What's new

Pakistan’s weightlifter Nooh Dastagir Butt creates history in Commonwealth Games

The Eagle

SENIOR MODERATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan’s weightlifter Nooh Dastagir Butt creates history in Commonwealth Games
14 Jul, 2018

pakistan-s-weightlifter-nooh-dastagir-butt-creates-history-in-commonwealth-games-1531588985-8150.png

KARACHI – Pakistan’s weightlifter Nooh Dastagir Butt managed to smash a record at the Commonwealth Games 2018 by registering the highest-ever weight by a junior in the +105kg event while also earning the country its second medal at the event on Monday.

Butt won a bronze after he bettered his previous record of 389kg at the Commonwealth Weightlifting Championship that also took place in Gold Coast, Australia last year.

At the Games, he lifted a total of 395kg to make a junior record, edging past India’s Gurdeep Singh but falling behind New Zealand’s David Liti, who lifted 403kg, and Lauititi Lui (400kg) for the top two spots, reported Express Tribune.

The Gujranwala-based athlete didn’t avail his other chances however and caved in to pressure. He got 173kg in the snatch but failed there in the next two attempts, and lifted 222kg in clean & jerk again, missing the next two attempts.

If Nooh had managed to get five of his six attempts successful, he could’ve got us the gold,” Pakistan Weightlifting Federation Vice-President Rashed Malik, who has had a major hand in developing the new crop of athletes.

The 20-year-old has been training vigorously to achieve that feat and is among the seven weightlifters to represent the country at the Games.

This is just the second medal for Pakistan in the Games, with Nooh’s fellow weightlifter Talha Talib also breaking a record in the 62kg event while clinching bronze.

The youngsters have been working hard to achieve their goals since 2014 and out of a Pakistani contingent of 56 athletes, these two are the only ones to have delivered any medals so far.

Pakistan are currently on 26th position in the rankings table.

I hope the new Govt will take some serious initiatives for improving our Sports structure, specially Hockey

3 months old news.

He did better his 395 record to 399 now, last week. Then its Commonwealth Junior Record, not Commonwealth Games Junior Record. But why does 20 year old count as a junior?

Last edited:
I hope the new Govt will take some serious initiatives for improving our Sports structure, specially Hockey

I hop football is added to that list of our neighbours Iran can compete we should be able to compete we need to improve our infrastructure

I hop football is added to that list of our neighbours Iran can compete we should be able to compete we need to improve our infrastructure

Iran has an excellent domestic league and academies, Pakistan should at least aim to create a better domestic league with coaches from Europe.

Back
Top Bottom