What's new

PDF Project: Case study of IRAQ-IRAN WAR

@Slav Defence @Alpha1 we can only monitor, sadly, as we would be focused on the Wiki :( though I'd love to have a series like this.

Perhaps @AUSTERLITZ can provide analysis of the campaigns?

@Doritos11 you in too?

Hmm,i'm a little low on extra material from magazines on this one,as iraq-iran war is largely ignored unlike arab-israeli wars which u can find tons of material on.Will have to get everything from net only,which is accesible to all of you.:(
On top of that,i'm already doing battle of yarmuk[just done] and leuthen -campaign threads on military history section,so i'm not sure how much help i can be.Still if i can find anything i'll definitely post.

Trust me, it's more fun when the information is low: you get to do more investigative work then. We have outlines of the war, some news and other academic works, more than enough to start.
this aint good :(

Trust me, it's more fun when the information is low: you get to do more investigative work then. We have outlines of the war, some news and other academic works, more than enough to start.

still , i'm okey ! lets start then .

Iran–Iraq War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well this is the main basic page.But imp part really is the hidden 'name of battles' section under iran-iraq war heading.Use show button to expand.
Iraqi invasion

Stalemate (1981)

Iranian offensive (1982)

Strategic stalemate (1983-1984)

Duel offensives (1985-1986)

Final stages

These were the battles given.First one has to give a broad intro on factors and causes of war and opposing forces[pics available on google image search]As for the battles-Now somebody has to check each of these wiki links for relevant info to get a basic idea,plus do a google search on each of these battles meticulously for what he can find outside wiki on each battle to add to wiki info.Then post a gist with any diagrams he can make/find in net to readers here.Very time consuming work,but if u are fan of military history often rewarding in knowledge.

Order of battle during the Iran–Iraq War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The order of battle link.marginally useful to know the equipment of the divisions involved.

iran-iraq war in the air torrent - Google Search
Of this google search.3rd and 6th google search results are pdf files downloadable which have info on the air war section.
Absolutely rudimentary i could find.

these two operations are iranian offensive .

kaman99 was the first iranian reply to saddam offensive at the start of war

Operation Kaman 99 (Operation Bow 99) was an operation launched by the Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force in retaliation to Iraqi surprise aerial attacks on Iran the day before which marked the beginning of the 8-year-long Iran–Iraq War.

morvarid was the naval attack of iran which resulted in total destruction of saddam navy

Operation Morvarid (Persian:عملیات مروارید "Operation Pearl") was an operation launched by the Iranian Navy and Iranian Air Forceagainst the Iraqi Navy and Air Force on 28 November 1980 in response to Iraq positioning radar and monitoring equipment on the Al-Bakr and Khor-al-Amaya oil rigs to counter Iranian air operations. The operation resulted in a victory for Iran, which managed to destroy both oil rigs as well as much of the Iraqi Navy and inflicted significant damage to Iraqi ports and airfields. It should not be confused with the Operation Morvarid launched by the NLA in the 1990s.

On the battles,concentrate first on the big land battles - like dezful,karbala-5,ramadan,undeniable victory operation etc.One is more likely to find detailed info on big battles on the net .

Liberation of Khorramshahr - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Liberation of Khorramshahr was the Iranian recapture of the port city of Khorramshahr from the Iraqis on May 24, 1982 during theIran–Iraq War. The Iraqis had captured the city early in the war on October 26, 1980. The successful retaking of the city was part ofOperation Beit ol-Moqaddas. It is perceived as a turning point in the war and the liberation is celebrated in Iran on its anniversary, 24 May.

=============================

Operation Beit ol-Moqaddas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Operation Beit ol-Moqaddas (or Operation Jerusalem) was an Iranian operation conducted during the Iran–Iraq War. The operation was a success, in as so far as it achieved its standing aim of evicting Iraqi troops from the Iranian city of Khorramshahr. This operation, coupled with Operation Jerusalem Way, and Operation Undeniable Victory, succeeded in evicting Iraqi troops from southern Iran.

The numbers of casualties sustained by Iraq and Iran are unknown; but it is likely that there was not as marked a difference between both sides as there would be when Iran was losing thousands in one campaign against a relatively paltry Iraqi dead and wounded. Iran was using massed human-wave attacks of Pasdaran and Basij fighters, which it would come to rely on later in the war from 1983 onwards. However, they were supporting these attacks with sufficient artillery and aerial support, and the fighters acted alongside regular Iranian troops, who were much better trained than the poorly-equipped Islamic Revolutionary fighters.

Great work @AUSTERLITZ @haman10

See we can move foward with this! Let's put together a team and move forward. Aust, how's about taking this as your next project? You've done battles mostly, how's about a war now?

Great work @AUSTERLITZ @haman10

See we can move foward with this! Let's put together a team and move forward. Aust, how's about taking this as your next project? You've done battles mostly, how's about a war now?

Not me.I'm as i write this posting Yarmuk, and have austerlitz and leuthen started.Plus since i have no extra material from magazines/books to offer on this-i think u guys can do just as well or even better taking sources from the open net.I really recommend the links in post 23.Especially the first one,i liked reading that one.I'll keenly follow this thread and add if i find any good links though.

Actually, in terms of military, they were quite, evenly matched, still, Iranian were able route it very late into the war. It still deserves more attention then it's gotten.

A special interest I have is in the naval operation that took place.
well let me disappoint you only 1-2 naval operation occurred before the Iraqi navy completely get destroyed by two angry Iranian f-4 pilot . well in fact those guys blow everything Iraqi that could float in the operation morvarid (to be honest it wasn't much to begin with)

and if you want to knew why those pilots were angry it was because two Iranian Combattante II missile Boat (Joshan and Peykan ) made a siege on Al-Faw and Um-AlQasr port and start shelling the facilities of the port and trap 60 foreign ship there , Iraq responded by sending eight p6 torpedo boat and 5 fast attack OSA II boat . as result Iranian boat sink 2 OSA II boats by harpoon (well one of the rare success of harpoon in our navy and I guess repeated failure of the version of that missile resulted in our navy decide to abandon that missile in favor of C-802) then three remaining OSA II boat closed on Peykan and sank it with several p15-termit missile but before it sank peykan sent some message and ask for help and Iran sent two f4 and those guys when arrived that was two late and that made them mad and they not only destroyed he ship but any facility they could find. as a result Iraq lost 80% of it's navy and didn't recover from it even after the war.

so you hardly can find any interesting naval operation in that war.

well something else I can say in that war we had best record in naval battle by using Maverick and worst by using Harpoon

@haman10

I'm posting you as the lead of this project. I shall give you access to the guide on how to write. Get a team together of the people willing to be with you.

@notorious_eagle @Joe Shearer

This might be of interest to you as well.

@Alpha1 can help us with the maps but only when we're done with the complete outline

morvarid was the naval attack of iran which resulted in total destruction of saddam navy

Operation Morvarid (Persian:عملیات مروارید "Operation Pearl") was an operation launched by the Iranian Navy and Iranian Air Forceagainst the Iraqi Navy and Air Force on 28 November 1980 in response to Iraq positioning radar and monitoring equipment on the Al-Bakr and Khor-al-Amaya oil rigs to counter Iranian air operations. The operation resulted in a victory for Iran, which managed to destroy both oil rigs as well as much of the Iraqi Navy and inflicted significant damage to Iraqi ports and airfields. It should not be confused with the Operation Morvarid launched by the NLA in the 1990s.
let to be honest , it was not our navy that won Operation morvarid , it was our air force

I'm posting you as the lead of this project. I shall give you access to the guide on how to write. Get a team together of the people willing to be with you.

i would be willing , but i must warn u !!

i am in my exams season !! this project might take time .....

if u think u can find someone better , i can help him/her .

what happened to @Alpha1 ?

Back
Top Bottom