Pakistan’s auto sector in trouble but used car demand rises

Pakistan Space Agency

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan's auto sector in trouble but used car demand rises
By omar qureshi
Oct.30,2019

KARACHI: Pakistan’s auto sector is in trouble and many analysts have termed the current phase an all-time low for the industry.

From only three players initially, which dominated the market, a handful of new companies expressed interest in investing in the sector in the past couple of years. Some of these new entrants have already entered the country while others are expected to enter soon.

A number of developments in the past two years have adversely impacted the existing players, hence pulling the sector down. Several rounds of currency devaluation coupled with fresh levies have hit the carmakers hard.

The rupee has lost 49% of its value since December 2017, following which the auto companies have massively hiked car prices. A slowdown in the economy, rising inflation and declining purchasing power of consumers have dented profit margins of all the three players, which has been reflected in their latest financial results.

Recently, two of the three automakers had to halt production due to growing stockpile and meagre demand.

Latest statistics of the Pakistan Automotive Manufacturers Association (Pama) revealed that car sales in Pakistan fell 39% in September 2019 compared to the same period of previous year. Around 11,724 units were sold in the previous month compared to 19,345 units in September 2018.

Things may be going from bad to worse for the big three Japanese automakers, but there are some who have emerged as gainers in this situation.

The second-hand car segment has witnessed a spike in business activity. Officials revealed that demand for used cars had surged in the past one and a half year.

Japanese Car Dealers Association Pakistan Information Secretary Umer Rashad told The Express Tribune that sales of second-hand cars had gone up.

“We have noticed a drastic drop in sales of locally assembled new cars and freshly imported cars due to multiple rounds of devaluation,” he said. “Consumers are consistently demanding older and cheaper cars.”

He added that the sluggish sales volume of new cars had dented the income of many vehicle dealers.

Rashad pointed out that demand and supply forces had pushed used car prices upwards as well because sellers always priced their used cars in line with changes in rates for new vehicles.

However, he said due to a fall in the purchasing power, sales of all types of cars (new and used) had decreased because of consumer scepticism and a lower disposable income.

He pointed out that the consumers, who earlier preferred two to three-year-old cars, were now demanding five to eight-year-old vehicles due to fall in their disposable income.

“Within the used car segment, the demand for older cars has increased compared to relatively newer used cars,” he said. “At present, the market seems to be at an all-time low.”

Talking about the new taxes imposed in the budget for 2019-20, he said more taxes simply meant higher prices, resulting in even lower demand, which would prove detrimental for the government’s vision of attracting new entrants into the auto industry.

He was of the view that a major problem in the auto industry was supply, not demand, adding that the local industry did not have the capacity to meet demand. Earlier, the gap was filled by imports, which created a fair bit of competition.

Imported cars

Ever since SRO52 has come into force, the arrival of imported used cars has almost dropped to zero.

Rashad was of the view that imports had not completely halted rather the figure had shrunk to 5-10%. “Around 50,000-70,000 cars were imported each year prior to the imposition of SRO52, but now the figure has dropped to 6,000,” he said.

In the past, cars up to five-year-old were imported under the personal baggage, transfer of residence and gift schemes meant for the overseas Pakistanis. When the import was possible, nearly 95% of the imported used cars were Japanese.

Now, the government has made the procedure extremely difficult due to which those who earlier desired to buy imported cars are now going for local cars. Perhaps, this is another reason why the second-hand car market has experienced a spike in activity.

Echoing Rashad’s views, Japanese car importer Imran Zaman said demand for used cars had indeed increased in the past one and a half year due to rupee devaluation followed by price hikes.

He was of the view that the imposition of federal excise duty on cars of all engine capacities in the recent budget had dented sales of new cars and shifted potential consumers to second-hand vehicles.

It is pertinent to mention that FED was earlier only applicable to cars of 1,700cc and above.

He added that sales of second-hand cars would never fall because these were priced way below new cars, which gave buyers an advantage.

Consumers

Syed Jawad, who bought a second-hand car to drive as Uber, stated that the second-hand market had expanded since ride-hailing firms entered Pakistan. He pointed out that many drivers employed by the company had bought used cars rather than new ones because they found those cars affordable.

What the industry has to say

Talking to The Express Tribune, Indus Motor Company CEO Ali Asghar Jamali said taxes imposed by the government on the automobile sector coupled with reduction in purchasing power of the consumers arising due to economic slowdown had caused a decline in sales of new automobiles. However, he expressed optimism that the automobile sector of Pakistan would take off after some time.

“There is a massive potential in this sector and sooner or later it will recover and thrive,” he said.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/2089691/2-pakistans-auto-sector-trouble-used-car-demand-rises/?amp=1

Another one PM Khan and his Shaikh Chilli PTI Government's economic crash and burn marvels.

Thank you PM Khan for imposing poverty on the nation.

err no... what they did was technically the correct steps.. cut down non essential imports.

The true cultprit here the car makers who despite decades in the industry still could not localize production for what very simple cars .. like VW beetle did for Mexico.

now judging by comments you seem to have very limited or poor knowledge/understanding of economics or you are noonie.

have no fear I am here to educate.

watch this it should help understand matter better

Lol spin of paid media. Honda reported a loss in PROFITS of 2%. They merely assemble in Pakistan, charge sky high prices and then wonder when in turbulent global markets they make less money.

Roll on Kia, Nissan, Proton and Hyundai - give the greedy Japanese 3 some competition.

Big 3 mafia getting the short end of the stick. Good.

Total fake and paid.article.my neighbour has 5 xars and they are for sale but no one ia buying. And who want to buy 10 lac car.

Total fake and paid.article.my neighbour has 5 xars and they are for sale but no one ia buying. And who want to buy 10 lac car.
A person in need would want to buy a car. If people are not buying it doesn't mean they don't need a car, they no longer can afford a car. I am all in for GOVT to strong arm the monopoly of big three but GOVT is busy strong arming middle class. Apart from putting more taxes like FED on buyer what exactly have the GOVT done to increase the quality of cars in Pakistan?

The industry is not in trouble because GOVT took measures in favor of common Pakistani. Sales are going down because GOVT robbed us from our savings through devaluation. I myself had a budget of 1.3 million to buy a new 1000cc car and now I can only afford a used one. There is no doubt that demand of used cars is on the rise and prices are increased up to 3lacs on used ones.

Thats good news..Death to the big 3.
Its not a good news. Its a waste of money. We have brought so many players when market at its lowest. Some will shutdown their plant Permanently some will run On or Off or will permanently closed some production lines and hardly any company will make profit.
Also its make more sense to import parts instead of producing them locally when order is small.
Other then 3 Japanese we now have
Hyundai
Kia
FAW
United
Road Prince
Sazgar Baic
Proton
Peugeot (French)
Ghandara etc
+ 1 EV setup in pipeline

Its not a good news. Its a waste of money. We have brought so many players when market at its lowest. Some will shutdown their plant Permanently some will run On or Off or will permanently closed some production lines and hardly any company will make profit.
Also its make more sense to import parts instead of producing them locally when order is small.
Other then 3 Japanese we now have
Hyundai
Kia
FAW
United
Road Prince
Sazgar Baic
Proton
Peugeot (French)
Ghandara etc
+ 1 EV setup in pipeline
GVOT has ruined the auto policy and trust of new entrants in my opinion. On one hand we have the economic slowdown and on the other hand GOVT started ranting about electric vehicles policy. I am not sure why people are thinking here that something great has happen due to reduced sales. In other countries there are examples of auto manufacturers producing cars on no profits just to keep their production lines going during bad times. In Pakistan this mafia is so strong that they stopped producing cars altogether, started closing plants and firing employees.
GOVT haven't took a single step to ensure that people of Pakistan are getting the value for money, necessary safety standards or ensuring that cars don't jump out of reach middle class. Its not BIG THREE who are suffering from this development, its people of Pakistan.

Another one PM Khan and his Shaikh Chilli PTI Government's economic crash and burn marvels.

Yeah Shaikh Chilli economic crash and burn marvel was setting up only an "assembly" plant that imports > 75% of the parts.

For solving the economy we now have to educate patwaris on the difference between "assemble" and "manufacture".

Oh dear....blame is easy...now tell me what have you done for Pakistan. Or even your family that's so special. Come on man. This nation has been robbed. There will be pain

A person in need would want to buy a car. If people are not buying it doesn't mean they don't need a car, they no longer can afford a car. I am all in for GOVT to strong arm the monopoly of big three but GOVT is busy strong arming middle class. Apart from putting more taxes like FED on buyer what exactly have the GOVT done to increase the quality of cars in Pakistan?

The industry is not in trouble because GOVT took measures in favor of common Pakistani. Sales are going down because GOVT robbed us from our savings through devaluation. I myself had a budget of 1.3 million to buy a new 1000cc car and now I can only afford a used one. There is no doubt that demand of used cars is on the rise and prices are increased up to 3lacs on used ones.
If car is the need and one want to buy, then why dont buy used cars?
As you said people cant afford it.right then buy used cars. I am sure used cars are cheaper and mire economical for those who cant buy new ones.

Back
Top Bottom