What's new

Pakistan's geopolitical standing; It should use her power to balance affairs b/w GCC and Iran.

Albatross

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan is a strange country. I say this not in a negative sense, but because I'm simply baffled. Almost 67 years have passed since its geographical inception on 14 August 1947. To date, the country is still going through a wave of internal turmoil.
Factually speaking, Pakistan is still the only nuclear-armed Muslim state in the world. It is both a source of power and subsequently, equally greater responsibility. It is this robust defence and security structure of Pakistan which lends credence to its influential position in regional affairs, particularly in the MENA and South Asian zones.
In the perspective of Muslim/Islamic states, Pakistan has enjoyed cordial and oft-times turbulent relations with all, especially ideological archrivals Iran and Saudi Arabia. Successive governments in Pakistan, irrespective of their specific predominant leanings, have made sure they do not disrupt the equilibrium of ties with these two countries. It is for this reason several academics in the field of international relations have dubbed Pakistan as a country which has the power to balance affairs between these disputing states by acting as a sort of "third party mediator".
However, the situation changed especially because of the so-called "Arab Spring". The toppling of regimes previously considered legitimate by segments of people in MENA paved the way for a free-for-all loot bazar in which Saudi Arabia and Iran took turns to establish their ideological dominance, both overtly and covertly. We have seen in the case of Syria how Riyadh and Tehran both have waged their wars on foreign soil. This is the modus operandi of these countries who ironically accuse "foreign elements" trying to sabotage their own peace and stability. The only comment which one can make on this is, "As you sow, so shall you reap!".
The "awakening" movements took place elsewhere as well, including Libya, Tunisia and Yemen. Egypt has managed to control this transformation courtesy of its powerful military.
In Pakistan, although the ouster of Morsi did trigger a nationwide resentment visible in the form of protests, etc. mostly by a mainstream politico-religious party, it never really instigated a particular sectarian community. This is because Sunnis and Shias in Pakistan both were mostly in favor of Morsi and more so angry towards a "dictator" (referring to Field Marshal Abdel Fattah el-Sisi). This is primarily because a majority of Pakistanis still resent the dictatorships which took over in their own country. Moreover, Iran and Saudi Arabia both supported Morsi in principle until Saudi Arabia got a whiff of the fact that Morsi was still a mere puppet for the Muslim Brotherhood which Riyadh sees as a threat (it's ally Qatar believes otherwise).
But anyhow, that phase came and passed by without must disruption. However, Syria's case is totally different: It is an Arab country, yes, but one with an Alawite (Shia) government led by Bashar al-Assad with an opposition comprising Sunnis and Wahhabis. Something similar is taking place in Sunni-led Bahrain where the Shias are revolting against the Sunni regime in Manama. In both cases, Arab Gulf states and Iran are battling out their ideologies to take control over pieces of land.
Pakistan has always been demonized for not allaying concerns of Arab Gulf states and Iran. Perhaps no other country has been this mishandled than Pakistan, not even Lebanon. Pakistan's social structure comprises of powerful, educated and influential Sunnis, Wahhabis and Shias, besides people of other schools of thought and religions/beliefs. What Pakistan has failed to properly establish is its national identity. It is indeed proclaimed through speeches and documents but the reality is very grim. Fact is, because of this identity vacuum, one which could provide a unifying force for the populace, the only factor which Pakistanis adhere to next is a uniquely perplexing web of politico-socio-economic-sectarian beliefs.
This is why there are two predominant, opposing geopolitical camps in Pakistan: One that is pro-Gulf and another that is pro-Iran. The debate has been raging for hours on end on domestic media about why the mysterious aid was given by an unnamed Arab country to Pakistan ($1.5 billion). The pro-Iran camp in Pakistan is head over heels not only on this particular issue, but also on the surprise visit of the King of Bahrain. Similarly, the pro-Gulf lobby in Pakistan expressed resentment over Iran's growing relations with Pakistan, especially regarding the IP Gas Pipeline deal.
Pakistan has emphasized time and again that it will never take sides on the Syrian crisis, and rightly so. Analysts consider this another Foreign Office bluff, but I believe the diplomatic corps is fully aware of the fact that if any specific policy favoring either the Arab or Iranian camp is promoted or adopted, then it will have massive ramifications back home. Considering the already-grave internal security situation, Islamabad is playing its card with utmost care.
What has particularly caught my attention is a recent statement by the Foreign Minister of Bahrain, Sheikh Khalid bin Ahmed bin Mohammad al-Khalifa, who said, “Since Pakistan is an influential country, we believe it can play a key role in improving bilateral ties between Iran and Gulf countries, including Bahrain". He also added that Bahrain desires a 'political solution' to the Syrian crisis and wants Pakistan's help in resolving the issue in accordance with the Geneva process.
This is a welcome statement and reveals that the GCC countries are possibly betting on utilizing the diplomatic expertise of Islamabad to settle out disputes with Tehran, especially on the Syrian and Bahraini/Yemeni fronts. Tehran presently enjoys cordial ties with Oman, quite a neutral Arab state under the headship of Sultan Qaboos, a monarch who has kept himself well aloof of regional disputes. I believe that with Pakistan, the country of Oman can also work out differences between Gulf states and Iran.
Anyhow, coming back to Pakistan, the dilemma of this country is that its mainstream analysts are causing unnecessary division in the Pakistani society through the print and electronic media.
If I am a Sunni or Wahhabi, I will naturally incline towards an anti-Iran bias and similarly, if I am a Shia, I will maintain an anti-Arab bias. This mode of thinking needs to be eliminated once and for all, most urgently in Pakistan. We are a country that, despite the tremendous odds, is one of the most influential and powerful Muslim states both diplomatically and militarily. Politico-socio-economic issues will be resolved one day soon and that can only be ensured if we maintain a mature and friendly posture towards all states which concern us directly or indirectly. Hence, be it Arab Gulf states or Iran, Pakistan needs to play the role of a big brother.
Recommendation
My personal suggestion, though one that will certainly raise many eyebrows, is to have an advisory committee operating for the government which consists of policy analysts with equal representation of Sunni, Shia and Wahhabi scholars. These analysts will analyze relations with Turkey, Iran, Arab Gulf states, etc. based on group-wise understanding, deduce commonly-agreed recommendations and principles then share them with the government in charge. In short, this group will be a sort of 'National Islamic Committee for Foreign Affairs'.
In my view, this is the most plausible means of including all influential sectarian stakeholders and taking their collective advice on the most effective do's and don'ts of dealing with Islamic/Muslim countries in particular and regional countries in general.

From the Director's Desk: Pakistan's precarious geopolitical standing | Terminal X

Pakistan, despite having the bomb, possesses no such power. It only takes orders from the big daddy of GCC.
Bomb in itself is a huge power ask yr daddies in army whose pants are wet since pak made smart nukes with the aim of destroying any advancing troops on the border . Pakistan is the only muslim country to have exported billions of dollar worth weapons something which is only increasing with time so its not only a bomb as you put it .Its a complete defence production/research entity ranging from guns,tanks,sophiticated radars andsensors to aircrafts(has india ever sold an aircraft to any one go and google how many we have sold to iraq,kSA ,egypt,malaysia etc) to one of the world's finest and fastest growing nuclear program (both uranium and plutonium) ,an entity that has proved its worth over decades bomb is just a small part of it to keep dogs at a distance as their barking will disturb our concentration.
Also ask ukranians if they had the bomb there wouldnt have been a secession of crimea.

I knew Indian trolls would be hurt to realize Pakistan's standing but its true our social fabric is made of sunni,shia and wahabi guys all of whom have their people in highest circles of power something that differentiate pakistan from rest of the muslim nations where mostly one group dominates.Also it enables is to communicate with all the stakeholders .

Last edited:
Bomb in itself is a huge power ask yr daddies in army whose pants are wet since pak made smart nukes with the aim of destroying any advancing troops on the border . Pakistan is the only muslim country to have exported billions of dollar worth weapons something which is only increasing with time so its not only a bomb as you put it .Its a complete defence production/research entity ranging from guns,tanks,sophiticated radars andsensors to aircrafts to one of the world's finest and fastest growing nuclear program (both uranium and plutonium) that has proved its worth over decades bomb is just a small part of it to keep dogs at a distance as their barking will disturb our concentration.
Also ask ukranians if they had the bomb there wouldnt have been a secession of crimea.

I knew Indian trolls would be hurt to realize Pakistan's standing but its true our social fabric is made of sunni,shia and wahabi guys all of whom have their people in highest circles of powers something that differentiate pakistan from rest of the muslim nations where mostly one group dominates.
Pakistan can only and only talk bout Nuke Bomb. Thats where their identity start and ends. Trust me, fuget bout wetting pants or not, You dont have balls to use the nukes officially coz u dont live in a Parallel Univers but in thos world itself where u gotta face all the countries. And fuget bout eating grass and all, when sanctions are hit, ur country goes back by 2-3 decades. So nobody in this world is scared bout Pakistanis using their Nukes.

Yes, wholrd is scared for one thing tough. That Pakistan is itslef so unstable inside that the terrorists take over their nukes and use on the civilised world. This is what everyoe is worried. Whole world dont trust even a pint that Pakistan wud never ever let their nukes go in wrong hands. I suggest u to 1st create ur stature in this world to gain that respect and trust.

Blabbering of Nukes is the age old kiddish talk Pakistanis are used to.

Bomb in itself is a huge power ask yr daddies in army whose pants are wet since pak made smart nukes with the aim of destroying any advancing troops on the border . Pakistan is the only muslim country to have exported billions of dollar worth weapons something which is only increasing with time so its not only a bomb as you put it .Its a complete defence production/research entity ranging from guns,tanks,sophiticated radars andsensors to aircrafts to one of the world's finest and fastest growing nuclear program (both uranium and plutonium) ,an entity that has proved its worth over decades bomb is just a small part of it to keep dogs at a distance as their barking will disturb our concentration.

The bomb is perfect for self defense, I am sure it has prevented wars in the subcontinent. But that is not the point here, nor Pakistan selling a few millions worth of weapons to somebody. The point is Pakistan has no leverage over either GCC or Iran to act as a mediator to facilitate a peace process. Yes you can dream about it and write long articles but come back and talk to me when something like that actually happens.

Pakistan can only and only talk bout Nuke Bomb. Thats where their identity start and ends. Trust me, fuget bout wetting pants or not, You dont have balls to use the nukes officially coz u dont live in a Parallel Univers but in thos world itself where u gotta face all the countries. And fuget bout eating grass and all, when sanctions are hit, ur country goes back by 2-3 decades. So nobody in this world is scared bout Pakistanis using their Nukes.

Yes, wholrd is scared for one thing tough. That Pakistan is itslef so unstable inside that the terrorists take over their nukes and use on the civilised world. This is what everyoe is worried. Whole world dont trust even a pint that Pakistan wud never ever let their nukes go in wrong hands. I suggest u to 1st create ur stature in this world to gain that respect and trust.

Blabbering of Nukes is the age old kiddish talk Pakistanis are used to.

This thread is about Pakistan playing its role in balancing things b/w GCC and Iran and dint mention the name india anywhere why did you guys had to jump in .

And read my last post again its not only a bomb we never exported that but even then we have exported lot mote weapons than india clearly showing the difference b/w our defence industries so bury this issue here or open a thread about it.

Here if you guys can contribute something on this thread you are welcome otherwise save yr pak hate for some concerned thread this thread is not about India.

The bomb is perfect for self defense, I am sure it has prevented wars in the subcontinent. But that is not the point here, nor Pakistan selling a few millions worth of weapons to somebody. The point is Pakistan has no leverage over either GCC or Iran to act as a mediator to facilitate a peace process. Yes you can dream about it and write long articles but come back and talk to me when something like that actually happens.
Dont waste your time on this. Pakistani's believe having a nuclear bomb is the be all and end all of being a great power.

A great power implies that it gives them a seat with the big boys and they can 'balance' GCC and Iran issues or 'bring close' China and 'Muslim world'.

You cannot get them out of these...fantasies.

Pakistan is definitely someone with whom both Iran and saudi's can talk and this automatically put us in the position to convey the grievances of one party to the other .Above all to mediate its not necessary to have an influence as is evident from US attempts to forge a peace deal b/w Israel and palestine though US has influence on both.

Both Iran and KSA needs to understand their rivalry is only making their opponents strong and despite their differences on many issues they do have a some common issues e.g Israel

How about Pakistan look after it's own interests first. I personally care neither for an Iran alliance or Saudi alliance. Keep things good with both and there will be no need to worry about either.

Pakistan has immense potential and once we rid ourselves of the problem of terrorism, make reforms in the economy and begin to build our state properly, the country will be a major player. Having the bomb and massive armed forces is simply not enough.

Dont waste your time on this. Pakistani's believe having a nuclear bomb is the be all and end all of being a great power.

A great power implies that it gives them a seat with the big boys and they can 'balance' GCC and Iran issues or 'bring close' China and 'Muslim world'.

You cannot get them out of these...fantasies.

No, many of us don't . Read my post.

@Arabian Legend @haman10 @JEskandari @Yzd Khalifa @Aeronaut @BLACK EAGLE @Ottoman-Turk @Syrian Lion
@Zarvan @Zarar Haider
@Hyperion @airmarshal @Informant

What's your take on this article though the main thing is not Pakistan mediating b/w them(if they can do it themselves we will b more than happy) the actual issue is the realization where this rivalry is taking middle east and muslims as a whole and how its strengthening our opponents in east and west .

If all the middle east is just focused on research,progress in tech and education wouldnt it be better for muslims as a whole instead of meddling in each others affairs .

Last edited:
If its done I guess it would be the biggest ever service of Pakistan to Isalm and middle east a lot bigger than exporting weapons or skilled professional the only thing Pakistan has done so far.

:raise: :raise:

It's kind of funny that the so called mediator is putting up his hands to mediate when normally it's the disputing parties who requests someone to mediate. Being a lifetime lackey of one of the disputing side does not qualify one to be a mediator anyway.

It's kind of funny that the so called mediator is putting up his hands to mediate when normally it's the disputing parties who requests someone to mediate. Being a lifetime lackey of one of the disputing side does not qualify one to be a mediator anyway.
As the article clearly states Pakistan has decided firmly to keep herself away from intervening in syria and any other such dispute clearly shows pakistan's policy maker are now looking at a more stable and logical standing in all matters concerning GCC and Iran and wants to forge good relations with everyone.

I wonder why you troll indians come up with yr one liners without reading the article properly .

As the article clearly states Pakistan has decided firmly to keep herself away from intervening in syria and any other such dispute clearly shows pakistan's policy maker are now looking at a more stable and logical standing in all matters concerning GCC and Iran and wants to forge good relations with everyone.

You taking a terminal x article seriously is hilarious too.

You taking a terminal x article seriously is hilarious too.
Its not about the origin its about the facts stated in the article which can be cross checked otherwise as well. Terminalx does provide very accurate info on variety of subjects.

Back
Top Bottom