What's new

Pakistan’s exports to most regions have plunged

India's exports too have declined and their imports have surged.
So much so that there is (last 12 months) 123 billion $ wide gap = Hungarian GDP

And this is not congress, this is a nationalist BJP government that is out to ruin India. These drum beaters, those who were attacking the previous government on the same lines.

temfvgbhy7.png

Pakistan exports $10-20 billion in products. The infrastructure and ports exist. Can they be more efficient ? Yes.
at the end of the day pakistan has limited base of products to make. Nothing is going to solve that other than foreign investors.
It's very complicated. The problem is hardware (roads, ports, power) but also software (human skill base, outlook, practices, business culture, social outlook) and I am not fan of Nawaz Sharif but the issue is bigger than any single party or government. Out of both problems the software problem is harder to sort out. But it can be done with time. Needs a dedicated thread to deal with this subject.

Pakistan's trade deficit has widened since the import of heavy machinery being used in construction of Infrastructure, Roads, Energy Power Plants under CPEC Project. Let 46 SEZs come into full swing under CPEC (Nine SEZ's initially) then the trade deficit will reduce.

Pakistan's trade deficit has widened since the import of heavy machinery being used in construction of Infrastructure, Roads, Energy Power Plants under CPEC Project. Let 46 SEZs come into full swing under CPEC (Nine SEZ's initially) then the trade deficit will reduce.

Which industries in Pakistan are expected to improve their exports as a result?
Textiles and Finished Textile products is a given.
What others will benefit?

No offense and honestly speaking Pakistan needs to talk less and do more. Sharif promised to provide 1 million new jobs, exports to 100b, nothing happened.

It's very complicated. The problem is hardware (roads, ports, power) but also software (human skill base, outlook, practices, business culture, social outlook) and I am not fan of Nawaz Sharif but the issue is bigger than any single party or government. Out of both problems the software problem is harder to sort out. But it can be done with time. Needs a dedicated thread to deal with this subject.

dedicated thread - maybe a dedicated forum

dedicated thread - maybe a dedicated forum
Snide and unhelpful remarks to genuinely good quality posts are not needed. It lowers the overall quality of a board and puts people off. Try to behave like an adult if possible.

Snide and unhelpful remarks to genuinely good quality posts are not needed. It lowers the overall quality of a board and puts people off. Try to behave like an adult if possible.

I agreed with Kaptaan remarks. No offense was meant to anybody

Roads, powerplants, ports, refineries - all stuff in support of the trans-shipment trade. Also tax breaks on mining investments and extraction but that has nothing to do with the manufacturing mentioned above.
Are you kidding here? Okay I own a shoe factory in Peshawar. You own a retail chain USA. You order 100,000 shoes from me.

* My plant shuts down for 18 out of 24 hours because of load shedding. [Powerplants?]
* My plant is 950 miles from Karachi port. Road network is terrible. Take three times longer and twice
more expensive then it should be [Roads?]
* My plant exports products through ports that are slow and overcrowded adding costs [Ports]

Infrastructure is absolute for development. In fact the state should focus on providing A class infra and let the private sector do the rest.

Most of the industry, specially heavy industry is located in south of Germany, while ports are in northern states.
@Solomon2 what you think it ensures the on time delivery to and from these heavily industrialized southern states ?

Countries take pride in creating innovative solutions that will find high demand in the global marketplace. In large part, the Pakistani population has been conditioned into a state of mental submission. This is an actual experience of an investor who wanted to import a new type of cement from Germany and setup a plant here. The new cement requires radical new methods of application. So he went out into the market and at random picked someone to do a job for him using the new cement. This guy was a Pathan. He says, even after giving any number of explanations that this new cement requires very minimal application, the guy single-mindedly refused to listen and kept applying his same old technique.

That same investor asked an ironworks shop to create a metal grille for him. The end result had welding marks all over it. When he gently mentioned this to the worker, he was faced with anger in return. The guy says people don't take pride in what they create, and see no value in achieving the very best.

This pathetic approach of lack of quality is a major contributor to our exports not finding markets.

Finally, one more aspect. Back in the late 1990s my mother went to UAE. She was told by people working there that high quality Pakistani exported foods are relabelled as Indian, whereas low quality Indian stuff is labelled Pakistani.

My own experience here in Sydney. I went out to find the best Basmati rice available. I was informed about the Indian 'Dhuna Dheri' by Indiagate. So I tried it, and it is truly exceptional. It lives up to the expectations I got by reading the packaging. Then one day I ran into an Indian Muslim shopkeeper who said 'Have you tried Pakistani rice? It is so wonderful'. The funny thing is, he didn't keep this 'wonderful' rice in his shop. I asked him to get some for me. I kid you not, it took months of reminding him. One day when I reminded him, he told me to stay in the shop and went off to get some. He was away for maybe half an hour, returning with a package that proclaimed 'A1 quality, polished Basmati rice'. But when I tried it at home, it was nothing to write about at all. That's when I realized that Indian guy was being extremely sarcastic.

With this type of image, how can we expect people to desire the products we sell?

To summarize, there are two aspects: our own abysmal lack of quality, and vengeful animosity of enemies who lose no opportunity to degrade us throughout the world.

Are you kidding here? Okay I own a shoe factory in Peshawar. You own a retail chain USA. You order 100,000 shoes from me.

* My plant shuts down for 18 out of 24 hours because of load shedding. [Powerplants?]
* My plant is 950 miles from Karachi port. Road network is terrible. Take three times longer and twice
more expensive then it should be [Roads?]
* My plant exports products through ports that are slow and overcrowded adding costs [Ports]

Infrastructure is absolute for development. In fact the state should focus on providing A class infra and let the private sector do the rest.
Thank you for the much-needed reminder of the state of infrastructure in Pakistan.

Finally, one more aspect. Back in the late 1990s my mother went to UAE. She was told by people working there that high quality Pakistani exported foods are relabelled as Indian, whereas low quality Indian stuff is labelled Pakistani.

This is the kind of fevered Pakistanyat fantasies they feed their children. the result is there for the world to see. No Pakistani has even a semblance of simple common logic left, subsumed under ever wilder fantasies that feed on each other. ( Australia has one of the world's toughest food regulations ). As do the gulf countries.
There really is no hope, even if you begin the project to heal these damaged minds, it would take a thousand years before a Pakistani would be able to recognise what is front of his face.

Back
Top Bottom