Pakistan
Pakistani Halwa with different style

50668191_586575625081327_2018743841548402688_n.jpg

51177903_586575645081325_7894282295299801088_n.jpg

50684680_586575698414653_5768689429887582208_n.jpg

50988229_586575735081316_5914553988207869952_n.jpg

50609775_586575805081309_4510659376784080896_n.jpg

50843334_586576205081269_1088928974387544064_n.jpg

Boss, I have decided to give you positive rating since you have overcome your fear of using the name 'Pakistan' instead of hiding behind synonyms like 'Desi, Asian, muslim, Indian' etc as if you were ashamed of owning up. Bravo !

Neo Indus Pakistan now SALAFI WE WUZ ARABS AND WE WUZ GANGAS BTFO

Indus_Valley_Civilization,_Early_Phase_(3300-2600_BCE).png

Sooji ka Halwa-A Pakistani Semolina Dessert

Nadia!

If I am going to resort back to my previous eating habits I might as well end my overconsumption with a great bang. One last hurrah, if you will. I asked my mother-in-law to share her recipe for sooji ka halwa (semolina dessert with cardamom, nuts, and green raisins).

Growing up we would eat this on Eid and on other religious holidays. A taste of this halwa brings me back many childhood memories of Eid and summers in Pakistan. Halwa is usually eaten with pooris and chanay. Pooris are a decadent treat that brings the indulgence of halwa to another level. When you buy pooris from the market stall they soak the paper bags and newspaper with oil. Hmm, I might just eat my halwa with a spoon. On the other hand, halwa without poori, poori without halwa, whichever way you look at it something is missing.

My mother-in-law was quite excited for me to make this with her and also that I would be posting it. She can make anything Pakistani and it most surely turns out to be absolutely amazing. She doesn’t even trust me in the kitchen, partially because I cut corners where oil, butter, and ghee are concerned and she is never satisfied with food unless it is made by her. If I help her in the kitchen my position is reserved for chopping onions and assembling her mise en place. I have learned a great deal by watching her cook on our visits to my in-laws. I might use less oil or whatever but, the main concept of sharing a recipe and learning from others is there, something that is priceless. I have added new dish to my repertoire, a dish of tradition that I can share on upcoming Eid with others.

Sooji ka Halwa (Semolina Dessert with Cardamom, Nuts, and Green Raisins)

Serves 4-6 (servings here are relative, it could serve 8 if only having a small quantity)

Ingredients

1 1/3 cup finely ground semolina, sooji found in Indian-Pakistani grocers

1 1/3 cup sugar

1/4 cup canola oil

4 tablespoons unsalted butter

5 green cardamoms, slightly crushed

2 cups water

1/3 cup toasted slivered almonds (can use whole almonds with skin and sliver them), plus extra for garnish

1/3 cup green raisins or sultanas, plus extra for garnish

3-4 drops of kewra water or rose water, optional

a few leaves of edible silver leaf, warq (we couldn’t find it, thus did not use it)

Method

Heat a wide pan on medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of butter and the oil and drop in the cardamom pods and allow the aroma to infuse the oil for about 2 minutes. Add in the semolina and stir the oil with the semolina so that it absorbs and becomes dry.

Keep stirring every 30 seconds until the semolina until the color changes and you smell the fragrance of slight roasting. Roast until light brown, about 7-10 minutes and then add the remaining 2 tablespoons on butter and allow it ooze and melt into the semolina. Remove the pan from the heat and add in the sugar and mix until combined.

Next, stream in the water and return to the heat (increase the heat to medium-high) and keep stirring until the semolina thickens, about 5 minutes. When it has thickened reduce the heat to low. Add in raisins, almonds, and the few drops of kewra water (if you are using it). The consistency should be that of a thick porridge or oatmeal. Garnish with the silver leaf, raisins, and almonds. Serve warm or some like it chilled. For a real treat serve with pooris.

*optional-you may infuse the oil with a few strands of saffron if you like.

this is unhealthy stuff
And what makes you think McDonalds,Soft drinks ,KFC and Donuts are healthy... Problem with our generation is this that we find our traditional food unhealthy but on the another hand we keep on eating unhealthy fast food and not to forget Pepsi's or Coke's....

P.s Most of these Halwas are south asian not pakistani ....

And what makes you think McDonalds,Soft drinks ,KFC and Donuts are healthy... Problem with our generation is this that we find our traditional food unhealthy but on the another hand we keep on eating unhealthy fast food and not to forget Pepsi's or Coke's....

P.s Most of these Halwas are south asian not pakistani ....

i won't vouch for soft drinks or mcdonalds. personally i find turkish sweets have right amount of sugar - baklava or turkish delight

Boss, I have decided to give you positive rating since you have overcome your fear of using the name 'Pakistan' instead of hiding behind synonyms like 'Desi, Asian, muslim, Indian' etc as if you were ashamed of owning up. Bravo !
sir why would one use desi asian or muslim name when its Pakistan specific item?

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom