What's new

Pakistan Will Import Electricity From India

45'22'

Reaction score
Country
India
Pakistan has presented a draft MoU to India on importing 1,200 MW of electricity.

A topic of speculation for sometime now, an India-Pakistan electricity deal may finally be on the horizon as Pakistan submitted a draft power trade deal to India this week. The move comes amid reports that Pakistan will imminently grant India most-favored nation (MFN) status and as the World Bank confirms that it will finance the feasibility study and transmission line for implementing the deal, which would see a transfer of 1,200 megawatts of energy from India to Pakistan.

According to an anonymous government source cited by India’s Economic Times, “the World Bank has also offered to finance a feasibility study along with the (installation of) transmission line to import 1,200 MW power from India.” The Pakistani side has presented a draft Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to the Indian side during a recent meeting in New Delhi; the two sides have further coordinated technical working groups reviewing the initial implementation phase of the deal. In the initial phase of the deal, Pakistan would import 500 MW from India, to be enhanced to 1,200 MW at a later date.

Energy-starved Pakistan has been looking beyond its borders to meet its energy needs. The fate of a pipeline project with Iran that would see the transfer of Iranian natural gas to Pakistan has become increasingly uncertain after Iran cancelled a scheduled loan to Pakistan that would allow it to complete the parts of the pipeline that run within its territory. Pakistan has also considered importing 1,000 MW of electricity from Tajikistan.

Strategically, the deal would add an interesting dynamic to the still enduring rivalry between India and Pakistan, despite a relative thaw in recent months. The 1,200 megawatt Indian energy link would become an important carrot for any Pakistani civilian government to prevent an escalation of a military conflict with India. Given Pakistan’s internal energy situation, the 1,200 megawatt inflow will be critical and cannot simply be turned off and replaced by other soruces. India, for its part, could punish Pakistan for serious border violations or unprovoked attacks using this mechanism as well.

The strategic viability of leveraging the electricity transmission line as a geopolitical tool also hinges on the level of trade between the two neighbors. India and Pakistan trade ties have significantly improved since January, and the Composite Dialogue Process between the two neighbors is slated to restart soon. Given that the completion of the energy pipeline is currently slated for 2016, trade ties and the bilateral peace process could make serious advances in the interim.

@LoveIcon and other members

good i wish one of this day we have EU type power stock exchange and all s.asians connected to each other

good i wish one of this day we have EU type power stock exchange and all s.asians connected to each other
1200 MW is good enuff to power 3 big cities
i hope this deal finalises soon

mutual co operation is beneficial for both the countries

we already have enough deceiving and uncertain electricity no more such sort needed. ONLY DEADLY RELIABLE ONE.

we already have enough deceiving and uncertain electricity no more such sort needed. ONLY DEADLY RELIABLE ONE.
:o::o::o:

what are rates its most important qes for me
it wont be cheap.........when an Indian state sells to another they enjoy gud profita
again we will doing the business in dollars if finalized

but i think the govt. will subsidize and the people will get the electricity in the normal rate

Actually India is already connected with Nepal, Bhutan n BD powergrids while plans r underway for connection with Pak, SL n Myanmar.

On the other hand India's own single grid system for whole India is also nearly complete n massive investment in power sector is in full swing.

As the market matures i think a more transparent tariff system will also be establised.:)

Fvcking bastards. There is power outage of 6 hours per day here. Farmers are unable to water their fields sufficiently due to current issues and we are supplying it to pakistan. :hitwall:

Bloody ModaFakas.

Fvcking bastards. There is power outage of 6 hours per day here. Farmers are unable to water their fields sufficiently due to current issues and we are supplying it to pakistan. :hitwall:

Bloody ModaFakas.

Which city/state u belong to mate?:what:

1200 MW is good enuff to power 3 big cities
i hope this deal finalises soon

mutual co operation is beneficial for both the countries
Delhi alone consumes between 4000-5000 MW. So 1200 MW will hardly be enough for 1 city.

India is well connected to Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh.

There are plans to extend the electric grid to Sri Lanka as well - and Pakistan if this deal materializes.

Andhra Pradesh
Power can not be wheeled from North Indian states electricity surplus like Gujarat, Punjab, Himachal and Rajasthan to deficit states like Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu because of massive distances.
The T&D losses would be huge. It makes much more sense to sell the electricity there to Pakistan, earn profit and put up power plants in Andhra directly.

That said, Andhra would have easy access to electricity from North Indian grid (though produced in East Indian states) once the North Indian grid and South Indian grid get connected by higher capacity interlinkages. Currently, its a limited, low load connection. The plan is to add capacity to the link by 2017.

Last edited:
Andhra Pradesh
I stayed in Madhapur for almost 2 years..it used to have power cuts for almost 2/3 hrs everyday in summers and the place is IT capital of Andhra...can't imagine the situation in the rest of the state..

Back
Top Bottom