What's new

Pemra suspends Geo News license for 15 days

My-Analogous

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
KARACHI: The Pakistan Electronic Media Regularity Authority (Pemra) has suspended the license issued to Geo News for a period of 15 days, DawnNews reported.

The channel has also been levied a fine of Rs10 million.

It was not clear if the suspension was in place with immediate effect.

A Pemra spokesman said the license was suspended on a complaint filed by the Ministry of Defence.

A statement from Geo News said that the regulatory body had “already been punishing the channel”, adding that the broadcast was not available “in 90 per cent of areas” in the country for the last 45 days.

The statement further said that the channel had already apologised and had incurred Rs2 billion in losses.

The channel added that “Geo News was not provided with any evidence nor was its stance heard by the Pemra”.

The development came following a meeting of the Pemra under the chairmanship of newly appointed chairman Pervaiz Rathore at the regulatory body's Islamabad headquarters.

The meeting was attended by government members of the body, whereas its private members were not in attendance.

The meeting considered the defence ministry's application against the news channel, following which the body suspended the license of Geo News for a period of 15 days.

Pemra suspends Geo News license for 15 days - Pakistan - DAWN.COM

This is bullshit and Govt support is not acceptable

@Zarvan @Imran @astronut @Talon 1@Spring Onion @Aeronaut @Windjammer

Last edited:
KARACHI: The Pakistan Electronic Media Regularity Authority (Pemra) has suspended the license issued to Geo News for a period of 15 days, DawnNews reported.

A Pemra spokesman said the license was suspended on a complaint filed by the Ministry of Defence.

A statement from Geo News said that the regulatory body had “already been punishing the channel”, adding that the broadcast was not available “in 90 per cent of areas” in the country for the last 45 days.

The statement further said that the channel had already apologised and had incurred Rs2 billion in losses.

The channel added that “Geo News was not provided with any evidence nor was its stance heard by the Pemra”.

The development came following a meeting of the Pemra under the chairmanship of newly appointed chairman Pervaiz Rathore at the regulatory body's Islamabad headquarters.

The meeting was attended by government members of the body, whereas its private members were not in attendance.

The meeting considered the defence ministry's application against the news channel, following which the body suspended the license of Geo News for a period of 15 days.

too little too late .........

This is not acceptable Geo News License has to be cancelled for ever Army should not allow it to happen

last Meeting of Private members are called void and null and illegal by Govt Members, and Today's decision is being called illegal by Private members, as Chairman is just Acting Chairman, which is not as per Pemra Ordinance --- it is interesting and I was wondering the same that a green pass was given to Geo to suspend their license for only 15 days

Geo News finally goes off the air in my area - I had to make a call to my cable guy, told him about the recent development, he made some calls, got the info verfied and there goes Geo News :rofl:

@VCheng - due process has been done and verdict has been given -

Agreed, and accepted. Geo should be allowed back fully without any illegal blocking after this sentence.

Now the investigations into the original allegations made by HM, and into the illegal acts by cable operators by coercion of the "angels" should also be completed, and publicized equally.

Agreed, and accepted. Geo should be allowed back fully without any illegal blocking after this sentence.
the problem is according to some Private members this decision is void and illegal too because there is no Chairman ----so as I expected it exposed PEMRA to be a week organization and finally we will se some power thrown into it....

Now the investigations into the original allegations made by HM, and into the illegal acts by cable operators by coercion of the "angels" should also be completed, and publicized equally.
for HM's case i see that not happening, because the matter will not face Media trail first hence, it will be brushed under the carpet, though I would ver much like it be investigated because this is the case where ISI will get the chance to prove its innocence

it was always on the cards that GEO transmission will be suspended for few days & a fine will be imposed... this was the only solution available.... now GEO will do what eva they can for face saving...

the problem is according to some Private members this decision is void and illegal too because there is no Chairman ----so as I expected it exposed PEMRA to be a week organization and finally we will se some power thrown into it....

for HM's case i see that not happening, because the matter will not face Media trail first hence, it will be brushed under the carpet, though I would ver much like it be investigated because this is the case where ISI will get the chance to prove its innocence

If the illegal acts committed against Geo are not also investigated fairly, then this decision will be tainted with unfair bias, and will lose its legitimacy.

it was like letting them go with a anythng .. 15 days was what geo expected for beginning ...fine is what they earn in few hours ... finally geo has win over jawans ..
cabel operators and people should keep boycotting geo

Back
Top Bottom