What's new

Pakistan's 32 Nuclear plants to produce 40,000MW

Well I guarantee this isn't gonna happen within the next twenty years!!!!!

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan is in the process of selecting eight sites for the installation of 32 nuclear power plants, which will generate a total of 40,000 MW electricity, said Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission (PAEC) chairman Dr Ansar Parvez. He did not specify a time frame.

Is this really goona happen...? In this decade..! Don't think so..:(

Regarding time frame, this comes under Pakistan Nuclear vision 2050. Was presented last year and can be searched via google with search keys " Pakistan Space vision 2040, Nuclear program 2050" also discussed at:
NCA okays Nuclear Power Prog 2050, Space Prog 2040

Which reactors do the current plants use? (The ones for electricity generation, I mean.)

Designed by who, which company or country? Do you know the model name?

1 x CANDU Type in karachi (extremely old and near the end of it's life)

2 x CNP-300 operational at Chashma

2 x CNP-300(improved ??) under construction at Chashma and near completion

2 x ACP-1000 under construction at Karachi

Except for first one that was from Canada, the rest are from China.

I must say that nuclear energy is not only clean, but it is also safe, reliable, durable and competitive. Nuclear Energy is a compact, reliable sustainable energy source that reduces carbon emissions and increases energy security. So Yes Nuclear Energy is the solution to energy crisis of Pakistan and this can only be possible by having more nuclear power plants.
One of the big problems with nuclear power is the enormous upfront cost. These reactors are extremely expensive to build. While the returns may be very great, they're also very slow. It can sometimes take decades to recoup initial costs.

The cost of installing new nuclear capacity exceeds $6,000 per Kw in final cost at today's rates or $6 million per Mw.

Therefore, 40,000 Mw would mean capital investment of $240 billion over a period of say 10 years. That means $24 billion per year!! :woot: (Though I think this is a road-map till 2050. I'm not sure. Maybe someone can correct me here. Thanks! However, even $4 billion per year till 2050 is a pretty huge amount. And this doesn't include cost overruns and inflation).

Let's say China funds 50%, still $12 billion per year for 10 years is a pretty enormous amount. And China won't do it for free!! The costs of nuclear generation would have to be shared with them and so the cost you'd be paying per Kw would be probably much more than what you're paying now because you'd need to reimburse the Chinese too! Remember, there re no freebies. Everything comes at a a cost.

Last edited:
@OrionHunter as already noted , that's the target for 2050. For now the target is to achieve 8800 MW by 2025-2030. Of which 3400 MW is already either installed or under different stage of construction. That's excluding KANUPP 1 which would be decommissioned.

Reactors are fine.

Pakistan should also use tidal power, of which Pakistan has great potential for. Supplement this with solar, which again we have great potential and some wind power.

So its 4 NPPs per site?

Where are these billions of dollars coming in?

Do you know how much does it cost?

$2-2.5 billion per plant.

it is one of the least expensive energy source.

One of the big problems with nuclear power is the enormous upfront cost. These reactors are extremely expensive to build. While the returns may be very great, they're also very slow. It can sometimes take decades to recoup initial costs.

The cost of installing new nuclear capacity exceeds $6,000 per Kw in final cost at today's rates or $6 million per Mw.

Therefore, 40,000 Mw would mean capital investment of $240 billion over a period of say 10 years. That means $24 billion per year!! :woot: (Though I think this is a road-map till 2050. I'm not sure. Maybe someone can correct me here. Thanks! However, even $4 billion per year till 2050 is a pretty huge amount. And this doesn't include cost overruns and inflation).

Let's say China funds 50%, still $12 billion per year for 10 years is a pretty enormous amount. And China won't do it for free!! The costs of nuclear generation would have to be shared with them and so the cost you'd be paying per Kw would be probably much more than what you're paying now because you'd need to reimburse the Chinese too! Remember, there re no freebies. Everything comes at a a cost.

Not sure.

China bought the Toshiba-Westinghouse design and plants for reported $3billion a pop.

China seen buying 8 Westinghouse reactors for $24 billion nuclear energy projects| Reuters

8 plants for $24 billion.

Please update your numbers.

Thank you

Sir we should be switching to Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors in the long term.

Business Day Live: Chinese plan to develop new reactors may benefit the world | Thorium Forum

This thread is about Chinese version of the Westinghouse AP1000 Reactors

Thorium is long way off.

AP1000 copy is what Pakistan is buying from China.

Last edited:
$2-2.5 billion per plant.

it is one of the least expensive energy source.

Not sure.

China bought the Toshiba-Westinghouse design and plants for reported $3billion a pop.

China seen buying 8 Westinghouse reactors for $24 billion nuclear energy projects| Reuters

8 plants for $24 billion.

Please update your numbers.

Thank you

This thread is about Chinese version of the Westinghouse AP1000 Reactors

Thorium is long way off.

AP1000 copy is what Pakistan is buying from China.

Which country makes four Nuclear power plants on a single site and violates the safety regulation of International Atomic Energy Agency?

Beside the above, a country like Pakistan, which is on IMF's Extended Fund Facility ( borrowing 425 percent of quota) to pay back the previous loans, pulling out such rabbits from their black hat seems incredible yet entertaining...

Back
Top Bottom