What's new

Pakistani given senior finance ministry position in UK

Hafizzz

Reaction score
Pakistani given senior finance ministry position in UK - thenews.com.pk

LONDON: Britain’s new Financial Secretary to the Treasury Sajid Javid MP has said that Britain recognised the damage done by money laundering to the regulated government systems and was serious in tackling it.

The high-profile Pakistani origin Conservative Party MP for Bromsgrove — who was promoted by Prime Minister David Cameron to the senior Treasury post in the cabinet reshuffle last week — said that most countries with big banks take money laundering seriously “much more today than 20 or so years ago.”

Sajid Javid, who was born in Rochdale in Manchester, said he was proud of his Pakistan background. “I am proud of my heritage and where my parents came from. I have visited Pakistan many times and it’s a place where my mother goes every year and comes back with a lot of stories and gifts. I have always been in touch with Pakistan but my home is always Britain, its where I was born grew up andlearnt. I stay in touch with Pakistani current affairs and have loved going there for a couple of weddings.”Sajid Javid said that as a child of Pakistani immigrants growing up in a working class area of Manchester, he didn’t face racism and was not aware, as a child, he was different or anything like that “but I noticed the difference when at the age of four, I arrived at the school and found out that I spoke Punjabi only.”

He added that its in the interest of all countries including Pakistan to tackle money laundering in its all forms.

In an exclusive interview with Geo News after his rise in the government, the former banker said: “This has become a bigger issue as to how people launder the money. They have become a lot more sophisticated. We have to make sure that we have enough resources dedicated to tackling this problem and we are making sure that we have right resources dedicated to it.”

Britain has seen rise in cases in recent years where it has come to public knowledge that huge amounts of money were laundered from and to between Pakistan and Britain by the people of Pakistan origin.

Sajid Javid’s rise in the government is important because he comes from a state school background whereas several important position holders in the current coalition government come from the privileged, private school background. Sajid was elected in the 2010 general election. Before being elected MP, he worked in business and finance.

Sajid’s responsibilities include financial services policy and overall strategic relationship with UK financial services. The Secretary also oversees the EU budget and provides support to the Chancellor on EU and wider international finance issues.

Speaking about his appointment, Sajid Javid said he was “delighted” with Prime Minister Cameron’s decision. He said he looked forward to playing his role to “help the UK economy recover so that it continues to grow and creates more jobs and the growth stays that way.” He said Britain went into recession due to the policies followed by the previous Labour government but the economy under the coalition government of Conservatives and Liberal Democrats has “turned a corner.”

Sajid continued: “It (Punjabi) was a gift from my parents, I still speak Punjabi and understand Urdu well. But growing up I didn’t face hostility and it was not a thought on my mind as I had friends from all sorts of backgrounds.”

Sajid said after having travelled almost all corners of the world he can say with full confidence that “the UK is the most tolerant country in the world. In Britain, it doesn’t matter what your colour or background or race is, it’s a country where you can settle down and people will respect you for what you are and what you are doing.”

He was attracted to the Conservative politics after he came across, at a young age, the views and politics former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. “She was the greatest peace time prime minister of this country. She sorted out a lot of mess created by the Labour Party and as a child I watched her do great things to this country. As I grew up, I started to like her politics and the Conservative Party because its a party that believes in freedom and liberty. It is a party that believes that the government should be there help the most vulnerable when you need it.”

Sitting in his vast modern office a few doors from Chancellor George Osborne’s office, Sajid defended the latest immigration bill by the government which has been harshly criticised by the migrant groups and human rights organisations because the bill curtails the rights of immigrants who have applied for stay in Britain. “This bill is targeted at one things and that’s illegality.

No country would tolerate illegal immigrations. There are people who come to this country for two weeks and end up staying for several months. It something nobody likes whether Pakistani or Indians or no matter what background. Nobody likes it when benefits and services are accessed illegally. Britons look at their own family circumstances and wonder why don’t others have to abide by the rules. The government is doing the right thing.”

Sajid said that Britain and Pakistan enjoy a “warm relationship” and “it will stay like that”. He added: “It’s an important relationship for both countries, for the people of both countries. British Pakistanis have helped build that relationship. The UK has expanded its international aid budget so much that Pakistan is going to be the biggest recipient of aid so that Pakistan invests in nutrition, healthcare, and schools. We are working hard to boost trade between the two countries, whether its services or goods. One of the best ways to help a country like Pakistan in difficult circumstances is to do more trade with to help it create jobs. It’s something the UK’s Senior Foreign Office Minister Baroness Sayeeda Warsi has been focused on doing.”

The way British Pakistanis have influenced in UK politics I wouldn't be surprised if one day we have a British Pakistani Prime Minister in UK

The way British Pakistanis have influenced in UK politics I wouldn't be surprised if one day we have a British Pakistani Prime Minister in UK

Yes and that day will come soon. Go Pakistan Go !!!

:)

Pakistani is not an enthno-linguistic/racial identity,its like being an Australian or a Canadian. If you are not born and raised here, you are not one of us as a matter of identity. It takes living and experiencing a culture, its goods and ills, strengths and weaknesses, in order to adopt that identity.

Overseas born and bread kids are technically not Pakistanis - they have British/American/Canadian with 'Pakistani heritage'.

....... Why are comments such as above only find voice when something bad is being attributed to people of Pakistani heritage. On positive news items, such distinctions are quickly forgotten/ignored ;)

:)
....... Why are comments such as above only find voice when something bad is being attributed to people of Pakistani heritage. On positive news items, such distinctions are quickly forgotten/ignored ;)

South Asians will have a lot influence in the coming decades. Indians are doing pretty good! Proud of them.

We're just too many!

If I had one advice for Muslims Brothers, that would be just go easy on the religion & stop building mosques every second street.

"we get it you guys have money"

Spend it where it counts not building 10 mosques in 1 square mile.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom