What's new

Pakistani Ahmadis to boycott elections to protest separate voter list

Pakistani E

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Ahmadis won't vote on 25th: spokesperson

LAHORE: Spokesperson for the Ahmadiyya Community in Pakistan Saleem-ud-Din has dissociated the community from the upcoming general elections.

He said though the elections are ostensibly being held under a joint electoral system, there is, however, a separate voter list for Ahmadis. The process for the registration of votes and the preparation of the voter lists is now completed. The forms issued for the registration of the votes include the religion box and the Oath-Declaration.

“Currently there is one voter list that includes all religious groups including Muslims, Hindus, Christians, Zoroastrians, and Sikhs, whereas in the case of Ahmadis, a separate voter list is being prepared bearing the titles Qadiani Men/Women. This ‘discriminatory’ treatment on the basis of religion is a deliberate attempt to disenfranchise the Ahmadis of Pakistan from the electoral process by to all intents and purposes denying them their right of vote. Such prejudicial behaviour is an open violation of Pakistani Ahmadis as citizens of the state and goes against the vision of the founding father of the country Muhammad Ali Jinnah and contravenes the constitution and the joint electoral system,” the spokesperson alleged. He said under these circumstances, Ahmadis consider taking part in the elections against their faith. And if there is anyone who may be contesting these elections as an Ahmadi, then he cannot and should not be seen as a representative of the Ahmadiyya community as a whole and nor will any Ahmadi accept him as such, he added.

https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/343248-ahmadis-won-t-vote-on-25th-spokesperson

Ahmadis consider taking part in the elections against their faith. And if there is anyone who may be contesting these elections as an Ahmadi, then he cannot and should not be seen as a representative of the Ahmadiyya community as a whole and nor will any Ahmadi accept him as such, he added.

Couldn't understand the issue here? A separate voter list means?

Couldn't understand the issue here? A separate voter list means?

To register as voters or to avail their right to vote, Ahmadis must either renounce their faith or agree to be placed in a separate electoral list and accept their status as non-Muslim. To accept being non-Muslim would be a negation of their belief, thus they opt not to vote.

To register as voters or to avail their right to vote, Ahmadis must either renounce their faith or agree to be placed in a separate electoral list and accept their status as non-Muslim. To accept being non-Muslim would be a negation of their belief, thus they opt not to vote.

What are the current numbers of registered voters?

This is true also for NIC PASSPORTS
It cant be changed...its lost cause...ahmadis should simply stick to being called ahmadis or renounce thy they had a new prophet just like moses, jesus and muhammad just about the time when british were solidifying their control on India

What are the current numbers of registered voters?

Of Ahmadis? They say ~167,000. Though how they have reached this figure when most Ahmadis boycott it, is a mystery to me.

few lost vote wont matter!

I doubt it's really that "few", since both the founding Muslim League and PPP used to court Ahmadi voters. But that's besides the point, it isn't a democracy if you disenfranchise a segment of the electorate.

Do Ahmadiyyas in Israel vote in elections?

If so, they have no problem with Israeli killing, but Pakistan not recognizing them as Muslims is so hurtful.

:confused:

Do Arab Israelis vote in elections? Yes, yes they do. Since they have seats in the Israeli Parliament. Does it mean they have no problem with Israeli killings?

And what has Pakistani Ahmadis got to do with Israeli/Arab Ahmadis in Palestine?

Of Ahmadis? They say ~167,000. Though how they have reached this figure when most Ahmadis boycott it, is a mystery to me.

I doubt it's really that "few", since both the founding Muslim League and PPP used to court Ahmadi voters. But that's besides the point, it isn't a democracy if you disenfranchise a segment of the electorate.
fine it they want to vote they should get themselves registered according to law why the hue and cry! minorities at times are pain in ***!

fine it they want to vote they should get themselves registered according to law why the hue and cry! minorities at times are pain in ***!

If a Mullah can cry, have his weak emotional feelings hurt, and explode in a market full of innocent people. Then, I am quite sure, that a few announcements in the press by Ahmadis, shouldn't be cause for offence. Regardless, thank you for noticing Ahmadis' cry and hue, your noticing this notice has been noticed.

“Currently there is one voter list that includes all religious groups including Muslims, Hindus, Christians, Zoroastrians, and Sikhs, whereas in the case of Ahmadis, a separate voter list is being prepared bearing the titles Qadiani Men/Wome

This is discrimination. First of all I can't think of a reason for separate voters lists for Muslims and non Muslims. Secondly if there is then all non Muslims should be on it, not just Qaidianis.

As a Muslim I believe Muhammad (pbuh) is the final prophet of Allah and all those claiming nabuwat after him are false Prophets. I still don't see why followers of false Prophets need to be on separate voters list.

167,000 only?

Rabwah alag constituency hy yah kissi halkay may ata hy?

I've no idea, probably NA-99 Chiniot-I or NA-100 Chiniot-II?

And yes, that number is far too low, there are probably more Ahmadis in Chiniot district alone.

@Sher Shah Awan

Sher Shah sahib, Thanks for highlighting this. The Ahmedi community has produced outstanding individuals far out of proportion to their population share. Lets hope that things work out better for the community than there is reason to hope for currently.

Regards

Back
Top Bottom