What's new

Philosophy of Atheism

Anyone ?

Is Atheism anti-thesis of Theism ? Does Atheism comprise of its own philosophy ? Is Atheism equivalent to Hedonism ? Atheism supports various sub-groups ?

Is Atheism Materialism ?

This is what , One of the Ancient Atheist schools have to say :

Being positivistic Cārvāka claims that perception or pratyaksa is the only means of valid knowledge. Therefore, only what is perceivable is the object of knowledge for Cārvāka. Whatever is not perceivable is rejected as a figment of our imagination.

Since there is no entity called ‘soul’ as distinct from the body, as given in perception, there is no place for such an entity in this system.

There is no life-breath or consciousness in the minute particles (kana) of matter, which are the basic constituents of matter, when they are in a disjoined state.At that time, they remain in a lifeless and Carvaka insentient state.However, due to that very peculiar and mutual combination or mixture of these elements, there appears life-breath and consciousness. Thus what we call soul is nothing but the conscious body. In other words, consciousness or mind is an epi-phenomenon, a by-product of matter. Such a by-product is possible because qualities not possessed by the elements individually, may arise in the aggregate constituted of them.

Turn to Light before SATAN takes over - Refrain from such comments :D

Is Modern day Atheism just like Theism ?
Atheists deny God just like Theists believe in God :oops:

@nair @proud_indian @Roybot @jbgt90 @Sergi @Water Car Engineer @dadeechi @kurup @Rain Man @kaykay @Abingdonboy @SR-91 @nang2 @fsayed @anant_s @Joe Shearer @Tshering22 @Dandpatta @danger007 @Didact @Soumitra @SrNair
@TejasMk3
@jbgt90 @ranjeet @4GTejasBVR @The_Showstopper @guest11 @PARIKRAMA @egodoc222 @DesiGuy1403 @Nilgiri @SarthakGanguly @Omega007 @GURU DUTT @HariPrasad @JanjaWeed @litefire @AMCA @Perpendicular @MilSpec @Spectre @Windjammer @Horus @GURU DUTT @litefire @AMCA @Perpendicular @abcxyz0000
@MilSpec @Spectre
@Ryuzaki @CorporateAffairs @Zibago @Srinivas
@GR!FF!N @migflug @Levina @randomradio @Guynextdoor2 @2800 @calmDown@all @zebra7

@Chinese Bamboo @Chinese-Dragon @Godman @Gibbs

@Windjammer @Horus @Arsalan

Didn't we already talk about this in depth in another thread?

Atheism does not preclude/include any philosophical belief necessarily nor does it have to be equivalent with anything else. It intersects with various things and has its own non-unified flavours. You can even be theist and atheist at different levels (i.e believe in local spirits/forces higher than us, but firmly believe there is no great overall power controlling everything etc...)

You are right that core "orthodox" atheism does require strong faith in there being no ultimate independent power (defined in some way).....which makes it have similar thread to theism as far as faith is concerned without absolute truth-seeking and coherent rigorous logic (which is what I feel represents the middle ground which I follow and which can be described as agnosticism as it does not preclude anything).

The Nasadiya sukta in Rig Veda summarises truth seeking, agnostic thought the best. The portion of the upanishads that dealt with this are what influenced carvaka, buddhism and many other schools of Dharmic thought.

The only thing we can be absolutely sure of is...is that we (and everything around us generally) exists in some fashion....and that we will cease to exist in this fashion at some time.

I don't have a religion and I am not an atheist but I believe in a higher power.
Western atheists in my view are one of the most racist people alive,They constantly talk about religion more than religious nutjobs than themselves.They rationalize with science to promote their right wing agenda. New atheists philosophy is a bastardization of real atheism.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom