What's new

Pakistan vs New Zealand: T20 World Cup 2012

Raja.Pakistani

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan, we've been expecting you. The team with the best World Twenty20 record is the last to open its campaign in Sri Lanka. Pakistan have World Twenty20 pedigree. In the first tournament in 2007, they were finalists, and so nearly champions. They won in 2009, and in 2010 they had one foot in the final before Michael Hussey blind-sided them.

They've been put in the toughest group in 2012, with New Zealand and Bangladesh, and will play their first game against the stronger of those teams. Win against New Zealand, and Pakistan are almost certain to make it to the Super Eights; lose, and they will face a must-win against Bangladesh.

The strength of Mohammad Hafeez's side is unquestionably its bowling. In Saeed Ajmal, Umar Gul and Shahid Afridi, three bowlers of varied skills, Pakistan possess the highest wicket-takers in Twenty20 internationals. Any of those bowlers can turn a Twenty20 game single-handedly and a collective performance can be devastating. Their batting is less formidable; it can be hot or cold. In the two warm-ups for the World Twenty20, Pakistan chased 186 successfully against India but failed to achieve 112 against England. The challenge, as ever, will be for Pakistan to combine their enviable talent with discipline.

New Zealand go into this game with the opportunity to win Group D. Doing so will make their progress to the Super Eight independent of the result of the Pakistan-Bangladesh fixture. Their evisceration of Bangladesh by 59 runs on Friday was almost faultless. The key battle in that game was tipped to be between New Zealand's batsmen and Bangladesh's spinners. They took 117 off 12 overs from the slow men. A strong performance against a more formidable Pakistan will make people sit up and take notice of a team that isn't considered to be a strong contender for the 2012 title.

Form guide
(completed matches, most recent first)
Pakistan: LWWWL
New Zealand: WWLLL

Watch out for
The majority of New Zealand batsmen: Brendon McCullum, with his 123 off 58 balls, demolished Bangladesh single-handedly. So aggressive was his approach and so clinical his execution that there was almost no pressure on his team-mates. All they needed to do was give McCullum strike. It's unlikely that anyone will play as explosive an innings against Pakistan, so the contributions need to be more collective to reduce the reliance on McCullum and Ross Taylor.

Saeed and Shahid: In Ajmal and Afridi, not only do Pakistan possess the highest and third highest wicket-takers in this format, but also the third and fourth lowest economy-rates among bowlers who've played at least 20 Twenty20 internationals. Ajmal goes at 6.03 per over on average and Afridi 6.10. They strike and they stifle.

Team news
New Zealand may not make any changes to the XI that beat Bangladesh, but it is likely they will change their batting order. James Franklin, the left-handed allrounder, opened with Martin Guptill in the first game to combat Bangladesh's left-arm spin, but Rob Nicol could return to the top on Sunday.

New Zealand (probable): 1 Martin Guptill, 2 Rob Nicol, 3 Brendon McCullum (wk), 4 Ross Taylor (capt), 5 Kane Williamson, 6 James Franklin, 7 Jacob Oram, 8 Daniel Vettori, 9 Nathan McCullum, 10 Tim Southee, 11 Kyle Mills.

The four players Pakistan are likely to leave out of their starting line-up are Asad Shafiq, Mohammad Sami, Raza Hasan and Yasir Arafat.

Pakistan (probable): 1 Mohammad Hafeez, 2 Imran Nazir, 3 Nasir Jamshed, 4 Kamran Akmal (wk), 5 Umar Akmal, 6 Shoaib Malik, 7 Shahid Afridi, 8 Abdul Razzaq, 9 Sohail Tanvir, 10 Umar Gul, 11 Saeed Ajmal.

Pitch and conditions
The forecast is for some showers in Pallekele. It threatened to rain during the Bangladesh-New Zealand game as well but there were no interruptions. The spinners didn't get much turn either, with the ball coming on to the bat.

