Philippines ramps up military spending in face of China threat

VALKRYIE

Reaction score
Country
Canada
08-july-2015-raul-del-rosario-inset.jpg

By Manuel Mogato, Reuters

Updated 02:53 AM PHT Wed, July 8, 2015

Maj. Gen. Raul del Rosario (inset) says the ambitious modernization plan started in 2013.

Manila (Reuters) - The Philippines plans to ramp up military spending over the next 13 years, earmarking more than $20 billion to modernise its forces in the face of Beijing's maritime ambitions in the disputed South China Sea, a top Air Force official told Reuters.

Maj. Gen. Raul del Rosario, military chief of plans, said the blueprint includes installing radars and sensors, and buying equipment such as submarines, frigates, fighters, surveillance planes and missile systems.

"By the time we complete this plan, we will have complete coverage of the South China Sea," said Del Rosario, a former fighter pilot, showing the military's detailed plan that was approved on Friday.

"We will have 24/7 awareness of what is happening in the disputed area and we'll be able to respond quicker to any contingency in our own exclusive economic zone."

He said the ambitious plan was initiated in 2013, but top brass had only approved overall spending of P998 billion ($22.11 billion) last week.

Del Rosario said P83 billion had been earmarked for the first five years, P444 billion for the second five years and P471 billion for the last five years.

In 1995, Congress had earmarked 364 billion pesos for a similar 15-year plan. Less than one-tenth of that sum was actually spent by 2010.

The modernization program is designed to strengthen Manila's claims in the South China Sea, believed to be rich in energy deposits.

China has become increasingly assertive in the South China Sea, building artificial islands in areas over which the Philippines and other countries have rival claims. The moves have sparked alarm regionally and in Washington.

Submarines, missiles and surveillance planes

President Benigno Aquino III has promised the military about P34 billion this year, which will fund the purchase of two frigates and a twin-engine long range maritime aircraft.

So far, the government has given the military P9.4 billion in 2014. This has been used to purchase eight combat utility helicopters and as a down payment for 12 FA50 fighter-trainers from South Korea. Two of the aircraft are expected in 2016.

Del Rosario said that between 2018 and 2023 the Philippines would buy electric-diesel submarines and advanced missile systems.

Three aerial surveillance radars with a range of 350 nautical miles will also be installed in Ilocos Norte, Lubang Island, and Mount Salacot in Palawan, all facing the South China Sea to detect movements in the disputed area.

These will complement the navy's two surface sensors capable of detecting ship activities 200 miles away. Three surveillance planes will also be on constant patrol in the area.

"We do not aim to defeat China," Del Rosario said. "But our goal is make any state think twice before attacking. We will make sure anybody attacking us would end up with a bloodied nose."

Philippines ramps up military spending in face of China threat - CNN Philippines

Increase of spending will always be good for the country as they really need it (better keep monitor those contract to prevent crooks from getting the money into their own pocket).
China might be an excuse for them to ask for more money. In next 13 years, China force will be a lot bigger than the current one.
The Philippines plans to ramp up military spending over the next 13 years, earmarking more than $20 billion to modernise its forces in the face of Beijing's maritime ambitions in the disputed South China Sea, a top Air Force official told Reuters.

Increase of spending will always be good for the country as they really need it (better keep monitor those contract to prevent crooks from getting the money into their own pocket).
China might be an excuse for them to ask for more money. In next 13 years, China force will be a lot bigger than the current one.

Its a responsible development for them. Theirs is purely defensive acquisition and not offensive in nature. Besides, I think they are trying to maintain their defense expenditure at less than 1.5% of their national GDP. Manila should focus their resources on auxiliary development, transportation infrastructure, medical infrastructure and disaster preparation --- more practical terms.

Its a responsible development for them. Theirs is purely defensive acquisition and not offensive in nature. Besides, I think they are trying to maintain their defense expenditure at less than 1.5% of their national GDP. Manila should focus their resources on auxiliary development, transportation infrastructure, medical infrastructure and disaster preparation --- more practical terms.

I don't understand why some Chinese and Malaysians here are making a fuzz about our defense issues, as if they want us to be in-sufficiently armed in all aspect - defense, disaster response and auxiliary equipments.

I suspect some "other" agenda since most Malaysians and Chinese members have already shown it.

Last edited:
I don't understand why some Chinese and Malaysians here are making a fuzz about our defense issues, as if they want us to be in sufficiently armed in all aspect - defense, disaster response and auxiliary equipments.

I suspect some "other" agenda since most Malaysians and Chinese members have already shown it.

Hmm, i don't know, and i won't pretend to know the Malaysian's agenda. Tho IF i were you, I'd look to get the input of a Malay Malaysian. They tend to have a unique perspective. Talk to some of the Indonesian members here , their point of view is probably as close as you can get to the Mala Malaysian perspective.

Try talking to @Indos @Bhayangkara @madokafc , @NarThoD @initial_d @Jakartans@PkDef @Reashot Xigwin . They're good folks, filled with a lot of information on the region; and very level headed.

Yes, its for the next 20 years. That means each year the Philippines will purchase about $1.5 Billion worth in new military inventory. Not including maintenance cost. That's an ideal acquisition plan for them. Remember, $20 Billion is substantial for the Philippines, a country with a GDP of $270 Billion. Gradual modernization is their ideal, and rightly so. Their country should put more emphasis on national development: health infrastructure, transportation infrastructure, education systems, social security programs, disaster management funds.

Aside from the territorial disputes in the SCS, the Philippines really has no threats from abroad. They should focus their energy on developing their home turf first and foremost.

It's time for Phillipines to go nuclear...

50 KFX/IFX for Philippine ......... :smokin:

image109-e1415207611752.jpg

KFX, Radar, and SAM

2024 above is a critical time for Philippine as USA will loose much of its power in this region due to its economic condition and China will become much more powerful than Today.

Last edited:
:dance3:i think you overreacted.
That's why i said you guys decided to increase the military budget is good for your country, considered that the current asset of PH is ______ (fill in yourself), although Malaysia is not a lot better than you.

Also, i also point out that these is a lot money especially for poorer country, you better keep monitoring those person in charge of those spending. If you look at the history (we might just focus on our region), a lot of military spending has been stolen by certain group of people.

Based on the experience in forum, you also prejudiced against people from those two countries from what happened in SCS last few years.... :whistle:

I don't understand why some Chinese and Malaysians here are making a fuzz about our defense issues, as if they want us to be in sufficiently armed in all aspect - defense, disaster response and auxiliary equipments.

I know they will say i have agenda behind the issue.
Back to topic:
External threat - they can solve it by going to negotiating table with China. Unless they don't want to do so in order to get some support from external parties which is OK (because it fit their agenda).
Internal threat (various armed rebel groups) - this is the real threat to their own people; if they want to say Malaysia armed those rebels, they need to proof (or simply bring it to UN). It is even easier to counter Malaysia than the giant panda.

Yes, its for the next 20 years. That means each year the Philippines will purchase about $1.5 Billion worth in new military inventory. Not including maintenance cost. That's an ideal acquisition plan for them. Remember, $20 Billion is substantial for the Philippines, a country with a GDP of $270 Billion. Gradual modernization is their ideal, and rightly so. Their country should put more emphasis on national development: health infrastructure, transportation infrastructure, education systems, social security programs, disaster management funds.

Aside from the territorial disputes in the SCS, the Philippines really has no threats from abroad. They should focus their energy on developing their home turf first and foremost.

For us indonesian, stronger phillipines is good news for the good and peaceful region, i dont know what the malaysian is up to in their mind.

For us indonesian, stronger phillipines is good news for the good and peaceful region, i dont know what the malaysian is up to in their mind.

That's what I was thinking and leaning towards, buddy. Indonesia Raya and Pilipinas are , in my honest opinion, true Austronesian States and are the largest (in terms of population) in the Malay Archipelago since Indonesia Raya is gargantuan with over 256 million, and Pilipinas already over 105 million ! Combined, they are already over 360 million! Okay that is almost a quarter the population of Europe ! Or more than the population of USA and Canada Combined. The reason why I emphasize Philippines and Indonesia is because both countries are true republican, participatory democracies in Southeast Asia, both have experimented with dictatorships in the past during the formative years (infancy years) of their republics, and after the threat of communism has waned , both now have assumed a democratic process. The Indonesians are superior in the fact that they have a more robust democratic process, tho the philippines are not too far behind. Indonesia is leading example because of the austerity measures implemented by President Jokowi Widodo , sacking politicians and high ranking officers associated with corruption; the Philippines can do well to follow in Indonesia's example.

Both Indonesia and Philippines are natural partners, really. As I said before both share a common bond of their being of strong and proud Austronesian Cultural Heritage, both belong to literally the 2nd largest ethnic group in the world (Austronesians of Malay Archipelago number almost 400 million). So both have incredible man power , wealth of human capital, an educated work force, a healthy and growing population, abundant natural resources, and both are growing economically.

Ideally , i see , in the future, Indonesia Raya and Pilipinas forming a military bloc amongst themselves. Whether or not Malaysia will be included , i don't know. For all i know, Pilipinas and Indonesia have no border issues anymore as both had border demarcation recently and quite frankly that's an impressive success for 2 countries in ASEAN.

50 KFX/IFX for Philippine ......... :smokin:

image109-e1415207611752.jpg

KFX, Radar, and SAM

2024 above is a critical time for Philippine as USA will loose much of its power in this region due to its economic condition and China will become much more powerful than Today.

Sounds like a logical long term solution. I mean, the Philippines have already selected South Korea's FA-50 Eagles as their preliminary primary fighter. So going into the KFX project seems logical.

I know they will say i have agenda behind the issue.
Back to topic:
External threat - they can solve it by going to negotiating table with China. Unless they don't want to do so in order to get some support from external parties which is OK (because it fit their agenda).
Internal threat (various armed rebel groups) - this is the real threat to their own people; if they want to say Malaysia armed those rebels, they need to proof (or simply bring it to UN). It is even easier to counter Malaysia than the giant panda.

Well , Malaysia really has gained the ire of Indonesia with the Sipadan - Ligatan and the Ambalat Disputes. To be honest, Malaysia has gained the ire of the Philippines as well since Malaysia indirectly armed the MNLF / MILF leader Nur Misuari in the 1960s, 1970s. So there is a distrust in the Philippine side on Malaysian involvement. As for Indonesia, in Borneo there is a separatist movement known as the Kalimantan Borneo Liberation Front, which has been linked to Malaysia funding and arms funding.

The relations with Malaysia in Thailand also isn't that great and relations have been strained with Malaysia's inability to help enforce Thai border law in the southern provinces of Pattani and Nakhon Si Thamarat, where Rebels in those regions regularly evade Thai law enforcement by merely escaping to Malaysia's State of Telengganu, Pahang , Perlis or Kedah.

That's what I was thinking and leaning towards, buddy. Indonesia Raya and Pilipinas are , in my honest opinion, true Austronesian States and are the largest (in terms of population) in the Malay Archipelago since Indonesia Raya is gargantuan with over 256 million, and Pilipinas already over 105 million ! Combined, they are already over 360 million! Okay that is almost a quarter the population of Europe ! Or more than the population of USA and Canada Combined. The reason why I emphasize Philippines and Indonesia is because both countries are true republican, participatory democracies in Southeast Asia, both have experimented with dictatorships in the past during the formative years (infancy years) of their republics, and after the threat of communism has waned , both now have assumed a democratic process. The Indonesians are superior in the fact that they have a more robust democratic process, tho the philippines are not too far behind. Indonesia is leading example because of the austerity measures implemented by President Jokowi Widodo , sacking politicians and high ranking officers associated with corruption; the Philippines can do well to follow in Indonesia's example.

Both Indonesia and Philippines are natural partners, really. As I said before both share a common bond of their being of strong and proud Austronesian Cultural Heritage, both belong to literally the 2nd largest ethnic group in the world (Austronesians of Malay Archipelago number almost 400 million). So both have incredible man power , wealth of human capital, an educated work force, a healthy and growing population, abundant natural resources, and both are growing economically.

Ideally , i see , in the future, Indonesia Raya and Pilipinas forming a military bloc amongst themselves. Whether or not Malaysia will be included , i don't know. For all i know, Pilipinas and Indonesia have no border issues anymore as both had border demarcation recently and quite frankly that's an impressive success for 2 countries in ASEAN.

Sounds like a logical long term solution. I mean, the Philippines have already selected South Korea's FA-50 Eagles as their preliminary primary fighter. So going into the KFX project seems logical.

Well , Malaysia really has gained the ire of Indonesia with the Sipadan - Ligatan and the Ambalat Disputes. To be honest, Malaysia has gained the ire of the Philippines as well since Malaysia indirectly armed the MNLF / MILF leader Nur Misuari in the 1960s, 1970s. So there is a distrust in the Philippine side on Malaysian involvement. As for Indonesia, in Borneo there is a separatist movement known as the Kalimantan Borneo Liberation Front, which has been linked to Malaysia funding and arms funding.

The relations with Malaysia in Thailand also isn't that great and relations have been strained with Malaysia's inability to help enforce Thai border law in the southern provinces of Pattani and Nakhon Si Thamarat, where Rebels in those regions regularly evade Thai law enforcement by merely escaping to Malaysia's State of Telengganu, Pahang , Perlis or Kedah.

Correction the FA50 is interm Fighter we have not selected the next MRF for the Philippine Airforce please ignore the Anti filipino Malaysian the guy has bit of god complex but the "am better than you" kind

I think phillipino need somekind of crash program on figther jet, i suggest leasing grippen or purchasing used F-16 block 52 or israely used F-16 ACE, rather than purchasing brand new fighter that will come in the next 5 year at the sooner

Back
Top Bottom