What's new

Peshawar BRT's Detailed Documentary: Most Comprehensive BRT in Pakistan

Actually for good service even middle class in Pakistan is willing to pay more than 50 or 60 rupees.

So I won't mind if they can provide a rapid transportation even at Rs100
Of course each person has a specific limit of paying upto an amount. But not everyone riding a bus would be willing to pay the amount that you're willing to pay. That's why most of the BRT systems work on "Consumer Surplus Capturing" method. I.e. recover the fixed operational costs by luring as many commuters as possible.

This is well and good but when is Karachi Metrobus gonna begin its operations?

I heard it was supposed to be before end of Jan, 2017. It's almost end of Feb and yet no news on it.

Two types of buses – of 9-metre and 12-metre – will be used for Peshawar BRT. The 9-metre buses will be plying on the smaller roads outside the corridor such as Kohat Road, Bara Road, and residential roads at Hayatabad.
That's what we call a feeder route. These 9 meters will be feeders to the main route. However, including the feeder commuting fair in BRT's fair rather than collecting it separately would keep the passengers using specifically feeder routes, away from it.

All the buses used by the BRT will be run on diesel and not on the CNGas the CNG can increase the bus price as well as the operating andmaintenance cost. Also, the CNG poses problems with limited tank size,which requires buses to refill it after every 120-150 km.
CNG is much more economical than HSD in terms of mileage per units consumed, even after accounting for its maintenance component shorter communing. If HSD would have been more viable as the plan says it, the all of the urban transport in Karachi would have found it out way before the planners and shifted their buses back to HSD instead of operating it on CNG.

In the preliminary design of the BRT system, it has been proposed to apply distance-based regime, and a smart card system for the payment from the passengers to automatically calculate the distance travelled by each passenger.
Maximum fare has been proposed to be Rs50 for a distance of more than 40km. Any passenger using the BRT buses in one day will only need to pay a maximum of Rs50, even if he travels more than three times by using BRT facility.
This actually what we call bundle pricing. Every potential passenger would effectively be paying Rs 10 more (since the ticket would be for three trips while a complete commuting would involve two trips). You take out that, its roughly priced at Lahore metro. So this "overpay" would create the additional space for them but would undermine the commuters.

This is well and good but when is Karachi Metrobus gonna begin its operations?

I heard it was supposed to be before end of Jan, 2017. It's almost end of Feb and yet no news on it.
They're working on it, ground work is underway but no deadline so as to when it would complete. But if they continue on with it I believe somewhere early next year

This is good. It is started in a big way in my city too.

Of course each person has a specific limit of paying upto an amount. But not everyone riding a bus would be willing to pay the amount that you're willing to pay. That's why most of the BRT systems work on "Consumer Surplus Capturing" method. I.e. recover the fixed operational costs by luring as many commuters as possible.

is that a bad strategy ???

That's what we call a feeder route. These 9 meters will be feeders to the main route. However, including the feeder commuting fair in BRT's fair rather than collecting it separately would keep the passengers using specifically feeder routes, away from it.
If you watch the documentary,feeder routes will merge onto the main route via direct service as it was explained via an animation

This actually what we call bundle pricing. Every potential passenger would effectively be paying Rs 10 more (since the ticket would be for three trips while a complete commuting would involve two trips). You take out that, its roughly priced at Lahore metro. So this "overpay" would create the additional space for them but would undermine the commuters.
Lahore metro is just 27 km's long and as it's mentioned that distance based fare collection rule will be applied and Rs 50 is the maximum fare for distance more than 40 km's so the commuters wouldn't be overpaying

CNG is much more economical than HSD in terms of mileage per units consumed, even after accounting for its maintenance component shorter communing. If HSD would have been more viable as the plan says it, the all of the urban transport in Karachi would have found it out way before the planners and shifted their buses back to HSD instead of operating it on CNG.
They hired consultants and studied all major BRT's in the world,if they are saying it then it must be viable.Anyways it was preliminary design suggested a year ago.Final design could have been changed by now.

Well if you're not able to recover the fixed costs (because of large-sized buses on Main BRT), despite charging higher fair, there is a good chance that you end up making even more loss than the system which operates at lower fair but achieves higher passenger occupancy per bus.

Lahore metro is just 27 km's long and as it's mentioned that distance based fare collection rule will be applied and Rs 50 is the maximum fare for distance more than 40 km's so the commuters wouldn't be overpaying

They hired consultants and studied all major BRT's in the world,if they are saying it then it must be viable.Anyways it was preliminary design suggested a year ago.Final design could have been changed by now.
There's no consultant appointed as such (looking at the project site of ADB), the only pre-consultancy done so far is by ADB.
https://www.adb.org/projects/48289-001/main#project-pds

@Peregrine_Falcon going by the video, this looks like a well considered and planned project. Hope the results are as anticipated.

I've been in and out of Peshawar many times. It's bad but nothing like Pindi.

8 month seems not enough but saying that my project management knowledge doesn't stretch to mass transit projects. What kind of manpower are they planning to utilise? All the equipment in readiness?

Back
Top Bottom