Stats and trivia
Pakistan played New Zealand in Pallekele during the 2011 World Cup and fed Ross Taylor a diet of full tosses and deliveries that were too straight. He scored 131 off 124 balls.
New Zealand and Pakistan have played eight Twenty20 internationals and the head-to-head record is 5-3 in Pakistan's favour. New Zealand's three wins, however, came in the last four matches.
In Twenty20 matches over the last 12 months, Afridi and Ajmal have economy-rates of less than six an over. Mohammad Hafeez and Sohail Tanvir conceded 5.82 and 5.94 on average during this period.
Quotes
"I've run out of words to praise him. His T20 performances have been match winning for Pakistan. Yes, recently, he has not performed very well but the way he is working hard and focusing on this tournament, I wish him the very best, and God willing he performs well for the team as always."
Pakistan captain Mohammad Hafeez on Shahid Afridi

"It didn't spin as much as we thought it might. When you play a second time on it, it could probably spin a little bit more. We'll have to wait and see."
Ross Taylor, the New Zealand captain, on the Pallekele pitch.

Our US readers can watch the match live here, coverage starts 30 minutes before the game begins.

source ; Pakistan set for late entrance against New Zealand | Cricket News | ICC World Twenty20 2012 | ESPN Cricinfo

What are your expectation/prediction?
:)

Pakistan has shown some real weaknesses.

The bowlers couldn't tighten up their bowling against India and a simple run chase was blown by poor cricketing shots.

I think Pakistan should play to its strengths... Don't put in an extra batsman, put in an extra bowler.

I hope Imran Nazir clicks and he should come one down, not on top. Opening has to be done by in form reliable batsmen - Hafeez and Jamshed.

oh le - main abhi tak soya nahi and the match is expected to begin at 10:00GMT :cry:

Most likely, I will be sleeping at that time :cry:

Not pushing them too much under the burden of my expectations.The better team should win.

Pakistan has shown some real weaknesses.

The bowlers couldn't tighten up their bowling against India and a simple run chase was blown by poor cricketing shots.

I think Pakistan should play to its strengths... Don't put in an extra batsman, put in an extra bowler.

I hope Imran Nazir clicks and he should come one down, not on top. Opening has to be done by in form reliable batsmen - Hafeez and Jamshed.

It will be competition of batting as new Zewland don't have good bowling attack either..they scored 191 against bangldesh

oh le - main abhi tak soya nahi and the match is expected to begin at 10:00GMT :cry:

Most likely, I will be sleeping at that time :cry:

you still awake at 4.43 am..you can stay awake for few more hours :D

It will be competition of batting as new Zewland don't have good bowling attack either..they scored 191 against bangldesh

you still awake at 4.43 am..you can stay awake for few more hours :D

10:00 GMT = 11:00BST and then 3 hours of match meaning I would only be able to sleep after 12 hours... and I am already feeling sleepy :lol:

@ topic

For me in this match New Zealand is favourite but hey I am not undermining Pakistan. NZ is in good form and they have a better batting line up in my opinion

10:00 GMT = 11:00BST and then 3 hours of match meaning I would only be able to sleep after 12 hours... and I am feeling sleepy :lol:

@ topic

For me in this match New Zealand is favourite but hey I am not undermining Pakistan. NZ is in good form and they have a better batting line in my opinion

same case is here but i will compromise my sleep for this match :D

I think Pakistan is favourite if we look at past record against new Zealand

10:00 GMT = 11:00BST and then 3 hours of match meaning I would only be able to sleep after 12 hours... and I am already feeling sleepy :lol:

@ topic

For me in this match New Zealand is favourite but hey I am not undermining Pakistan. NZ is in good form and they have a better batting line up in my opinion

What's a little issue of personal health and well being in exchange for a chance to see T20 WC match of Pakistan? :D

You got a few hours... Catch some shut eye. Put 10 alarms to wake up and voila.

i am sure Insha ALLAH our team will easily counter them , if they go with certain game plan and determination

I kid you not, this is going to be a hard earned win for Pakistan. The momentun is with New Zealand, nothing short of everyone's best would be required.

