conflating history. His wife has Bangladeshi roots, he does not (or none that I could trace).
I got misled by my selective recollection of his below statement. It appears to me now that he was simply trying to be reconciliatory.
"For me personally, this is an emotional journey. I have my roots in the soil of Bengal, and have imbibed its language, traditions and culture. My wife was born in Narail and started her education here. I have grown up reading the compositions of the same poets as you, listening to the same songs which both our people love and walked along the banks of the same rivers which inspire the songs that make us all similarly wistful. When I was a child I never dreamt that one day I would come here as the President of my country."

As if his accent would be the same as that of WB, the moment he’ll open his mouth he’ll give away he’s from BD maybe why he got arrested so quickly.
Actually the accent of Bengalis from certain parts of West Bengal, Assam, Tripura might have similarities with Bangladeshi accent.
There are two broad groups inside India : Ghoti(west bengal ancestry) and Bangal(east bengal or bangladeshi ancestry), Bangals from these regions might very well have similar accents though keen observers might still discern the differences between Indian Bangals and Bangladeshis.

Actually the accent of Bengalis from certain parts of West Bengal, Assam, Tripura might have similarities with Bangladeshi accent.
There are two broad groups inside India : Ghoti(west bengal ancestry) and Bangal(east bengal or bangladeshi ancestry), Bangals from these regions might very well have similar accents though keen observers might still discern the differences between Indian Bangals and Bangladeshis.
Please do not belittle Assam by saying such things.
Assam is its own universe inhabited by an out-of-the-world superior race of people. Bangladesh and India are mere satellites in the Assamese universe.
Now, please excuse me: I must attend my pole vaulting training session on time.

Last edited:
Please do not belittle Assam by saying such things.
Assam is its own universe inhabited by an out-of-the-world superior race of people. Bangladesh and India are mere sattelites in the Assamese universe.
Now please excuse me: I must attend my polevaulting training session on time.
How is India involved?

Now YOU don't start.

Great!

Look what you've started, @Jackdaws .

There will be an Amit Shah coming out of the woodwork everywhere.

ভেতো বাঙালি, যাবেটা কই ?

And you know all about Bengali accents.

Bangladeshis share a language with West Bengal in the same way that Canada and US share English.

US has evolved its own version of English and I never see any yank apologising for their mangled version.

Ditto India too has its version of English - which is extremely hilarious and confuses the hell out of me!

It annoys me when some Bangladeshis try to speak in a Kolkata accent out of embarrassment!

Bangladeshis! Be proud of your version of Bangla as US is of its version of English.

Of course being a Sylheti, who is now fully British, I don’t give a toss about Bangla. I occasionally speak Sylheti to elderly relatives.

I could never relax with Tagore (too many loud twangs for my subtle ear) playing in the background. The way I can with European classical music.

No offence! To each his upbringing!

Live, let live and respect.

Bangladeshis share a language with West Bengal in the same way that Canada and US share English.

US has evolved its own version of English and I never see any yank apologising for their mangled version.

Ditto India too has its version of English - which is extremely hilarious and confuses the hell out of me!

It annoys me when some Bangladeshis try to speak in a Kolkata accent out of embarrassment!

Bangladeshis! Be proud of your version of Bangla as US is of its version of English.

Of course being a Sylheti, who is now fully British, I don’t give a toss about Bangla. I occasionally speak Sylheti to elderly relatives.

I could never relax with Tagore (too many loud twangs for my subtle ear) playing in the background. The way I can with European classical music.

No offence! To each his upbringing!

Live, let live and respect.
I have never heard a Bangladeshi speak in a Kolkata dialect (except when doing an impression of a WB Bengali).
Please do not confuse Bangladeshi shuddho Bangla (aka Bangladeshi news presenter Bangla) with Kolkata dialect.
If you are a multi-generation Brit of Sylheti origin, I must warn you that there is much more to Bangladeshi culture than what older generation Sylhetis migrants to UK who migrated decades ago would make you believe. They (especially the less educated segment among them) live in an imaginary bubble where Sylhet is a planet on its own with its own unique language - a trait they have acquired from their Assamese cousins on the other side of the fence. I won't be surprised to learn that older gen Sylhetis told you that shuddho Bangla = Kolkata dialect.

Bangla has dozens of dialects, Sylheti and Kolkata dialects are only two of them.
Suggest mingling with more non-Sylheti Bengalis (doesn't matter from which district or country; just not Sylhetis) if you are not doing so already. It will be a massive eye opener for you.

Last edited:
If you are a multi-generation Brit of Sylheti origin, I must warn you that there is much more to Bangladeshi culture than what older generation Sylhetis migrants to UK who migrated decades ago would make you believe. They (especially the less educated segment among them) live in an imaginary bubble where Sylhet is a planet on its own with its own unique language - a trait they have acquired from their Assamese cousins on the other side of the fence. I won't be surprised to learn that older gen Sylhetis told you that shuddho Bangla = Kolkata dialect.
Bangla has dozens of dialects, Sylheti and Kolkata dialects are only two of them.
Suggest mingling with more non-Sylheti Bengalis (doesn't matter from which district or country; just not Sylhetis) if you are not doing so already. It will be a massive eye opener for you.

I grew up in a part of England that has hardly any ethnic minorities let alone sylhetis.

My family members have married outside sylhet and I travel extensively when I am in BD.

Save your patronising drivel for someone else!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom