Petraeus’ next war: Pakistan

fatman17

PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Petraeus’ next war: Pakistan

By: Robert Haddick | Published: July 17, 2011

US-Pakistani relations, under redoubled strain after the May raid on Osama bin Laden’s Abbottabad compound, are only getting worse. This week, the Obama administration announced it would withhold $800 million in military aid to Pakistan, more than a third of Washington’s annual allotment. The proximate cause of this reprimand was the alleged betrayal by Pakistani officials of plans to attack Afghan Taliban bomb-making sites inside Pakistan.

Meanwhile, the security outlook in Pakistan’s tribal areas bordering Afghanistan has darkened. In retaliation for the blocked US aid, Pakistan’s defence minister threatened to withdraw some of his soldiers from the badlands, including over 1,100 border checkpoints. This would come on top of a previous decision to throw out over 100 US Special Forces soldiers who had been training the Frontier Corps.

The decision to finally impose a penalty on Islamabad for the alleged duplicity of some of its officials will no doubt further worsen the relationship in the short-run. Policymakers in Washington will have to assess whether the relationship is a viable candidate for a “reset.”

If not, the United States will have to tally up its options for expanded unilateral action against militants in the region. If it comes to that, President Barack Obama will undoubtedly turn to his incoming CIA director Gen David Petraeus to implement more quasi-military operations.

The CIA has had a covert presence in Pakistan for decades, a presence that has taken on a wide variety of forms as circumstances have changed. A continued downward spiral in the US-Pakistani relationship will cause the covert CIA presence to evolve again, or at least intensify in its present form. As a marker of what may be to come, the night of May 11 witnessed one of the heaviest drone bombardments of Pakistan, with four separate strikes killing over 50 people.

Petraeus will shed his Army uniform before he reports for work in Langley. But he will still be a battlefield commander, in charge of a robotic air force and a small army of US and Afghan paramilitaries, many of whom are former special operations soldiers. Under US law, Petraeus’ campaign in Pakistan will be a civilian-led covert action, authorised under Title 50 of the United State Code. To Pakistan, it will look a lot like war.

The arrogance that accompanies this U.S. aid to us angers me the most.
Also, this article is quite worrying. I feel powerless reading this.

Are we indeed not able to stop covert operations by the CIA? (ignoring the drone attacks)?
This goes for now and in the near future.

Why should fighting terrorist scum look like war to Pakistan is beyond my ken.

So you don't want to fight them yourselves and you also don't want others to fight them.

Neither you will do it nor will you let anybody else do it.

...but that would work only as long as the scum inside YOUR country doesn't mess around with others'.

:coffee: Sure its a war. Been at war with Pakistan for 10 years now. What was Pakistan doing again? Seriously if it was a war on Pakistan you guys in Pakistan would know.

Great,Another General who thinks the best strategy is to blow up foreign lands.Reminds me of The Who song "Won't get fooled again"(damn irony) that incorporated the lyrics "meet the new boss,same as the old boss".

Where is US arrogance ?

Seriously, would anyone expect US to condone Pak with a " don't do it again' . Why are people surprised with the US reactions ?

Here is a situation where the most wanted man was found deep inside Pak ( not the ungoverned border regions) and GOP still wants to behave like a virgin.

How would anyone want the US to behave ? Seen from a US perspective things are bad and can only get worse .

Where is US arrogance ?

Seriously, would anyone expect US to condone Pak with a " don't do it again' . Why are people surprised with the US reactions ?

Here is a situation where the most wanted man was found deep inside Pak ( not the ungoverned border regions) and GOP still wants to behave like a virgin.

How would anyone want the US to behave ? Seen from a US perspective things are bad and can only get worse .

Now try looking from a Pakistani perspective or a completely neutral one.
But i'm afraid you can't.
The fact of the matter is that they simply went in and did the Bin Laden operation completely on their own, without consulting and informing with their Pakistani counterparts.

And if they can do that with the same attitude, together with the drone strikes and with knowing Americas unpredictability when it comes to these kinds of situation, we have to be on our guard.
You call the Pakistani government a wannabe innocent virgin.

Well they're indeed no virgin anymore, because the U.S. f- ed them over and over again and will continue to do so if no solid stance is taken by the GoP.

You talk as if the U.S. has all the rights to be conducting operations inside Pakistan.

How would you feel if they were swarming across India?
Nobody likes uninvited guests.

So you don't want to fight them yourselves and you also don't want others to fight them.

...but that would work only as long as the scum inside YOUR country doesn't mess around with others'.

Seeing that horrid video of the policeman, I don't think "live and let live " is a serious option.

Great,Another General who thinks the best strategy is to blow up foreign lands.Reminds me of The Who song "Won't get fooled again"(damn irony) that incorporated the lyrics "meet the new boss,same as the old boss".

So, you're saying he would be a better general fighting on home turf? Wierd....

The fact of the matter is that they simply went in and did the Bin Laden operation completely on their own, without consulting and informing with their Pakistani counterparts.

And if they can do that with the same attitude, together with the drone strikes and with knowing Americas unpredictability when it comes to these kinds of situation, we have to be on our guard.
You call the Pakistani government a wannabe innocent virgin.

Well they're indeed no virgin anymore, because the U.S. f- ed them over and over again and will continue to do so if no solid stance is taken by the GoP.

You talk as if the U.S. has all the rights to be conducting operations inside Pakistan.

India wasn't hiding OBL, and thus, not "swarmed". You imply OBL was invited?

we are fighting against this terrorism thing since 2004-05, so plz check ur facts...........................kindly clean ur scum first

we are fighting against this terrorism thing since 2004-05, so plz check ur facts...........................kindly clean ur scum first

Our scum doesn't go to Pakistan and kill Pakistanis. If anything, they kill people in India.

Your scum, on the other hand, is quite adept at killing people beyond your borders, which gives those killed every right to clean up your mess if yuo fail to do so.

That is because they didnot want to take any chances. They were highly skeptical about Pakistan's loyalties. In other instances, the US tipped off Pakistan well beforehand but mysteriously, when ever the US and Pak forces arrived to capture the militants, the place would be empty!!!

Frankly speaking, IF and that's a big IF, OBL was hiding in India and US took him out in a hot pursuit, then I'd be really thankful to the US for doing what our security was not able to do as these type of b@stards are like a disgrace to the whole human race.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom