What's new

Pakistani Oil and Gas will finish by 2025-2030, Dr Iqtidar Cheema

Dr Iqtidar Cheema

New Recruit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pakistanis are facing one of the worse oil and gas shortage crises which has crippled the life of many in the country. Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif who is famous for his international tours has canceled his planned tour to Switzerland. He definitely wouldn’t like public to be on the streets once again, protesting against his government. Media is consistently showing the long queues of the public at the petrol and gas station. Minister for Petroleum, Shahid Khaqan Abbasi reported on 21st January that Pakistan has left with only 10 days of oil reserves short of the 20 days.
The current oil and gas crises is a clear matter of poor governance and bad management as the Ministry for Power and Water failed to pay Pakistan State Oil an outstanding debt of 171 billion rupees ($1.7 billion), to import the oil for two months. The fuel shortage has also led to a major decline in electricity generation, causing daily power cuts of more than 12 hours that severely restrain the manufacturing and service sector. The persistent energy crises of the country has adversely affected the national economy. Industrial production has been severely hit; and also triggered social unrest which sometimes turns violent thus, creating law and order problems in many urban centres in the country. According to one estimate energy crises have resulted in an annual loss of about 2 percent of GDP. One of the recent studies suggests total industrial output loss in the range of 12 percent to 37 percent due to power outages.
The Gas shortages will definitely prompt an increase in oil imports, which in turn will both increase the inflationary pressures and the budget deficit. The government has previously estimated that over $15 billion are required to meet the country’s immediate energy needs, and at least twice of this is needed for its longer-term energy plans. A Washington DC based Federal Institute which was proudly visited by the Prime Minister Sharif in October, 2013 has reported that Pakistani Domestic oil and gas supplies are forecast to be exhausted by 2025 and 2030 respectively. The institute has also suggested that Pakistani energy imports could rise to as much as $38 billion by 2015–16 if there is a failure to take action to increase indigenous resources.
It is about time that Pakistani government should work on an effective energy policy. Pakistan has a national energy policy, but it is unresponsive, only partially implemented and implementable, and at the mercy of competing bureaucratic interests. Overall, the sector is poorly managed, exhibiting considerable institutional overlap and poor capacity, a situation that has become more evident as the energy situation has deteriorated. Six ministries and forty-two agencies are involved in Pakistan’s energy policymaking and provision. Successive administrations have added task forces, created special adviser posts, and one-off commissions. But unfortunately, the scale of the problem has now grown beyond any immediate solution. In the last ten years there has been no substantial exploration of energy reservoirs. The government should now act timely and every potential project needs to be initiated to ensure the development of hydropower, wind power, nuclear power, and coal reserves and biomass for the national energy supply mix.

Agree with the above post.

Rule of thumb is to make the reserves last 40 years. Current estimate of recoverable crude oil reserves in Pakistan is about 300-million barrels. We are producing 92,000 bbl. per day or about 33.5 million barrel per year. Unless new reservoirs are found, this production level will exhaust all crude in Pakistan in next 10 years! Are we going to leave Pakistan completely dry and future generations totally dependent on imported oil & gas?

What happens if there is a lengthy war and import via sea becomes risky due to Indian naval attacks? Won’t we risk all the war effort grinding to a halt for the lack of fuel? One of the main reasons why Germany lost the war was lack of fuel for her military machine. We must always have sufficient domestic reserves to supply to the armed forces.

Naturally, oil companies that invested in finding new fields would like to take their money out as quickly as possible, but OGDC is owned by the GOP and the Gov’t can dictate at what rate OGDC should exhaust their reservoirs.

When the price of oil was $100 per bbl.; it made sense to utilise as much domestic oil & gas as possible. Now that there is plenty of oil & LNG in the market and crude oil available at less than $50/- per bbl., Pakistan should reduce production from indigenous wells and use more imported oil. In my humble opinion we are being extremely short sighted

@niaz, sir based on geographic survey data, both on and off shore, is it possible that significant oil reserves are still waiting unexplored? Some limited Internet search shows that the geological formations in Pakistan are suitable for large oil and gas reserves, specially off shore.

Rule of thumb is to make the reserves last 40 years. Current estimate of recoverable crude oil reserves in Pakistan is about 300-million barrels. We are producing 92,000 bbl. per day or about 33.5 million barrel per year. Unless new reservoirs are found, this production level will exhaust all crude in Pakistan in next 10 years! Are we going to leave Pakistan completely dry and future generations totally dependent on imported oil & gas?

What happens if there is a lengthy war and import via sea becomes risky due to Indian naval attacks? Won’t we risk all the war effort grinding to a halt for the lack of fuel? One of the main reasons why Germany lost the war was lack of fuel for her military machine. We must always have sufficient domestic reserves to supply to the armed forces.

Naturally, oil companies that invested in finding new fields would like to take their money out as quickly as possible, but OGDC is owned by the GOP and the Gov’t can dictate at what rate OGDC should exhaust their reservoirs.

When the price of oil was $100 per bbl.; it made sense to utilise as much domestic oil & gas as possible. Now that there is plenty of oil & LNG in the market and crude oil available at less than $50/- per bbl., Pakistan should reduce production from indigenous wells and use more imported oil. In my humble opinion we are being extremely short sighted

What about shale oil and gas known potential reserves. Time is right to start investing in this sector. I read somewhere that Pakistan has the 6th highest shale oil and gas reserves.!?

What about shale oil and gas known potential reserves. Time is right to start investing in this sector. I read somewhere that Pakistan has the 6th highest shale oil and gas reserves.!?

At the current price of oil, investment in the new shale/tight gas projects does not appear to be viable. Additionally given the situation of law & order; FDI has virtually fried up. GOP does not have funds to exploit Thar coal, allocation of funds for a new technology is therefore highly unlikely.

Besides, horizontal drilling is virtual monopoly of the US companies. US being considered our worst enemy by a lot of misguided followers of JUI, JI & even the likes of Gen Hamid Gul; I would say we would have a long wait before this dream comes to fruition.

@niaz, sir based on geographic survey data, both on and off shore, is it possible that significant oil reserves are still waiting unexplored? Some limited Internet search shows that the geological formations in Pakistan are suitable for large oil and gas reserves, specially off shore.

I have been hearing about 50-billion potential reserves since I joined the Oil Industry back in 1967. Do we funds to find these and who is going to finance it? According to the oil Industry estimates all major reservoirs (5-billion bbls & above) have already been discovered. Are we going going to bet our future on the hope of winning a lottery?

Build pipelines. Iran is a natural choice, but if Pakistanis have issue with that, then build undersea pipelines to Oman. If that is not acceptable either, then buy new LNG and oil tankers for your merchant navy with excess capacity for uninterrupted supply. If that is not acceptable either, then go towards hydrogen economy and methanol economy supplied by nuclear reactors, hydroelectric dams, wind power plants and agriculture based methanol production. And if this is also not possible then the stone age is the last possibility.

I would urge you to pick the easiest option: pipelines to Iran.

Shale oil and gas will be mined before 2020 so relax. There is enough reserves to see Pakistan till 2080 at full capacity. By that time fossil fuels will no longer be required. Major powers will stop using oil by 2045.

Pakistanis are facing one of the worse oil and gas shortage crises which has crippled the life of many in the country. Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif who is famous for his international tours has canceled his planned tour to Switzerland. He definitely wouldn’t like public to be on the streets once again, protesting against his government. Media is consistently showing the long queues of the public at the petrol and gas station. Minister for Petroleum, Shahid Khaqan Abbasi reported on 21st January that Pakistan has left with only 10 days of oil reserves short of the 20 days.
The current oil and gas crises is a clear matter of poor governance and bad management as the Ministry for Power and Water failed to pay Pakistan State Oil an outstanding debt of 171 billion rupees ($1.7 billion), to import the oil for two months. The fuel shortage has also led to a major decline in electricity generation, causing daily power cuts of more than 12 hours that severely restrain the manufacturing and service sector. The persistent energy crises of the country has adversely affected the national economy. Industrial production has been severely hit; and also triggered social unrest which sometimes turns violent thus, creating law and order problems in many urban centres in the country. According to one estimate energy crises have resulted in an annual loss of about 2 percent of GDP. One of the recent studies suggests total industrial output loss in the range of 12 percent to 37 percent due to power outages.
The Gas shortages will definitely prompt an increase in oil imports, which in turn will both increase the inflationary pressures and the budget deficit. The government has previously estimated that over $15 billion are required to meet the country’s immediate energy needs, and at least twice of this is needed for its longer-term energy plans. A Washington DC based Federal Institute which was proudly visited by the Prime Minister Sharif in October, 2013 has reported that Pakistani Domestic oil and gas supplies are forecast to be exhausted by 2025 and 2030 respectively. The institute has also suggested that Pakistani energy imports could rise to as much as $38 billion by 2015–16 if there is a failure to take action to increase indigenous resources.
It is about time that Pakistani government should work on an effective energy policy. Pakistan has a national energy policy, but it is unresponsive, only partially implemented and implementable, and at the mercy of competing bureaucratic interests. Overall, the sector is poorly managed, exhibiting considerable institutional overlap and poor capacity, a situation that has become more evident as the energy situation has deteriorated. Six ministries and forty-two agencies are involved in Pakistan’s energy policymaking and provision. Successive administrations have added task forces, created special adviser posts, and one-off commissions. But unfortunately, the scale of the problem has now grown beyond any immediate solution. In the last ten years there has been no substantial exploration of energy reservoirs. The government should now act timely and every potential project needs to be initiated to ensure the development of hydropower, wind power, nuclear power, and coal reserves and biomass for the national energy supply mix.
With the available technology Pakistan has huge shale oil and gas reserves so 2030 is a misleading number.

Would the world stop using petroleum by 2045? Says who? Unless that person has a direct line to the divine, we cannot depend upon it.

To quote from personal experience, when I was completing my M.Sc. dissertation in 1966, I had two job offers, one by the UK National Coal Board and the other by a major oil company. I asked the advice of my supervising Professor. Prof Tailby advised me that ‘Coal’ was the 19th century fuel and on the way out. Nuclear Technology & Petroleum were the way forward. Like all predictions, his were also partially correct; in spite of nuclear, wind, solar and other technologies, coal is still very much around.

In my view it is extremely naïve to ignore current realities in the hope a future ‘manna’ from heaven. A prudent person should always hope for the best but must be prepared for the worst. I can see from various posts from the Honourable Members that Dr Iqtidar Cheema’s article and my concurrence with it has fallen on deaf ears. So be it, exhaust all the fossil fuels as quickly as possible and to hell with the needs of the future generations. I am already 71, at least I shall not be around by the time oil & gas runs out to say “I told you so”.

Last edited:
In my view it is extremely naïve to ignore current realities in the hope a future ‘manna’ from heaven. A prudent person should always hope for the best but must be prepared for the worst. I can see from various posts from the Honourable Members that Dr Iqtidar Cheema’s article and my concurrence with it has fallen on deaf ears. So be it, exhaust all the fossil fuels as quickly as possible and to hell with the needs of the future generations. I am already 71, at least I shall not be around by the time oil & gas runs out to say “I told you so”.

Very well said Sir. There are no shortcuts and the only way is to develop renewables such as hydro, wind and solar plus add coal and nuclear to the energy mix and prolong the depletion of resources. Pakistan is not even a rich country and they are producing power from furnace oil..... that is just wrong. Very short sighted. Probably water shortages will be next....

Would the world stop using petroleum by 2045? Says who? Unless that person has a direct line to the divine, we cannot depend upon it.

To quote from personal experience, when I was completing my M.Sc. dissertation in 1966, I had two job offers, one by the UK National Coal Board and the other by a major oil company. I asked the advice of my supervising Professor. Prof Tailby advised me that ‘Coal’ was the 19th century fuel and on the way out. Nuclear Technology & Petroleum were the way forward. Like all predictions, his were also partially correct; in spite of nuclear, wind, solar and other technologies, coal is still very much around.

Go for solar and nuclear

The time for long wars like WW2 is long over,but I agree pakistan should save oil & gas for future

Shale oil and gas will be mined before 2020 so relax. There is enough reserves to see Pakistan till 2080 at full capacity. By that time fossil fuels will no longer be required. Major powers will stop using oil by 2045.

Unless any fuel stops giving out more energy than it takes to burn it, it will be used for all times to come. Even when people start living on Mars, they will still import wood, coal, oil, and gas from Earth.

Back
Top Bottom