Pakistan face uphill task against Kiwis - Khaleej Times

Pakistan start their 2012 World Twenty20 campaign against in-form New Zealand on Sunday. It will be a tough opening game for a Pakistan side which has got the talent but they fail to deliver on numerous occasions because of lack of planning.
Pakistan are considered a good T20 side as record shows — they were runners-up in 2007, winners in 2009 and semi-finalists in 2010.

Fast bowling used to be the hall mark of Pakistan and the country is known for producing pacers from nowhere. But the unavailability of Mohammad Aamer, Mohammad Asif and the retirement of Shoaib Akhtar left a great gap in the fast bowling department.

Sohail Tanvir and Umar Gul are doing their job but Pakistan has started depending heavily on spinners to win matches.

Saeed Ajmal has improved tremendously in recent years and after Shahid Afridi’s removal as captain he got more and more chances to bowl and has emerged as the match-winner for Pakistan.

The wily off-spinner from Faisalabad will be key to restrict New Zealand top order.

His four-over spell could be a decisive factor in the outcome of the match in Pallekele.

Branden McCullum, the top-ranked T20 batsman, is in the form of his life as he won the one-off game against India and scored the first century of the tournament to help Kiwis outplay Bangladesh on Friday.

Pakistan have to stop the wicketkeeper-batsman in his tracks if they harbour any hopes to win the match and progress in the tournament.

Ross Taylor is another dangerous player who tore Pakistan bowling apart in the 2011 World Cup. Coupled with good fielding New Zealand will be a hard nut to crack for the unpredictable Pakistanis.

If you look at Pakistan batting line-up, it is filled with stroke players. Imran Nazir and Umar Akmal can be match-winners on their day but they need to perform with some sort of consistency.

Umar hasn’t got a big innings under his belt prior to the mega event. He failed against Australia in the UAE and was unable to find form in two warm-up matches in Sri Lanka.

He has been provided with ample chances and time may be running out for him. He needs to set things right sooner than later. The team management and coaches are not very happy with his way of applying himself. He is not learning from his mistakes.

Nasir Jamshed is a good find for Pakistan and the team will be expecting some big innings from the youngster.

Kamran Akmal has announced his comeback with a few big innings and his knock of 92 against India in the warm-up match was a good sign for Pakistan. He can play a key role against New Zealand if he is used wisely — up the order.

He looks a much improved batsman now.

Let us hope for a good contest on Sunday.

liaqat@khaleejtimes.com

i am sure Insha ALLAH our team will easily counter them , if they go with certain game plan and determination

Well new Zealand never been a threat to Pakistan even in ODI ..let see how Pakistan play against them this time..record is good as new zealand lost last three t20 played against Pak and Pakistan also defeated strong teams Australia in t20 series and india in warm up match so hope for the best :D

Pakistan must hit the ground running | DAWN.COM

"Final Words: We look forward to a game of New Zealand versus Pakistan and not Pakistan versus Pakistan. Hopefully the self destruct button will be left behind at the team hotel in Kandy." :(

Ameen!

I'm hopeful, as indicators (as some bro are not seen on the thread)
says we will win Inshallah...

Hafeez six...good keep it up...Alhamdolillah

Pakistan 7/0 (1.4/20 ov)

Imran Nazir FOUR...Alhamdolillah...keep it up AMEEN

Another two fours...Alahamdolillah, Alahmdolillah ...keep it up AMEEN!

another four Alahmdolillah...keep it up...27/3 3.4 overs 7.36 RR

"Imran Nazir has only two 50s in Twenty20 Internationals, and both of those have come against New Zealand, including one in Semi Final of World T20 2007

two fours Alhamdolillah Alhadolillah....keep it up...:)

Another four Alhamdolillah...keep it ...

Back
Top Bottom