Pakistan
Pakistan’s history of nuclear weapons ‘entangled in tensions’, US says
By News Desk
Published: September 29, 2016
9SHARES
SHARE TWEET EMAIL
1190715-abccebdeeab-1475132642-106-640x480.jpg

PHOTO: AFP

US Defence Secretary Ashton carter has said that Pakistan’s history of nuclear weapons was “entangled in tensions”.

He made the remarks while talking to airmen at the Minot Air Force Base while kicking off a visit to the US Departement of Defence’s nuclear deterrence enterprise.

Speaking about the changing nuclear landscape, Carter said India and China had been behaving responsibly with their nuclear enterprises. On Pakistan, however, he went on to say: “The last example I’ll cite is Pakistan, where nuclear weapons are entangled in a history of tension, and while they are not a threat to the United States directly, we work with Pakistan to ensure stability.”

US urges India, Pakistan to settle disputes through diplomacy not violence

Speaking about Iran, he said increased transparency over its activities and last year’s nuclear accord would prevent Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon. While the US has not done much to enhance its nuclear arsenal, others have boosted theirs, he said.

The secretary spoke at a hangar on the flightline of the base. He highlighted throughout his talk with airmen that America’s nuclear deterrence was the foundation of US security and the Defense Department’s top priority. Earlier, the United States urged Pakistan and India to resolve all disputed issues, including Kashmir, through diplomacy and not violence.

US, India sign agreement to share military assets, bases

“We have long urged India and Pakistan to find ways to resolve their differences not through violence but through diplomacy,” White House spokesperson Josh Earnest said on Friday. Earnest’s comments came in response to a question on simmering of relations between the two south Asian nuclear-armed neighbours in the wake of a separatist attack on an Indian army camp in occupied Kashmir.

Worse, coming from a person who belongs to a country that created ISIS which is nothing short of a nuke. Our nukes haven't killed anybody. We know how many children die each day in Syria and elsewhere.

Coming from a person whose country is notorious for loosing it's nuclear asset's all the time. A joke.

That was a particularly feeble and petulant response. Learn to take criticism at face value, not with a sneer and a counter. My remarks are also for the other hero who is willing to fight to the last Pakistani, apparently, from what his signals show, while sitting somewhere far away.

Coming from you I won't mind it. You will certainly be backed by US despite your vulnerabilities.

I am not sure whether Ashton Carter remembers his history lessons

USAF , once dropped a live 4 Megaton nuke over North Carolina and South Carolina twice, which was 260 times more powerful than the bomb dropped over Hiroshima and 25 times more powerful than the Biggest nuke Fielded by India( AKA the 160 Kilo Ton Weapon called the Peking Duck )

check out the below article from 2013

The document, obtained by the investigative journalist Eric Schlosser under the Freedom of Information Act, gives the first conclusive evidence that the US was narrowly spared a disaster of monumental proportions when two Mark 39 hydrogen bombs were accidentally dropped over Goldsboro, North Carolina on 23 January 1961. The bombs fell to earth after a B-52 bomber broke up in mid-air, and one of the devices behaved precisely as a nuclear weapon was designed to behave in warfare: its parachute opened, its trigger mechanisms engaged, and only one low-voltage switch prevented untold carnage.

Each bomb carried a payload of 4 megatons – the equivalent of 4 million tons of TNT explosive. Had the device detonated, lethal fallout could have been deposited over Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia and as far north as New York city – putting millions of lives at risk.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/20/usaf-atomic-bomb-north-carolina-1961

http://io9.gizmodo.com/5904633/in-1...-nuclear-weapon-on-two-little-girls-playhouse

I am not sure whether Ashton Carter remembers his history lessons

USAF , once dropped a live 4 Megaton nuke over North Carolina and South Carolina twice, which was 260 times more powerful than the bomb dropped over Hiroshima and 25 times more powerful than the Biggest nuke Fielded by India( AKA the 160 Kilo Ton Weapon called the Peking Duck )

check out the below article from 2013

The document, obtained by the investigative journalist Eric Schlosser under the Freedom of Information Act, gives the first conclusive evidence that the US was narrowly spared a disaster of monumental proportions when two Mark 39 hydrogen bombs were accidentally dropped over Goldsboro, North Carolina on 23 January 1961. The bombs fell to earth after a B-52 bomber broke up in mid-air, and one of the devices behaved precisely as a nuclear weapon was designed to behave in warfare: its parachute opened, its trigger mechanisms engaged, and only one low-voltage switch prevented untold carnage.

Each bomb carried a payload of 4 megatons – the equivalent of 4 million tons of TNT explosive. Had the device detonated, lethal fallout could have been deposited over Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia and as far north as New York city – putting millions of lives at risk.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/20/usaf-atomic-bomb-north-carolina-1961

http://io9.gizmodo.com/5904633/in-1...-nuclear-weapon-on-two-little-girls-playhouse

@Joe Shearer face value Sir ??

@Joe Shearer face value Sir ??

Of course. I think both of us get the point that he is making, and being clever about it is just deceiving ourselves. Mind you, I also know that the Pakistani approach to control is supposed to be better. Here the point is about the stability and the responsibility of the state that exercises control.

Coming from you I won't mind it. You will certainly be backed by US despite your vulnerabilities.

The US has never backed us, except with arms and ammunition during 1962. The US has always dealt with Pakistan with the utmost indulgence, even today. US generals make loud and aggressive statements about Pakistan, and then hobnob with Pakistani generals as the greatest of friends - which they are. Until they take sharp and decisive action against Pakistan, nobody has any faith in these meaningless slaps on the wrist, delivered with an eye to the gallery.

Of course. I think both of us get the point that he is making, and being clever about it is just deceiving ourselves. Mind you, I also know that the Pakistani approach to control is supposed to be better. Here the point is about the stability and the responsibility of the state that exercises control.

The US has never backed us, except with arms and ammunition during 1962. The US has always dealt with Pakistan with the utmost indulgence, even today. US generals make loud and aggressive statements about Pakistan, and then hobnob with Pakistani generals as the greatest of friends - which they are. Until they take sharp and decisive action against Pakistan, nobody has any faith in these meaningless slaps on the wrist, delivered with an eye to the gallery.

Dear I am talking about nowadays, since Carter can be found with Modi all the time.

Dear I am talking about nowadays, since Carter can be found with Modi all the time.

I am a 66 year old professor of management with a long history of service to civil and military circles. Do, please, remember that when choosing your appellations for me, Doctor. My wife calls me dear; I cannot offhand think of anybody else.

About your response, being found with Modi means nothing unless there is some substance to such meetings. There is nothing that will make him say what he need not say, or should not say. On the other hand, there is an enormous amount of latitude displayed by both civilian and military leaders of the US.

Don't worry, we protect our Nukes more than the cows. Unlike our neighbour.

Pakistan has been continuously applauded by regulatory bodies regarding her controls and security and I think we are doing good but there is always a chance to improve.

Pakistan has been continuously applauded by regulatory bodies regarding her controls and security and I think we are doing good but there is always a chance to improve.

I don't dispute that. I think, as I have already said, it is the inherent instability of the Pakistani state that was under comment. As far as controls and security are concerned, Pakistan's military has an enviable record of professional standards being maintained.

Ironically, it is precisely this that makes their occasional vehement denials hard to believe. OBL, for instance; these latest incidents in Kashmir for another.

Was just letting you know.

You could have used different expressions other than religious symbols. If you wish to indulge in that kind of muck-throwing, I can finish whatever you start. Please choose your words more carefully next time.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom