What's new

Pakistani Hindu woman enters elections; Once a landlord's serf

So our country is better.

There is no favoritism. One must go through certain trials to move up ahead in society.

In Pakistan there are no social cushions.

Hahaha trying to compare the political situations of India and Pakistan is akin to comparing a horribly rotten apple with a horribly rotten orange and entering into a discourse on which one of the two tastes better :D

Hahaha trying to compare the political situations of India and Pakistan is akin to comparing a horribly rotten apple with a horribly rotten orange and entering into a discourse on which one of the two tastes better :D

The apple always tastes sweeter than the orange. :D

My sincerest apologies then. I completely misread your post.

True for this case. But look at the bigger picture.
She is a woman of a minority, it's a big blow to those who still believe in feudal system and those who are against empowerment of women and minorities, typically speaking those people tend to be the religious conservatives and Mullahs.

Anyway, the news is to be celebrated nonetheless.

I think you just don't know what you are talking about.
Women are already empowered in Pakistan. They get special privileges that men don't get. Like special seating on buses, separate lounges and as I personally found out, access to malls that I as a single man could not go to.

So again, this is about standing up to landlords who want to keep slaves, this is not about sexes and certainly not about some imaginary mullah who is so powerful that he makes sure women are treated like Animals or something.

Not only Hindus have separate electorate... they cannot vote for Muslim candidates for national elections. Even the reverse is also true. A muslim voter cannot vote for non-muslim candidate.

In this setup Muslim candidates don't give a damn to non-muslim demands. Who ever framed their constitution was biased towards non-muslim minority??

My dear its 2013 Pakistani elections not 1946 British india elections. Separate electorate was there only until partition, under Pakistani laws and present and past constitutions any one can vote and take part in general elections.

@Karachiite @Icewolf @Areesh @Cheetah786

I stand corrected and was misinformed by Wiki. If separate electorate was abolished in 2002 .... have you seen any minority candidates getting elected from general seats since then.

I guess it a good start if main line parties field minority candidates. If main line parties shy away from fielding minorities then their success as independent candidates is remote.

Before I make another blunder someone can correct me if this lady without a degree can contest the election.

If you look at pakistani politics it hast been for educated or carrier oriented people most people until now have shied away from it.
If some one offers alternative to what we have Most educated will vote for him regardless of religious belief yeah some will not but most will.

Last edited by a moderator:
HYDERABAD: When Veero Kolhi made the asset declaration required of candidates for Pakistan’s May elections, she listed the following items: two beds, five mattresses, cooking pots and a bank account with life savings of 2,800 rupees ($ 28).
While she may lack the fortune that is the customary entry ticket to Pakistani politics, Kolhi can make a claim that may resonate more powerfully with poor voters than the wearily familiar promises of her rivals.
For Kolhi embodies a new phenomenon on the campaign trail — she is the first contestant to have escaped the thrall of a feudal-style landowner who forced his workers to toil in conditions akin to modern-day slavery.
“The landlords are sucking our blood,” Kolhi said at her one-room home of mud and bamboo on the outskirts of the southern city of Hyderabad.
“Their managers behave like pimps — they take our daughters and give them to the landlords.” To her supporters, Kolhi’s stand embodies a wider hope that the elections — Pakistan’s first transition between elected civilian governments — will be a step toward a more progressive future for a country plagued by militancy, frequent political gridlock and the worsening persecution of minorities.
To skeptics, the fact that Kolhi has no realistic chance of victory is merely further evidence that even the landmark May 11 vote will offer only a mirage of change to a millions-strong but largely invisible rural underclass.
Yet there is no doubt that hers is a remarkable journey.
A sturdy matriarch in her mid-50s who has 20 grandchildren, Kolhi — a member of Pakistan’s tiny Hindu minority — is the ultimate outsider in an electoral landscape dominated by wealthy male candidates fluent in the art of back room deals.
Possessed of a ready, raucous laugh, but unable to write more than her name, Kolhi was once a “bonded laborer,” the term used in Pakistan for an illegal but widely prevalent form of contemporary serfdom in which entire families toil for years to pay often spurious debts.

On April 5, Kolhi crossed a new threshold in her own odyssey when she stood on the steps of a colonial-era courthouse in Hyderabad and brandished a document officials had just issued, authorizing her to run for the provincial assembly.

Veero Kolhi, center, a laborer turned election candidate talks to her supporters during an election campaign

I think you just don't know what you are talking about.
Women are already empowered in Pakistan. They get special privileges that men don't get. Like special seating on buses, separate lounges and as I personally found out, access to malls that I as a single man could not go to.

So again, this is about standing up to landlords who want to keep slaves, this is not about sexes and certainly not about some imaginary mullah who is so powerful that he makes sure women are treated like Animals or something.

Ah, you don't understand what I'm trying to say.
Perhaps I'm not conveying it correctly.
I meant to say that with regards to it's implications it's more symbolic than anything tangible.

@Karachiite @Icewolf @Areesh @Cheetah786

I stand corrected and was misinformed by Wiki. If separate electorate was abolished in 2002 .... have you seen any minority candidates getting elected from general seats since then.

I guess it a good start if main line parties field minority candidates. If main line parties shy away from fielding minorities then their success as independent candidates is remote.

Before I make another blunder someone can correct me if this lady without a degree can contest the election.

Dr. Daya Ram was elected from PS-72 (general seat)

http://www.ecp.gov.pk/Results/Official/PS.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
She is a Pakistani and she has right to participate in elections.

If she wins then it will be revolution in our politics. Hope she can win and rub it on the face of sharjeel memon.

Dr. Daya Ram was elected from PS-72 (general seat)

http://www.ecp.gov.pk/Results/Official/PS.pdf

Good to know that being a minority you could still be elected in a predominantly muslim country. We have seen Indian americans winning elections in united states in a predominantly Christian country. When stereotypes break down then we will see some real change. In that context Obama election is not only historic, it had broken down lots of stereotypes about blacks in western countries.

Back
Top Bottom