What's new

Pakistan's Service Rifle (G-3, Type-56) Replacement Competition 2016.

Which rifle should win the competition?

• FN-SCAR-H

Votes: 241 42.9%
  • Beretta ARX-200

Votes: 62 11.0%
  • CZ-806 Bren2

Votes: 116 20.6%
  • Kalashnikov AK-103

Votes: 127 22.6%
  • Zavasta M21

Votes: 17 3.0%

• Total voters
I shar
Honestly, the best way for Pakistani firms right now is partner up with foreign firms like Turkish, Chinese or Italian, and build up a local tech base.

I feel like GIDS has announced all these projects and it really has nothing to back them. My fear is that this is gonna fail just like Project Azm which ended up being far too expensive and technologically out of reach for Pakistan.

Building up your knowledge base is important, and right now Pakistan is experiencing extreme brain drain.

I know people who are engineers and doctors who've left Pakistan in the past 2 years, simply because they got better offers for their services over seas. Almost all of them don't feel the need to go back to Pakistan, especially now a days.

Fyi, this is not a political statement, this is an economic issue that every party has talked about and acknowledges is a problem. Pakistan needs to stop and reverse the outflow of knowledge. It's losing amazing talent to not just Europe and North America, but the Middle East and China as well.
For GIDS I think they would manage to produce some projects and some they may not. But yes for most weapons we need to go in with TOT and joint collaborations with countries like China, Turkey, Europe and others.

There have been many instances in which terrorists once hit on abdomen with a M4 have gone down fighting by taking down ours as well....thts a big price to pay. IF you are into real fight, you would like that who ever you have hit once, should never get up again.
Thank you Sir for the response now i understand that why shoot to kill is the priority

Trajectory can be easily compensated for, and the notion of 'better wound characteristics' remains highly debatable. While 5.56/5.45 bullets have a tendency to yaw in soft tissue, it is not 100% guranteed. More often than not, the bullet will connect with a bone and merely incapacitate the target, unless you go directly for the belly.

Regarding velocity, the 5.56 does have an edge with its "theoretical" potential for hydrostatic shock, but the 7.62x39 velocity isn't all that far behind (730 vs. 961 m/s).

Plus, armies usually use 123 grain bullets when it comes to 7.26x39, which are basically twice as heavy as U.S Army's standard issue 62 grain 5.56 ammo.
Thanks for the reply, this question was really bugging me out lately

Last edited:
What about replacing older Barreta stand issue hand guns with SAR X from turk which is now used by turk army as standard Issue Handgun for all it's soldiers

What about replacing older Barreta stand issue hand guns with SAR X from turk which is now used by turk army as standard Issue Handgun for all it's soldiers

I have been saying this for some time. Working with Turkey is our way forward. Getting Canik series with TOT and Assault Rifles from Kale and Kalip and other Turkish companies. Improving the further with their help and then producing them in Pakistan is the way forward.

Door for foreign companies is almost permanently shut. Replacement for MP5A2 and SMG Chinese will be by POF CW 56 while replacement of G3 is not clear at the moment. But most probably cavalier Maverick 22 will be chosen.
Yes there is room forreplacement of MG42 which needs to be explored. FN mini can be the best choice.

Yes there is room forreplacement of MG42 which needs to be explored.

Damn, Hitler's buzzsaw?!

Nah man, I'm pretty sure that we are using German MG3s, a machine gun heavily based on the MG42 albeit rechambered for 7.62 NATO, as opposed to 7.92 Mauser. Basically, a slightly tamed MG42, not just because of the 7.62mm but also because it fires at a much slower 700-900 RPM. MG42 was like 1,500 RPM!

But yeah, these MG3s are in service since the 1960s so a replacement would be nice. Though, to be fair, modern MG platforms barely offer any noticeable advantages.

Whereas MG3 is a reliable, tried and tested MG platform.

Given the economic meltdown, it is doubtful any replacement will be fielded for years to come.

POF is of course an organization which values money inflows. We, on the other hand, have to take in view tactical, doctrinal aspects of enemy and ourselves. They all don't overlap everytime. We all have to live with all this.
And what are your views on the light Squad MG (turkish one with tot) being proposed by POF to PA. Which comes in both 5.56/7.62 as exhibited at IDEAS.

And what are your views on the light Squad MG (turkish one with tot) being proposed by POF to PA. Which comes in both 5.56/7.62 as exhibited at IDEAS.
Being offered is one thing. Like i said in my post which you have quoted, acceptance entails a long list of actions which will surely span over years....personally i think we should have done this years ago....but our priorities always remained different. Therefore, we will continue to suffer....we will always find ourselves behind in critical war fighting domains be it land, air, sea, cyber, space.....host of many.

Defence Insider
@defence_insider

Both the System Defence MFR56 Light Machine Gun (LMG) and the R56 Rifle were on display at Pakistan Ordnance Factories (POF) pavilion at #IDEAS2022. This suggests ToT and local production for Pakistan Armed Forces and other Law Enforcement Agencies (LEAs).

Back
Top Bottom